sharing food with flatmates

Started by Rodamon, Feb 9, 2016, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Rodamon

Feb 9, 2016
    hi folks
    so i just recentley moved in a little town in croatia, for a year in a european volunteering programme. It is a great exchange programme where they pay u the travel costs, the flat and give u some pocket money to live there. In exchange u work for the organization that hosts u but it's not too harsh.

so they put me to live with two other volunteers, girls, which i met the same day we started to live together. at the beginning i wanted to ask if we were about to share the food, or at least the basic stuff: oil, salt, pasta, condiments... or even champoo.

so them both from the beginning told me they wanted to buy their own stuff because they are lazy to cook and whatever reason.. so we even have now three different olive oil bottles, which i think it is a little... ridiculous/sad.

now dont get me wrong, i think they are both cool and we can get along well together and while i also think its cool, to have my own stuff (also because we have different schedules to eat) i also think it is kind of wack to separate to that extreme our things.

even if we dont share, i always tell them they can borrow my stuff with no problem and they say the same (more or less)
    but most of the times i offer them something, they refuse. maybe it is because they come from different cultures (polish and latvian, i am catalan). who knows

so what's your opinion? u prefer to share or not with ur flatmates?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    0 0
    Apr 17, 2024
  2. Eazy

Eazy gotta have that crunch

Feb 9, 2016
    the problem with sharing is it will always turn into one person buying and making more than the others, it fails for the same reason that group projects in school or communism fail

its silly to have three bottles of olives, but its worse to come home and find food you planned to eat is already missing

Ordinary Joel, tomroe93 and Amarett like this.
    Ordinary Joel, tomroe93 and Amarett like this.
    Apr 17, 2024
  3. Rodamon

Feb 9, 2016
    some years ago i shared a flat while also sharing food and it didnt happen like that, we bought things together and cooked together mostly. I mean, sharing makes u feel more comfortable, like it is your own home. not daring to touch the other's things for fear they might get upset just doesn't feel totally right

0 0
    Apr 17, 2024
  4. tomroe93

Feb 9, 2016
    Nothing worse than going to spend a weekend in your hometown and coming back to your apartment finding that the majority of your food has been eaten over the weekend

0 0
    Apr 17, 2024