Eminem Best Posts: Did Eminem restore his legacy with Kamikaze/Side A + B?

1. Wreckless

Sep 29, 2022
    Most people don't realize how much of an influence the Bass Brothers had behind Eminem as an artist and just his overall sound.

You can see here in the Bass Brothers production credits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bass Brothers disappear right around the same time Em's music direction and overall sound completely changes. Em's been flip flopping around with flows, cadences and trying to find an identity ever since.

There's no doubt that the Bass Brothers was one of the main driving forces behind the Eminem music a lot of us grew up with and loved. Em always knew how to rap, but the bass brothers really helped him turn that into actual music.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. Wreckless

Sep 29, 2022
    Only way to fix Em is to bring back the Bass Brothers.

n9ne, BigChungus1221, SLAYAR and 6 others like this.
    n9ne, BigChungus1221, SLAYAR and 6 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. Wreckless

Oct 4, 2022
    As mentionned previously Bass Brothers pretty much taught Em how to rap on beat. How to turn rapping into music.

When I said he needs the Bass Brothers, it's not about what they can bring to the table as far as production. It's about guidance and having a second opinion. He can still seek whoever he wants for production.

These days Em has no one to tell him "no this is wack. Your flow sounds terrible. You should do this it will sound better". And it's not Just Blaze, Illadaproducer or whoever he hires for beats that's going to tell him something shouldn't be done a certain way.

Veterans also need mentors and guidance. Even world champions have a head coach to tell them "you f----- up, wake the f--- up and remember what I taught you".

Apr 24, 2024
  4. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Sep 29, 2022
    Side A+B didn't restore it by any means, but they didn't damage it any further which is actually pretty good for him at this point.

Apr 24, 2024
  5. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo sleepy

Oct 4, 2022
    People often underestimate how important producers can be in music. Even the greatest of artists sometimes need some help being nudged in the right direction. There’s no shame in having help with your music. In fact, it’s smart to have other sets of ears there

DKC, Marshall III, Ids5621 and 4 others like this.
    DKC, Marshall III, Ids5621 and 4 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  6. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo sleepy

Sep 29, 2022
    Eminem will forever be considered one of the GOATs by certain people no matter what he puts out. With that being said, he has irreparably tarnished his legacy. Every album of his since Encore has had majority mixed reviews or bad reviews. I bring that up because the narrative that the opinion of the majority creates plays a heavy hand in his “legacy” and whether or not he has one.

The narrative right now for anyone 30 and under is that Eminem is washed up. I come from one of the “newer generations” and most people my age or younger look at Eminem as an embarrassing cornball who takes himself too seriously but used to be great. Eminem hasn’t given the younger generation much music they vibe with, and that’s a problem. Once the old Eminem fans die, the younger generations will dictate the narrative that could ultimately shape how he’s looked at for the rest of time.

There’s no saving his legacy, he will never be able to shake these narratives that have been created for him now. Just look at how much s--- Michael Jackson, Elvis, Tupac, etc. get these days. At least they were still putting out music the majority f----- with when they died, but not Eminem. So imagine how bad it will be for Em in the future. And based on his recent XXL interview, it’s clear that he has no intentions of even trying to save his legacy. He’s going to cram as many syllables as he can into each s-----y punchline/pun filled bar over boring beats until he dies. There’s no reason to believe otherwise at this point.

He has served the fans s--- filled plate after s--- filled plate for over a decade now, and frankly, I’m fed up with it. Like I said in the Eminem thread, one more mediocre album and I’m done being a fan. I’m not the only one who feels this way either. Other legends knew when to stop or died before they could keep going. Eminem won’t stop.

Apr 24, 2024
  7. Chrollo

Chrollo Moderator

Sep 29, 2022
    No

DKC, Minato, jankland and 4 others like this.
    DKC, Minato, jankland and 4 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  8. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

Oct 4, 2022
    Classic. It’s obvious this is where the magic came from lol.

TecTac, Marshall III, Evad and 3 others like this.
    TecTac, Marshall III, Evad and 3 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  9. hargydon

Oct 4, 2022
    Now it’s just Paul & Luis Resto… god help us

D12Shady, Ids5621, jankland and 3 others like this.
    D12Shady, Ids5621, jankland and 3 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. DKC

DKC hank trill

Oct 4, 2022
    I always see people say this but I don't see why this would change much. As of the past few years he's found modern production that suits him and could get a beat from virtually any producer in the world, the issues are most often his lyrics and flow.

shady389, henzINNIT, jankland and 3 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. Minato

Sep 30, 2022
    He never lost it. MMLP2 was the biggest rap album that year with 2 Massive hits. Revival was still a Multi-platinum record and one of the biggest rap records that year, Kamikaze was the best selling rap album that year, same with MTBMB. Spawning Billion stream hit singles and soundtrack songs. Also if you wanna ignore actual records sales and just talk rapping impact; Em created an entire sector of YouTube reactors community and YouTube post-SoundCloud era rappers. If you want to ignore that and just be on some technical rap ish. He has only gotten better at lyricism over time. So idk what people are talking about. Godzilla streams alone make it one of the biggest rap songs of the 2020’s.

Apr 24, 2024
  12. Chuny

Chuny +

Sep 30, 2022
    Having said all of the above, I still hold MTMB Side A & B as great albums and I don't really care what anybody says.
    I still play most of the songs in those projects regularly. I'd say I've been listening to Side A & B + Relapse a lot in the past few months.

Apr 24, 2024
  13. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Sep 29, 2022
    His legacy is cemented. You know once he's gone he'll get all of the flowers. Em could put out a dozen more Revivals and this wouldn't change. His work since has been a solid improvement though. Might not get another classic out of him but I'll gladly take some more MTBMB level projects.

Apr 24, 2024
  14. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Sep 29, 2022
    Not sure about restoring his legacy but at least he created a few good albums again imo

n9ne, Minato, jankland and 3 others like this.
    n9ne, Minato, jankland and 3 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  15. hargydon

Oct 4, 2022
    Fax homie

DKC, Ids5621, Evad and 2 others like this.
    DKC, Ids5621, Evad and 2 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  16. Wreckless

Oct 4, 2022
    No but Dr. Dre's confidence is. So even he can't be trusted to be a mentor these days.

Lol true. When your business manager is the one helping you make creative decisions it's not a good look. Especially if it's a fat c---- like Paul.

Apr 24, 2024
  17. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Oct 1, 2022
    If you don't die in your prime, most artists will have a decline in their catalogue. Legends too. DMX gets his (deserved) flowers and his later career was mostly horrible.

Apr 24, 2024
  18. Chuny

Chuny +

Sep 30, 2022
    Hard to see that happening considering his own recent claims about how he prefers to be regarded and remembered as the best rapper instead of an artists who made the best albums. Which should go hand in hand by the way.

I think if we were all to pick Em's Best 15 Songs, we'd agree in most of them (regardless of the order) we'd realize those songs were all musically pleasing while maintaining at the same time great rapping and lyricism as well as some high technical dexterity, passion, and intensity without ever straying too far from having a good melody which is, ultimately (in my opinion) what makes for great/good music.

Apr 24, 2024
  19. Chuny

Chuny +

Sep 30, 2022
    I agree.

Although regarding MJ, the media actually severely critiqued Bad, Dangerous and Invincible back then (there are some very good videos about all that in here https://www.youtube.com/c/thedetailchannel/videos in the Year In Review when those albums were released).

But, much like Em said on Careful What You Wish For, "then three years later they go back and regrade it".

Which is what happens. Everybody (journalists, fans, average listener) all tend to judge new projects based on either the artist's previous work, best work or personal expectations. That's why after a while when the dust settles, opinions change and what might have been trashed or considered a classic, changes too.

Apr 24, 2024
  20. Marsh

Marsh May 15th

Sep 29, 2022
    No, but these albums have been good, people calling them trash just exagerate because it's Em.

Em's second peak was Relapse/Recovery

Apr 24, 2024