Traveling thread - What countries have you been to and whats your favorite?

Started by Jimelej, Jan 25, 2015, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    Hi guys!
    Sooo i am studying tourism and in one class we got this assignment when we have to get info of other cultures and their favorite country/city and i've done some quick research on google and some traveling forum but would be fun to see the what random induviduals from random countries that aren't that famililar with traveling (or what do i know) thoughts are.
    And it may spark some interesting discussion. I know @escobar had this kind of thread on sl, you still here man?

anyways two questions What countries have you been to and what was your favorite?
    I'll start, I've mainly been in europe but I would love to visit south and north america.
    Sweden .. ofcourse (live here) but i've roadtrip through almost every city, think it is really beautiful in the summer f--- the winter though.
    Thailand f---ing love the atmosphere and the people, got treated like a god with my blonde hair and blue eyes when I was there as a kid lol.
    Spain
    Greece
    Turkey 4 times (typical for us scandivain people)
    England
    Wales
    Norway - f--- so expensive everything is.. made a roadtrip there in 3 days trying to get to the top of europe's northernmost point ''Nordkapp'' but it was closed ofcourse.. we tried to sneak in but got caught almost at the top [​IMG] @Myril have you been there? and also what the f--- is up with your toilets man? [​IMG] Is this really necessary? :'(
    Finland
    Denmark - christiania :blunt::emoji_heart::emoji_heart:
    France twice, Paris has some of the most interesting tourist attractions without a doubt - louvre museum, eiffel tower, Pantheon, Pere Lachaise Cemetery and so on
    Germany :emoji_beer::emoji_beer:
    Czech Prague fell in love with this city directly, probably my personal favorite. Going back to it in april and i cant f---ing wait!
    Estonia - went on a party cruise there and had a suite, probably one of the best things i've done and the city Tallinn was really beautiful. Do we got any people from tallinn here?
    Latvia
    Italy
    Croatia
    Slovenia
    Switzerland
    Monaco

Thats all i think. My favorite is Prague, it would be Paris if the people werent so f---ing rude, not the civils but the ones who worked at restaurants, museums, the hotel and the f---ing taxi drivers, its a beautiful city no question about it but whats up with the attitude?

Would be cool if you post pitcures too :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Slyk, Rodamon, DeletedAccount and 2 others like this.
    Slyk, Rodamon, DeletedAccount and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Jan 25, 2015
    just got back from doing a 6 week backpack in south america - Brazil, Argentina, Chille, Uruguay, Bolivia and Peru. Peru was one of the most interesting places I've ever been (Cusco and Machu Pichu especially), highly recommended. I've also done most of Europe (Amsterdam, Rome and Paris were the big highlights for me), India and some of the US (only NY and Florida) previously.

Even so, I live in South Africa and still believe it must be one of the best tourist destinations in the world, its dirt cheap for Americans and Europeans and just (if not more) beautiful than South America, amazing things to see and places to visit. A recommendation in SA would be to do round road trip from Johannesburg to Durban and then Cape Town - its extremely cheap and you'd get to see most of the country and shouldn't take longer than 2 or 3 weeks.

DeletedAccount and Jimelej like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker your boy

Jan 25, 2015
    @Jimelej which places have you visited in Greece? I'm greek and have seen most of the country. Athens has some highlights but it's kinda boring, I prefer islands, more friendly people and some of the beaches are very nice.

I've been in London, Edinburgh (beautiful city, love the architecture and the nightlife was decent, people were nice and the pubs where the place to be, especially when it had bands and events like that). I've been 3 times in Italy (visited Rome, Firenze, Venice and Milan. All beautiful, Rome was kinda overwhelming though. People were nice, most of them didn't speak english, not sure if they didn't know english or if they were just chauvinists lol, if you speak a few italian like grazie and buongiorno they get more helpful I guess). I've been in Switzerland (I visited CERN with the uni, we stayed in Geneva ofc). Kinda boring country, quiet and busy. Not much to do there I guess, but their chocolates rock, and CERN was boring, we didn't see much on the tour. People are kind but kinda offish. Next summer I'll visit Cambridge (a friend of mine got accepted in the uni there last sept.) and I'd like to visit Sweeden and France in the near future. A few friends of mine have been in Prague and I've have heard good things, def would like to go if given the chance.

Mar 29, 2024
  4. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    Backpack most be the most amazing adventures you can do especially in the countries you visited! You got to cross two of the 7 wonders of the world too thats f---ing incredible man! Question though about machu pichu, do they charge people now or is it okay to just climb up whenever you want and be there as long as you want?

The roadtrip sounds interesting always wanted to do a roadtrip in some other continent when i finish school, the pan american highways looks tempting but it takes like at least 10 weeks and they say you are guaranteed to get robbed wtf.. Will definitely consider your recommendation especially when you can get an amazing view from the table mountain

And amsterdam man :dead:

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    I was in Rhodes and that was a really tourist friendly place. People were really nice and helpful and ofcourse you got the sales man on the streets. Everyone I know get so annoyed by them, i just think its funny because you can start a conversation with a random man because all they want to do is talk with you (and ofcourse sell things) and they are very good at it, social people is always a plus for me whether if the mainpoint is to get my money or if they wanna become friends always fun to talk to people from different cultures. I've heard both bad and good things about Athens like its very dirty there, is it or was it like years ago?

Also going to Italy in the spring to visit a friend and i've heard exactly the same things, he says even his englishteacher sucks at english.. And I find it reaally strange when its one of the most visited countries on earth, but definitely going there. Dumb question maybe, but did you try any of there wines? I am a sucker for wine so im definitely going to a wine tasting, you have any experience?

You should go to Sweden we got some interesting attraction depending on what kind of person you are and what you like or if you want to try something different you should come here around this time to the north of sweden when we have our '' cold-market '' when we walk with our reindeers and try our food and much more and visit our ice hotel, that is an adventure for sure but you have to be aware that its gonna be like 25 minus celsius at least ^^ But i recommend you to go to Prague before you think about sweden and france

Peter Parker likes this.
    Peter Parker likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker your boy

Jan 25, 2015
    Well what you said about Athens is true, it's like the 2 sides of a coin. The areas with the more attractions (bars, clubs, restaurants and musems/Parthenon etc) are in the richer areas of the city, and it's clean and everyone's friendly. The other areas are kinda bad. Really dirty, and you can see the differences between the upper class and the lower class. Especially in a city like Athens, with so many people (over-poppulated in comparison to other greek cities) you can feel very uncomfortable. It's like nobody cares about a few neighbourhoods. I guess it's a cool place to visit and see a few things, but I wouldn't like to stay there for a long time.

Rhodes is a nice island, everything you said about the people applies to other islands as well, or smaller cities in the mainland, where everything seems less distant. People are nicer, and the tourists (mainly serbians) are really friendly too.

Me and the friends bought 2 bottles of wine from a liquor store, we enjoyed it. I can't really help more lol, but if you manage to understand the italian-english of the people there you may hear a few good suggestions. After 5' of his talking, we asked the guy "which wine is your favourite" and just took that. We weren't disappointed. Italian wine is good, but I prefer greek and some portuguese wine.

Jimelej likes this.
    Jimelej likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    Sad to here about Athens because i know you can see those difference between upper and lower class in a whole country but in just one city, I know its very big but still ..sad that it has become like that. I think its crazy when a government spend more money on tourist attractions than for the actual residents.. Heard some crazy s--- about costa rica, they wasting so much water on the golf parks for the tourists so its not enough for the people..

Anyways thanks for the info about the wine hahah glad you enjoyed it thou. Never tried greek wine but I am in line for a job in rhodes in the summer as a barker so definitely going to try some if im lucky enough to get the job :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Parker likes this.
    Peter Parker likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Young Sinatra

Young Sinatra I've moved, my new account is "Pato". Follow me!

Jan 25, 2015
    Hey, Argentinian over here. What part of Argentina did you visit? Impressions of the travel? What you thinked about the country overall?

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. Baja

Jan 25, 2015
    @Jimelej I'm going toTurkey (Istanbul) in May. What places do you recommend i visit excluding the obvious ones (Grand Baazar, Hagia Sofia, The Blue Mosque etc)?

Last year I visited Czech Republic (Prague, Cesky Krumlov). Prague was beautiful and probably favorite city I visited so far. The architecture is amazing, history also, the beer is cheap and awsome. Everything from the Catherdal down to Charles bridge and then to the Old Town Square, just :cp3:. We payed to go inside the Catherdal and those museums in Hradcany and it was worth every cent.
    I recommend walking (instead of using the cable lift or what its called) all the way up to Petrin to see the panorama of the whole city. Plus it has an lookout tower so you can have a better view of the city. I'll stop myself here. I could write an essay about it.
    Cesky Krumlov is a nice little town. Its nothing so special but worth spendig couple of hours to enjoy the view

Budapest twice. Architecture is beautiful. Worth visiting.
    Bratislava. I'm glad we spent only a day there. I dont know was it the time of the year (winter) but there was no one on the streets. It felt even colder, although it wasnt really that cold. Wouldnt go there again. Maybe during summer just to improve my opinion of the city.
    Barcelona. It was like 5, 6 years ago so the memory is kinda blurry. From i can remember it was nice, but im sure that if i could visit it now with this state of mind i would enjoy it even more.
    Nice. Just spent few hours while going from trip to spain, but i said to myself that is the city i want to live in. The sunset was beautiful, it wasnt so crowded. It just felt so good being there.
    Italy (Venice, Verona, Padova)
    That's it. I guess. Planing to travel more. Once you start traveling it becomes an addiction. :feedme:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Jimelej and Peter Parker like this.
    Jimelej and Peter Parker like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Sav Stanfield

Jan 25, 2015
    yeah it was f---in awesome, went with a group of 6 friends. In terms of wonders of the world, we saw Christ the Redeemer, Machu Pichu and Iguasu Falls (apparently was just added to 7 'new' wonders of the world'). They do charge for Machu Pichu but once you're in you can spend as long as you like there - there's a few cool hiking trails you can do or just wonder around the ruins, it was incredible. Its closed at night, but theres a little tourist town at the foot of the mountain you can stay in if you want to go back.

and definitley recommend the SA roadtrip, I've done it a few times, Cape Town is insane.

Loved Argentina, spent some time in Patagonia, saw the glaciers, then did BA (for new years) and the Argentinian side of Iguasu. Great country, just the currency situation is pretty f----- up, it was quite a mission carrying US dollars and exchanging them but otherwise awesome place. where do you live?

Jimelej likes this.
    Jimelej likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015

Well i've only been the typical boring swedish tourist when i've been to turkey. I've only been to Alanya (the Asian side of turkey) mainly for relaxing on the beach and in the sea, thou I think you have to have those trips too especially when you live in a cold country as me :jordan: But the class that is above me was there but I cant really remember any specific place just the ones you mentioned but one thing they said that I can recommend is to not hire a guide because they aren't that good in english and they aren't even good at guiding nor storytelling (talking very low and just looking on their information paper), its just a random person who hasnt even taken a course to get the job. They said its better to just ask the other tourist that are there because they gladly share the information that they know and they can give you their truly opinion of what you should see next instead of the turkish guides who just recommend the obvious ones that you mention because they are so proud of them.

Glad to see someone else enjoying Prague as much as me :daps:

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Young Sinatra

Jan 25, 2015
    Glad you got a good time in my country.

I live in Provincia de Santa Fe, Capital. Unfortunately is a pretty ugly place and there is some f----- up s--- going on here.

Yeah, the situation is s-----y. The inflation is really big and there is a lot of corruption in the country.

I am right now in Brasil for vacations, a really beautiful place. Pinheira, Gramado, Florianopolis, Porto Alegre >>>

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. Baja

Jan 25, 2015
    Thanks for the info

I still want to visit Prague during a snowy winter. Could be even better

Oh yeah. I live in Croatia. Summer is our time of the year, tourism-wise. Sea and beaches are great. Nightlife also, especially for those enjoying EDM (Ultra Europe and those kinds on festivals). History-wise there are some places with old architecture, but its spread all over the coast. Game of Thrones fans can visit Dubrovnik. Part with Kings Landing is filming there. Its expensive AF though atleast for our standards.
    Food all over the country is nice. Depends on what part do you visit.
    Inland has also some places to visit if sun and beach are not your cup of tea

Jimelej likes this.
    Jimelej likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    Are you staying in brasil to the carnival?

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Young Sinatra

Jan 25, 2015
    Nah, we can't go to Rio.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    Oh okay too bad but I did search for the places you mentioned and they look beautiful and harmonic :allears:

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. escobar

Jan 25, 2015
    Yeah i'm checking in every now and then - when I get a longer break from work i'll post up the places i've been and have a chat about them.

Jimelej likes this.
    Jimelej likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Flacko

Flacko Too Blessed To Be Humble

Jan 25, 2015
    Im from Uk

Been to:
    Italy
    Paris
    Barcelona
    Canada - Toronto & Vancouver
    Sydney
    India
    NYC & LA
    Will post some pics soon

Rodamon and DeletedAccount like this.
    Rodamon and DeletedAccount like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Jimelej

Jimelej Guest

Jan 25, 2015
    Would love to see pics from Sydney!

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. TimmyT

TimmyT The Bride

Apr 7, 2015
    I LOVE traveling--its one of my favorite hobbies. But I've never even been outside the USA yet. I'm still pretty young though- so hopefully I'll live a lot longer and I'm sure eventually I'll get to another country.

I'd go to any country, but if I could pick, I'd go to Colombia or Italy.

So far, the most fun I've had traveling is when I went to Las Vegas. I actually saw Gale Sayers the first night I was there and had a great overall trip.

Great thread, by the way

Mar 29, 2024