Traveling in Central America

Started by DKC, Oct 2, 2018, in Life Add to Reading List

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Dec 16, 2018
    Mexico City is amazing! I can’t believe how f---ing cheap everything is. Tacos pretty much always cost 15-20 pesos (around $1 usd), a triple shot Americano is the equivalent of like $2-$2.50, beers at a restaurant are like $2 as well. The most expensive museum I’ve been to was 70 pesos I think which is $3–$4. Everything is legit half or a third or even a quarter of the price is it in Seattle, why tf do I live there Jesus Christ.

I know in the past the city’s had a bad rap for being dangerous but Ive never felt unsafe here (though like with any city I’m sure there are seedier parts I won’t see of course). Honestly it’s not that different than being in New York or Philly or something save the language barrier. But as long as you do your best to speak what Spanish you know people are super nice. Idk if I’ve ever been to a city with nicer people.

Only downside so far is getting used to the elevation and smog so I get winded easier. Also trying to do anything on a Sunday is crazy, most touristy things are free to citizens on sundays (I didn’t even try) and all the people trying to sell you s---/playing instruments/etc are out in full force.

Got another week here before I fly to tulum to meet some friends, def wanna see the pyramids and a couple other touristy things but honestly it’s most fun just picking a neighborhood and walking around and eating and drinking and stumbling upon s--- yourself. And it’s super nice to just have a chance to sit and read or write with not many other distractions whenever I want.

Apr 19, 2024
  2. Red Rum

Dec 17, 2018
    How much for some Mexican p----?

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Dec 19, 2018
    my buddy travels a ton and just got back from tulum a couple weeks ago... says it's easily one of his favorite places he's ever been. enjoyyy

Buddha, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 1, 2019
    As I mentioned in the New Year’s thread I’m on the island of Cozumel right now off the coast of the Yucatán. Easily my favorite place I’ve been so far, I was originally only gonna be here for four days but I think ima extend it to a week.

I’m staying at an airbnb in a residential neighborhood which I much prefer over the touristy areas...I honestly didn’t really like tulum all that much for that reason. Don’t get me wrong I had a lotta fun there because I was with some good friends, but I felt like everywhere was clogged with tourists and everything was way more expensive than CDMX and Cozumel. It’s just not my steez i guess.

Anyway my airbnb host lives downstairs and he’s super nice, brought me a candle and homemade tamales from his neighbor when the power went out and it was pouring down rain. Also invited me to his brother’s NYE party so I got to ring in the new year with the locals which was fun. I rented a car and have had a lotta fun just cruising around the island going swimming n seeing Mayan ruins and crocodiles and s---. Oh and I’ve had some killer shrimp tacos.

After this ima head toward chichen itza and I don’t really have a plan beyond that. Probably gonna be bussing and staying in hostels mostly til I find my way back to CDMX!

Apr 19, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 9, 2019
    Hanging in Playa del Carmen rn. In the touristy part on 5th ave you might as well be in f---in Times Square with all the chain restaurants and people dressed as Spider-Man and other dudes offering you fire weed and “””molly””” but I’ve found some good restaurants on that strip away from the main area. And of course you’ll find much better tacos even just a little outside that spot.

I walked into a pharmacy to buy bandaids and mans pulled out a literal box full of sealed blister packs/boxes of xanax, Valium, whatever the Mexican version of adderall is and some other s---. He was tryina sell me single Vicodin out of an open bottle and I said h--- nah to that s---, that’s a recipe to get some fent pressed cartel pills.

I keep extending my stay in this area cuz the weathers so f---in nice buuuut I know I gotta bounce soon if ima be able to do everything I wanna do lol.

Apr 19, 2024
  6. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 9, 2019
    Oh and lmk if you want my insta, i have some of y’all on there but i been posting pics there

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

Jan 9, 2019
    lmao this is PDC exactly. Cozumel sounds crazy, wish i had seen it when i was there. Hit me with with IG man

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 9, 2019
    I'm so jealous rn d---

Apr 19, 2024
  9. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 9, 2019
    Also: weirdly enough I had some really f---in good Thai food yesterday, on par with some of my favorites in Seattle (never been to Thailand so I can’t compare with the authentic s--- but Seattle generally has good Asian food because we have a large Asian population). Hola Bangkok it was called. Also had a bomb drink there but idk what was in it besides mezcal, pineapple, and a spicy salted rim.

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 10, 2019
    @Sav Stanfield so would you recommend staying in Merida and Palenque? I’m making a vague plan to make my way back to CDMX. Did you check out any other coastal cities like Campeche or Cuidad del Carmen? Any recommendations in Oaxaca/Chipas/Tobasco?

Really all I have planned so far is heading to Valladolid to see Chichén Itzá lol. Found a nice looking hostel there that has a good rep for being social so I’m hyped for that.

Apr 19, 2024
  11. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jan 10, 2019
    How are the taco bells there?

Buddha, Ordinary Joel, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Buddha, Ordinary Joel, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. joeyp363

Jan 11, 2019
    Go to Columbia. f--- women. Do blow. Not kidding.

Red Rum and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Red Rum and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. Sav Stanfield

Jan 11, 2019
    Merida is nice, lowkey. was pretty quiet when I was there but good if you just wanna relax. Ruins at Uxmal are awesome. Palenque was great, I wasn't there too long but the ruins there are unbelievable. Great hiking too. I think most people stop off at Palenque on their was to Guatamala, etc. Are you still planning on going further south?

Oaxaca might have been one of my favorite places in Mexico. I did a Mezcal-making tour, which was awesome, at the end you get to sample all the different mezcal flavors. I think the place was called San Jeronimo, I could be wrong. The markets, churches and ruins in the area are all great. Also you gotta try the Chapulines (grasshoppers) there dont p---- out lol. and the Oaxca chocolate is really good. I was in Chiapas but my memorys hazy about what i did there. Didn't go to Campeche but heard good things.

lol i remember that. I think its called a Mezcalita? that s--- is fire.

also Chichen Itza is definitely worth seeing. We also did a tour that included those caves were you can dive into the water, i dont remember what they were called. definitley worth checking out.

Apr 19, 2024
  14. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 2, 2019
    back in seattle since late last night, will post a recap sometime soon :MJDK:

Apr 19, 2024
  15. reservoirGod

reservoirGod reckless adventurer.

Feb 2, 2019
    Dm me your insta.

Apr 19, 2024
  16. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 2, 2019
    btw @ChadCunt my buds are moving to new zealand in a month so I'll probably be visiting them in the next 18 months or so which I'ma make into a trip to AUS as well, see you there @Ordinary Joel @Jakey @SHUDEYE and whoever tf else lives down undah

Ordinary Joel, SHUDEYE and Buddha like this.
    Ordinary Joel, SHUDEYE and Buddha like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Feb 2, 2019
    Big Cuntry rich AF

Apr 19, 2024
  18. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 2, 2019
    tbh a couple grand saved from ur 40k salary allows you to modestly ball in mexico for a p long time

Buddha, Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Feb 2, 2019
    ha nah I'm just jealous. Wish I could take off that long. Live it up while you can unless you find an awesome job that gives you that flexibility

Apr 19, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 2, 2019
    lol that's the plan. I'm between apartments right now so I'm staying at my mom's place to take care of her dog while she's out of town then I'll probably stay here for a couple weeks and bounce to NY/Austin/LA and stay with friends while I work and figure out where tf I'm moving next.

Though you work from home a lot right? Dude who was staying at my hostel in Mexico City told me he works remotely (he lives 50 miles outside the bay area and supposed to commute at least one day a week but his boss works from an office in madison wisconsin or some s--- so he just stopped coming in at all unless he has a reason to) and his boss and coworkers had no idea he was working from mexico city. He said every 3-6 mo or so he'll go down south to latin america for a week or so and doesn't tell anyone cuz it's easy to be "at work" during the right hours with with the maximum of a three hour time change lol.

Apr 19, 2024