Kanye West Kanye received a check from Samsung to keep TLOP on Tidal?

Started by IveJo, Feb 26, 2016, in Kanye West Add to Reading List

1. IveJo

Feb 26, 2016
    Samsung has restarted talks with Jay Z to take Tidal off his hands, several sources told the New York Post’s Claire Atkinson. The South Korea-based electronics company, which teamed with Jay Z in the smooth high-profile launch of 2013’s Magna Carta…Holy Grail and with Roc Nation’s Rihanna in the rocky launch of ANTI last month, has held on-and-off talks with Tidal.

There’s also there’s some chatter that Samsung may have written a check to Kanye West for its involvement in the eagerly anticipated The Life of Pablo, according to HITS industry insider I.B. Bad.

“Samsung is re-engaging,” said a source close to talks. “They are working on something really big, and they’re keeping it very quiet in case it leaks.”

Google and Spotify have also been eyeing Tidal in the belief that the premium service, though struggling, can bolster their own digital music services, Atkinson’s sources said. Spotify has discussed creating an initiative that could produce a Tidal “powered by Spotify” partnership rather than an acquisition.

“The pressure is definitely on,” said one source, adding that Tidal is having trouble paying some of its royalty bills on time. Jay Z has reached into his own pocket to help boost the company, another source noted, echoing a reveal from I.B. Bad, who’d reported last April that Tidal was being romanced by prospective investors Sprint andSoftBank, dalliances that came to nothing.

“Tidal certainly needs a new home to stay alive,” said a so-called “music industry insider.”

Around the time of the launch, Tidal principals believed it was worth as much as $250m. It’s presently believed to be valued at about $100m.

Samsung and Tidal declined to comment on the Post story.

HDD (they're usually pretty reliable)

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Immy

Immy yikes

Feb 26, 2016
    This is a W tbh

Maximus likes this.
    Maximus likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Missile

Feb 26, 2016
    Probably not. Kanye probably just did this to make an artistic statement.

We all know that artists make 99% of money on their tours and enterprises - not their albums.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Maximus

Maximus Skeppy

Feb 26, 2016

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. IveJo

Feb 26, 2016
    But if Samsung is really looking to buy Tidal they'd sure want a bigger subscriber base and it worked with TLOP, since it apparently brought 1.5m extra subscribers (whether they're staying after their 30 day trial or not is another story). It also makes sense cause even though they bought 1 million ANTI copies that they could easily bundle with their Galaxy phones, they chose to gave them away on Tidal for free.

Missile likes this.
    Missile likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. larn

larn I heard you're good with them soft lips

Feb 26, 2016
    d--- another L for meek

asvdawg likes this.
    asvdawg likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. boyz n the suburbs

boyz n the suburbs In my city, I'm a young God

Feb 26, 2016
    ^Please teach me to be as hilarious as you are.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024