Best Posts: I want to quit smoking. Any suggestions?

1. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 17, 2022
    he quit cigs but smokes crack now

Mar 29, 2024
  2. JMG

JMG Teflon

Aug 30, 2022
    I was over a pack a day for 11 and quit over 2 years ago and never looked back. Patches do help if you use them right. I was on a a 3 step system that reduced it over time. Also chewed lot of game and kept tooth pics (flavored) .. I think the most important step is understanding a craving is only 3 minutes at a time.. I did push ups and random bs during these periods. Maybe have some kids too because they were my main inspiration..

Mar 29, 2024
  3. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Aug 29, 2022
    If you couldn't go more than 2 days without smoking, that's a clue that you don't truly want to quit yet. You might insist that you want to quit, but it's probably more accurate to say you've only come around to the conclusion that quitting is something you ought to want to do. That's by no means insignificant, but at this intermediate stage advice on how to quit for people who actually want to quit won't be of much use to you. Sorry to say, but you don't have free will. Nobody does. That is to say, your will is not free from causality, and odds are being advised to "just go cold turkey" won't be enough to cause you to suddenly want to quit smoking after all those years. What you need right now is incentive to quit.
    Try combatting anxiety with anxiety, ideally by turning yourself off to the idea of smoking to the point of dread and disgust. To that end, plunging headlong into the Dr. Google rabbit hole of bad news and horror stories could do you more good than harm in the long term. The list of health risks associated with habitual smoking is almost endless, and some may surprise you. You'll feel like a piece of s--- after learning about all the havoc you've wrought on your body, and the anxiety from this alone might k--- you, but it may be just what you need.

Mar 29, 2024
  4. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Aug 29, 2022
    Start smoking Hard and then it should be a breeze to get of the nicotine

Thank me later

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Aug 29, 2022
    Don't use any quit aid like nicotine gum, vape, or patches. You're just setting yourself up for failure by putting the same substance you're trying to quit back in your body. Cold turkey all the way. Stay away from triggers like alcohol or places/people who you usually smoke around for at least 3 weeks. Drink a s--- load of water. Don't try to make any other big changes like diet or exercise until you're over smoking, but at the same time try to keep busy doing things where smoking isn't allowed. It only takes 3 days to get rid of nicotine from your body, after that it's all mental. You'll still get cravings, especially the first 3 weeks but they slowly go away until you get to a point where you don't even think of them again. Download one of those quit smoking apps that gives you a timeline of the changes you'll go through

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Step Daddy

Aug 30, 2022
    You need to preoccupy your self while quitting. Get into a new activity or something. You also need to separate your self from other smokers, even if it means socializing less with your friends.

Ordinary Joel, Evad, Chuny and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. DKC

DKC hank trill

Aug 30, 2022
    I think with quitting any addiction/bad habit, this is def a key moment. Like SM said, it's kinda an intermediate stage/crossroads where you're like "OK, I know this is having a negative effect on my life. I want to quit in theory, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet." You might not be ready for a number of reasons — maybe you still enjoy it, maybe you're not sure how to go about it, maybe it's just something you've done for so long you don't know how to live life without it.

Some people have success with tapering or slowly changing habits, but I'm with @Worm in that cold turkey is the only thing that's ever worked for me with. For me, making a quit date or saying "I'll stop after I do X" never helped, it's always just a "f--- it I quit" moment where I start changing my habits in that very moment.

If you have one of those moments, don't let it slip because they can be fleeting — throw all your s--- away and stop at that very instant. You have to truly WANT to quit or it's not gonna work.

Mar 29, 2024
  8. dna hits

Mar 9, 2024
    Great actually. Get a refill Monday. I have to take them or I’ll end up drinking in bars getting into trouble with people. Road rage incidents. They should have put me on a benzo since middle school tbh.

Mar 29, 2024
  9. JMG

JMG Teflon

Aug 31, 2022
    You got this. Also watch out for the morning smoke. This is your best chance considering you went hours already. Put the patch on and go for a run instead. Play Not Afraid by Eminem too.

Mar 29, 2024
  10. poopdogg

poopdogg Retired

Aug 30, 2022
    Op please think about it again what if you want to go clubbing next saturday and the hennesy kicks in. I need cigarettes while clubbing if not i am done bruv

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Evad

Evad Balls

Aug 29, 2022
    My advice differs from a lot of the replies here, but what I'd say is don't make your only goal to be sober as that's just pretty much prohibition and will make quitting any vice or drug x10 more miserable. Focus on improving your life and make quitting smoking a part of that plan, start exercising and work towards achieving goals that will better the quality of your life. You can start slowly and small with these things, especially depending on how you're feeling while withdrawing from the nicotine, but incremental improvement will get you further than you can believe in no time.

Mar 29, 2024
  12. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Aug 29, 2022
    I was in the same boat as you years ago.

20-30 a day, for 15+ years of my life.

One day I switched to vaping (this is nearly 10 years ago now - wow). But I purposefully smoked the strongest dosage of nicotine and only smoked tabacco flavour.
    I done this for 2-3 years and every 3-6 months I'd knock down the nicotine strength.
    I went from 24mg (too strong, gave me headaches) to 18mg within the first few weeks
    18mg to 12mg about 6 months later
    12mg to 6mg about 6 months later
    6mg to 3mg (mixed 0 and 6mg together) about 3 months later
    Switched to 0mg about 3 months later
    Then 3 months later and until I felt ready to give it up entirely, I started playing around with different flavours. By the time I got to 3 month gaps in changes instead of 6 I knew the path I was on and it was easy. When I first changed dosage I'd be "smoking" like crazy for the first week or so but eventually my body got used to it.

This journey is probably one of,.if not THE proudest moment of my life. Took will powerful, yes. But initially I didn't do it to quit. My mindset was to switch from cigs to vape - I genuinely had no intention of quitting.

I'm a firm believer in the "marginal gain" mindset. Have an overall goal but measure it in small, fairly insignificant changes over time. Works every time.

Mar 29, 2024
  13. M.I.C.

Aug 29, 2022
    You should trade it for eating a little bit m8 that is quite light weight

Mar 29, 2024
  14. Zebedee

Zebedee Banned

Mar 10, 2024
    @Worm wont do s--- with his goons bro. If he tries anything you have my word that nobody will touch you. One phone call to my shooters in Philly and they’ll be outside the comedy club within an hour ready to throw him in the trunk.

Ordinary Joel, Worm and dna hits like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Worm and dna hits like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 9, 2024
    How's your 365 day supply of benzos working out?

DKC, Ordinary Joel and BIGFOOT like this.
    DKC, Ordinary Joel and BIGFOOT like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. lowkitz

lowkitz https://twitch.tv/lowkitzz

Oct 17, 2022
    Nothing wrong with a little crack rock every now and then to balance ur mood

Minato, Ordinary Joel and Evad like this.
    Minato, Ordinary Joel and Evad like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Lucy

Lucy #1

Oct 17, 2022
    It turns out it was just my posts stressing him pit so he's deleted like 12 of them now and hasn't posted since

Ordinary Joel, JMG and Evad like this.
    Ordinary Joel, JMG and Evad like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Chuny

Chuny +

Sep 1, 2022
    Thank you!
    I don't know which method I'm gonna use. Think I'll try cold turkey and if it doesn't work I'll try with the patches and vape.
    Going to start this Sunday.

Ordinary Joel, Wreckless and Worm like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Wreckless and Worm like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Wreckless

Sep 1, 2022
    Patches are what worked for me.

Tried the vape thing but it never worked. And everyone I know who transfered to vaping ended up vaping more than they smoked.

Patches is basically cold turkey without the uncontrollable nicotine cravings. And you're quitting the mental addiction of having something in your mouth to inhale.

If you're ready to quit, patches will get you there. But you really need to want to quit for them to work. All it takes is a little will power but not nearly as much as cold turkey which was out of the question for me.

Anyway, one of the hardest parts will be avoiding the triggers. That cigarette after dinner. No more of that. No more 5 min smoke breaks at work etc.. s--- sucks but you eventually get used to it and the sense of accomplishment helps you stay on track.

Think about the advantages. The cost, the health, the smell. You don't realize how bad cigs stinks until you've quit. The s--- stinks. You stink and don't realize it.

And try to remember those very first times you tried to smoke when you were 13 or whatever. It tasted terrible and made you feel sick. That's because it's literal poison.

Ordinary Joel, Chuny and hargydon like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Chuny and hargydon like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. Chuny

Chuny +

Aug 31, 2022
    Thanks, I knew I could count on you

BIGFOOT, Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    BIGFOOT, Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024