Best Posts: Traveling in Central America

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Oct 2, 2018
    So to make a long story short...I recently got out of a five year relationship and I'm looking to embark on a quarter life crisis journey out of the country since I've never traveled outside of the US as an adult.

I'm thinking about going to Mexico City, then heading down through southern Mexico to Guatemala and Belize. I'm open to suggestions for places/countries to go though. Also any advice for best practices in terms of being thrifty/staying safe/not committing any cultural faux pas/anything I should know in general/other suggestions.

I took Spanish for five years and I remember a lot of the basics but I'm def gonna brush up on it and I'm sure some of it will come back to me pretty fast.

I'm also debating whether or not to take my old laptop so I can do some freelance work on the go and not have to worry about money so much...but taking a laptop also seems like a hassle and I wouldn't wanna get it stolen (which is why I'd take my old laptop).

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2024
  2. DKC

DKC hank trill

Dec 16, 2018
    Mexico City is amazing! I can’t believe how f---ing cheap everything is. Tacos pretty much always cost 15-20 pesos (around $1 usd), a triple shot Americano is the equivalent of like $2-$2.50, beers at a restaurant are like $2 as well. The most expensive museum I’ve been to was 70 pesos I think which is $3–$4. Everything is legit half or a third or even a quarter of the price is it in Seattle, why tf do I live there Jesus Christ.

I know in the past the city’s had a bad rap for being dangerous but Ive never felt unsafe here (though like with any city I’m sure there are seedier parts I won’t see of course). Honestly it’s not that different than being in New York or Philly or something save the language barrier. But as long as you do your best to speak what Spanish you know people are super nice. Idk if I’ve ever been to a city with nicer people.

Only downside so far is getting used to the elevation and smog so I get winded easier. Also trying to do anything on a Sunday is crazy, most touristy things are free to citizens on sundays (I didn’t even try) and all the people trying to sell you s---/playing instruments/etc are out in full force.

Got another week here before I fly to tulum to meet some friends, def wanna see the pyramids and a couple other touristy things but honestly it’s most fun just picking a neighborhood and walking around and eating and drinking and stumbling upon s--- yourself. And it’s super nice to just have a chance to sit and read or write with not many other distractions whenever I want.

Apr 20, 2024
  3. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Nov 14, 2018
    BC gonna get caught in the migrant caravan and not allowed back in the country. Gonna have to send @El Puto to negotiate his release

Apr 20, 2024
  4. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Oct 2, 2018
    If u see a nice truck wit a skull decal u dead af :')
    Sorry bout ur relationship tho

Apr 20, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 9, 2019
    Hanging in Playa del Carmen rn. In the touristy part on 5th ave you might as well be in f---in Times Square with all the chain restaurants and people dressed as Spider-Man and other dudes offering you fire weed and “””molly””” but I’ve found some good restaurants on that strip away from the main area. And of course you’ll find much better tacos even just a little outside that spot.

I walked into a pharmacy to buy bandaids and mans pulled out a literal box full of sealed blister packs/boxes of xanax, Valium, whatever the Mexican version of adderall is and some other s---. He was tryina sell me single Vicodin out of an open bottle and I said h--- nah to that s---, that’s a recipe to get some fent pressed cartel pills.

I keep extending my stay in this area cuz the weathers so f---in nice buuuut I know I gotta bounce soon if ima be able to do everything I wanna do lol.

Apr 20, 2024
  6. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Oct 7, 2018
    Big c---- gonna get his organs harvested

Apr 20, 2024
  7. Lucy

Lucy #1

Oct 2, 2018
    all i'm reading is "i'm about to make a huge mistake guys lol"

if you plan on leaving America come here ya c----. then you can teach me spanish so i can get a connect for brix

Apr 20, 2024
  8. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 1, 2019
    As I mentioned in the New Year’s thread I’m on the island of Cozumel right now off the coast of the Yucatán. Easily my favorite place I’ve been so far, I was originally only gonna be here for four days but I think ima extend it to a week.

I’m staying at an airbnb in a residential neighborhood which I much prefer over the touristy areas...I honestly didn’t really like tulum all that much for that reason. Don’t get me wrong I had a lotta fun there because I was with some good friends, but I felt like everywhere was clogged with tourists and everything was way more expensive than CDMX and Cozumel. It’s just not my steez i guess.

Anyway my airbnb host lives downstairs and he’s super nice, brought me a candle and homemade tamales from his neighbor when the power went out and it was pouring down rain. Also invited me to his brother’s NYE party so I got to ring in the new year with the locals which was fun. I rented a car and have had a lotta fun just cruising around the island going swimming n seeing Mayan ruins and crocodiles and s---. Oh and I’ve had some killer shrimp tacos.

After this ima head toward chichen itza and I don’t really have a plan beyond that. Probably gonna be bussing and staying in hostels mostly til I find my way back to CDMX!

Apr 20, 2024
  9. DKC

DKC hank trill

Dec 1, 2018
    Heading out in 10 days, I got most of everything I need like a travel backpack and lock for hostels and s--- like that but hit me with any last minute recs and tips if you got any. Also of anywhere to go between Mexico City and the Yucatan of course.

Some of my friends are gonna be in Tulum around the 23rd so I think I'm gonna stay in Mexico City til then then fly over and meet them there and then mosey my way back to MC by bus n then fly home from there.

Apr 20, 2024
  10. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 18, 2018
    Just booked an airbnb for my first week there. $215 for a week in the Condesa neighborhood which is sposed to have a cool nightlife/be close to some cool s---. Private studio in a complex with some other units so might be able to meet some cool peeps too. Will probably move onto a hostel or something cheaper after that even though $215 is a f---ing steal compared to staying anywhere in the US. You'd pay about that much to stay in a motel for three days in bumfuck wyoming.

Skippy, Fire Squad, Kevin and 3 others like this.
    Skippy, Fire Squad, Kevin and 3 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  11. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Oct 4, 2018
    Sorry about your relationship man. I’ve never been anywhere in Central America, but my dad always speaks highly of his trips to Costa Rica.

Skippy, Ordinary Joel, Buddha and 3 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  12. Sav Stanfield

Oct 3, 2018
    I was in Mexico City for about 10 days and still didn't see everything I wanted to, theres a lot to do there.

spent another 3 weeks going from Puebla to Oaxaca then Palenque on the border with Guatamala then made my way up to Merdia in the north, all amazing places. Would also highly recommend the area around Tulum and Playa del Carmen. Stay away from Cancun though, unless wasting money is your thing.

Have heard good things about the western coast too but never been.

Apr 20, 2024
  13. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jun 15, 2019
    Hola Grande Pais. Me llamo El Gusano, y me gusta tacos
    [​IMG]

Apr 20, 2024
  14. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jun 10, 2019
    Big Cuntry's Big Country Review Thread ™

Apr 20, 2024
  15. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jan 10, 2019
    How are the taco bells there?

Buddha, Ordinary Joel, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Buddha, Ordinary Joel, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  16. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 9, 2019
    Oh and lmk if you want my insta, i have some of y’all on there but i been posting pics there

Apr 20, 2024
  17. DKC

DKC hank trill

Dec 2, 2018
    Thanks man I shall! So crazy that it's already coming up in nine days.

Apr 20, 2024
  18. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Nov 15, 2018
    We both gonna be in cages by 2019

Skippy, Ordinary Joel, Worm and 2 others like this.
    Skippy, Ordinary Joel, Worm and 2 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  19. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 14, 2018
    One-way ticket purchased for Mexico City in december. Planning on staying a 4-6 weeks or so but we'll see what happens!

Skippy, Ordinary Joel, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  20. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Oct 7, 2018
    Post pics itt or in member pictures when you go!

Skippy, Ordinary Joel, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024