The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Final, Jan 23, 2017, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. The Lyricvore

The Lyricvore shangri la frontier

Jan 30, 2017
    This and exenoblade 2...

Goodbye friends, goodbye family, goodbye life.

Meero, Dread or Alive, gavin and 2 others like this.
    Meero, Dread or Alive, gavin and 2 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Lucy

Lucy #1

Jan 30, 2017
    dunno wtf they were thinking with their textures though, visual aesthetics/design for every modern FF better than xenoblade.

gavin likes this.
    gavin likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. threee

threee Rip

Jan 31, 2017
    Nah man they literally sold dozens of wii u consoles. DOZENS

Tbh I'm a big Nintendo fan I just haven't been into gaming in general the past 5 years other than the odd indie game here and there

gavin, Lucy and Ordinary Joel like this.
    gavin, Lucy and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  4. Dread or Alive

Dread or Alive Kamikaze should've been released 3 years ago

Jan 31, 2017
    They had to. Draw distance would be greatly reduced with the limited ram, and they had to take the disk bandwidth into consideration (loading times).

gavin and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. Lucy

Lucy #1

Jan 31, 2017
    they had to what? lower the res of textures?
    nah, my point is, they have like almost hyper-realist environment textures, almost anime-like stylized and proportioned characters, then sci-fi structures that look like average game graphics. it's like 3 different styles thrown together and to me it's incredibly jarring and a bad design choice imo. that's like my biggest problem with xenoblade

Apr 25, 2024
  6. Dread or Alive

Jan 31, 2017
    Fun fact: The largest handcrafted open world game has been made by Nintendo (i think)

Might be wrong on this though.

Apr 25, 2024
  7. Final

Final

Feb 24, 2017
    :emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

[​IMG]

:emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

Apr 25, 2024
  8. AK47Slim

Feb 25, 2017
    I still have to play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess before playing this. f--- there's just so many games I have to play and so little time.

gavin likes this.
    gavin likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. Lucy

Lucy #1

Feb 27, 2017
    you are wrong.
    daggerfall MS-DOS 1996
    Why would nintendo (the lowest hardware) have the largest open world?

gavin likes this.
    gavin likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  10. Dread or Alive

Feb 28, 2017
    i said "handcrafted". Daggerfall is almost entirely terrain generated.

What the f--- does that have to do with anything? The original Xenoblade was on the Wii and it's approximately the same size as Skyrim.

But f--- that, Xenoblade X (game i was referring to above) is bigger than Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and Fallout 4 COMBINED, and it's a nintendo made game for the wii u.
    Daggerfall came out in 1996, and minecraft dwarfs even daggerfall in sheer size, and that can be played on a f---ing tablet.

gavin likes this.
    gavin likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  11. Lucy

Lucy #1

Feb 28, 2017
    my mistake, daggerfall has some proc generated areas.

i mean, the chances of nintendo having the largest world, with the lowest specs is highly unlikely. also nice water bro.
    [​IMG]

Just Cause 3
    The setting for Just Cause 3, the fictional island of Medici in the Mediterranean Sea, is over 400 square miles

Xenoblade X
    154 square mi, including water.

gavin likes this.
    gavin likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  12. Dread or Alive

Feb 28, 2017
    JC2 might be bigger too. The size is one of the reasons why i stopped playing it. Travel f---ing hundreds of miles to x, blow up y using z, and jump off roof or out of plane before explosion. And that f---ing limo mission. it's fun, but f--- the travelling.

But i did say i could have been wrong.
    Oh f--- off, JC3 has water too
    [​IMG]

Anyways, you can't say they can't make large open world games, Zelda has a slightly smaller map area the XCX with ALOT less water, so it should have a r-----ed landmass size too.

And spec's don't really have anything to do with how big people make their maps. In fact lower specs means less detailed textures, which in turn mean.

A. Maps can be made faster and quicker, i.e larger maps are more feasible for development.
    B. Game size will generally be smaller by scale, so less disk space will be used by the game, larger maps can be stuffed into the size limits. Daggerfall is about 500Mbs

gavin likes this.
    gavin likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  13. Lucy

Lucy #1

Mar 1, 2017
    i didnt

not really. lower specs don't inherently mean "less detailed textures". it all depends on the games development direction. but lower specs generally tend to have lower resolutions textures, lower polygon count, less detail from light engines and reflections etc etc.

Companies that make for example ps4/xbone games generally tend to have more limitations than say a PC would, making the same game. They also aim for their selling point being "gud graffix. look nice to people. must be like reals" so majority push for visuals and fairly simple but fun controls. because they push for visuals they have higher polygon counts, higher resolution textures, semi-realistic lighting and shader engines, "realistic hair engines" (thanks SquareEnix lol) bloom, anti-aliasing, motion blur etc.

with Nintendo, their hardware specs are lower so they use things listed above sparsely. Which is fine, it doesn't mean their graphics are s---, it just means they go for a different visual design direction. BotW is a prime example it's nowhere near realistic looking, but its map size is larger than just about every other "open world meme" from this generation. But you'll notice it lacks things the other consoles have, like a limited amount of enemies/npc's on screen, a fair amount of big mostly empty spaces, lower polygon count, cell shading instead of a "realistic" light engine. so your kind of right, due to their art direction they can push for larger map sizes but if you made just a general open world game across all platforms and they all had to be the same, but if you had extra hardware you could increase map size, then PC will be larger, then ps4/xbone, then nintendo. like breath of the wild is 13.4 GB. compare that to witcher 3's 49 GB. yet botw is meant to be aorund 5x the size of witcher 3.

Dread or Alive and gavin like this.
    Dread or Alive and gavin like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  14. Dread or Alive

Mar 1, 2017
    Isn't this most open world games?

Well, they did put in a few detailed effects in the environment to make it feel more organic. I mean, it won't be f---ing zero dawn, but it isn't s--- dry like skyrim .

It's slightly smaller than XCX with alot less water.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  15. Yoda777

Mar 1, 2017
    Prolly gonna nut when I play this

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  16. Lucy

Lucy #1

Mar 1, 2017
    yeah that's true, i'll give you that. but too be fair alot of the blame can be shifted towards multi-platforming. Nearly every 'average' or 'bad' open world game I've played has been a multi-platform game. one big example that comes to mind is MGSV, they were rushed and had to downgrade some things such as enemies on screen, due it being released on ps3/x360 as well.
    yeah i think the design choices for BotW were pretty good from what i've seen/heard. but at the same time it does feel somewhat empty running between dungeons for example. It seems most of the fun parts are related to dungeon crawling while the open world aspect is pretty meh. Though i've heard some areas "feel alive" at times even though they are empty. for exxmaple strong winds that f--- you around and if it rains you can go up certain hills/climb properly.
    lol when you said that before i was thinking "i said that in my first post what the f---?" but then realised i didnt. oops.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  17. Dread or Alive

Mar 1, 2017
    I think you're getting that feel because the footage shown has mostly been of that particular area. Which is mostly open grassland, so it gives an empty feel. There are other areas with a more varied landscape wildlife (and enemies) quite a few villages (with loads of NPC's) and enemies that most reviewers recommend avoiding.

Every Zelda game ever.

But more importantly , the general consensus is that the game is DIFFICULT, and the combat is fun. Zelda has usually had decent combat, but most zelda games are pretty easy. So everything fun about zelda plus a more hardcore approach in terms of difficulty.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  18. Meero

Meero Ay ay ay

Mar 2, 2017
    Metacritic score is 98:sweatt:

Ordinary Joel and Dread or Alive like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  19. Clive

Clive Mind Over Matter And Soul Before Flesh

Mar 2, 2017
    Pretty much set on getting the Wii U version tomorrow. There was no preorders but I'm going to use my points to reduce it down to like 6 bucks lol. I'll pick up the switch later down the road.

Surreal this game actually comes out tomorrow. First view of the Switch I was sold to buy it day one, but going to pick it up when a price drop occurs or next year when Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 deluxe are out.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  20. ThatMalteseGuy

Mar 2, 2017
    Just preordered it on amazon digitally! Only a few more hours!

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024