Best Posts: The "How Many Rings?" Argument in Sport

1. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Jan 12, 2020
    This personally is one of my biggest pet-peeves with sporting arguments and debating how GOAT a player was/is. Where do you stand on it and its worth in comparing two individual players?

Winning a championship is obviously the ultimate goal in all sports but there's too many variables in it for me to use it as a solid measuring stick. I mean hypothetically the greatest player ever could get drafted to the shittest team that's full of cabdrivers and stay there out of loyalty and never achieve a championship.

I also so often see people bring up LeBron's 3-8 or 3-9 (whatever it is) record as a way to s--- on him for example. Would it be more impressive if he only made it the three times he won and didn't make it at all the other times he lost?

I don't think a championship is irrelevant to the conversation but I don't understand why it's such a weighted part of the argument. I personally think it's stupid.

Apr 19, 2024
  2. Marshall III

Jan 14, 2020
    Tom Brady is the goat. End of discussion.

Apr 19, 2024
  3. JEB

JEB

Jan 13, 2020
    This is a good thread. Obviously the goal for every team every year is to win it all. Is it all about one player? No, but at the same time it kinda is. Imagine MJ w/out Pippen/Rodman. Imagine LBJ w/out Bosh/Wade. Imagine Brady w/out Gronk/Edelman.

Apr 19, 2024
  4. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Jan 15, 2020
    Brady would still have 3 rings lol

Ordinary Joel, JEB and Fitzy like this.
    Ordinary Joel, JEB and Fitzy like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Kon

Kon

Jan 15, 2020
    This is ridiculous. When we talk about the all time greats in any sport, we talk about people who have won multiple championships. In most cases if they didn’t, they wouldn’t be seen as an all time great, or at the very least not to the same level.

If Bron never won a ring, a majority of fans wouldn’t have him in the same discussion as MJ even if his stats were the same as they are or even better.

Yea I know there’s all time greats like Karl Malone and Dan Marino that are still seen as legendary with no championships. But your legacy is taken to another level with one and you’ll never be in any GOAT convo without winning. Also how you perform on the biggest stage is far more important than how you play in the reg season or stats or any s--- like that.

For people to act like individual performance and team accomplishments are completely separate even when comparing HOF players is insane to me. Winning a ship is the number 1 achievement in sports and yes obviously it’s done as a ‘team’ but the best player or players on that team are what puts you in that position to get there and win it..

When comparing all time greats especially in basketball, imo the category that holds the most weight is championships.

Ordinary Joel, Section80 and Boos like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Section80 and Boos like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Jan 13, 2020
    I just used LeBron as an example because I'm on a forum filled with Americans and it's the only sport I follow properly apart from Australian football which would be pointless to use examples for. But yeah, I personally can't stand the argument in general I think it's so stupid using team accomplishments as such a weighted argument when comparing individuals.

JMilliAMC16, Ordinary Joel and CSA like this.
    JMilliAMC16, Ordinary Joel and CSA like this.
    Apr 19, 2024