Uber and Lyft drivers' median hourly wage is just $3.37, many end up losing money

Started by Charlie Work, Mar 2, 2018, in Life Add to Reading List

1. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Mar 4, 2018
    U could even say they re uberbroke :khaled:

dester23 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    dester23 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Mar 4, 2018
    :VnceAwe:

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. Lucy

Lucy #1

Mar 4, 2018
    yeah I think our min wage is $21-$23, so about the same as you guys after currency conversion. Not to mention a lot of Uber drivers I've spoken to are also ex-cab drivers. So if they are opting to drive Uber over cabs, I can't imagine them being underpaid.
    So i'm honestly not sure why there is this discrepancy in pay (judging from what I've heard of Uber drivers here, who say they earn well)

I think the guy who owns Uber is in Dubai so maybe he just made it so Americans earn less for a laugh?

Also not trying to say you are wrong or anything, but I can live off $600 per month after rent pretty easy. I've lived off (way) less before.

Apr 20, 2024
  4. Xmipod

Mar 4, 2018
    Uber has always been a side job. And because theres not the money for it, the job is a job anyone can do, lots of reasons.

Look at what happened in seatle

Apr 20, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 4, 2018
    lol what's happening in seattle is because tens of thousands of people flocking here each year to work at Amazon and other tech companies. The $15 min wage was a response to that.

Not everyone does it as a side job, and why does it matter if it's a side job for some people anyway? Obviously people working full time are gonna earn more, but that shouldn't mean you shouldn't earn a living wage relative to how much you work if you work half time.

A lot of people would consider the military an option for low-skilled workers...does that mean you should get less than a living wage?

dester23, Enigma and Ordinary Joel like this.
    dester23, Enigma and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  6. Xmipod

Mar 4, 2018
    Lol Mcdonalds fired cashiers and put in machines man

And yeah I get that, as much as I would personally love to see everyone earn a living wage doing one job that requires no skill, it isnt a realistic goal and it isnt sustainable. Economics and many failed attempts have backed that up.

And the military may be a low skill job to some people. It isnt to me, as there is a lot of training and mental stress. Also very hazardous. And when youre in the military, you are defending your country. The military doesnt get paid enough. And out of all of the people that can join the military, not everyone can do it. Ive seen some people join the military not thinking theyd need to s---t a gun and they got so scared they left. Point is not everyone can serve

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  7. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 4, 2018
    It's definitely sustainable—it would just cut into the pockets of people who are making millions and they don't want that, lol. A 'living wage' literally just means 'enough to maintain a normal standard of living.' I'm not advocating for uber drivers to make six digits, just that they make enough to make rent without living paycheck to paycheck. You would still have lots of millionaires if everyone made a living wage.

I've never been in the military, so I'm not gonna speak on that—I'm sure it's much harder than being an uber driver and I'm sure they're underpaid as well. My point was that both an uber driver and someone in the military deserve to get paid, at the very least, a wage that allows them to comfortably eat, make rent, and have enough to go on the occasional vacation or buy something nice for themselves.

Apr 20, 2024
  8. Xmipod

Mar 4, 2018
    Yeah but why should the rich have money taken from them? Especially if theyve earned it? I love charity and all, but if the rich earned their money and they dont want to give it away, they shouldnt have to. Its their money, they earned it and should be allowed to do with it as they please.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  9. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 4, 2018
    I'm not saying we take money from people who already earned it, just that, for example, if we start paying a higher up person 2 million dollars a year instead of 4 million dollars a year it could give 1000 people at a company $2000 more per year (which could easily bump someone above the poverty line) and the higher up would still be a millionaire with more money than he'd know what to do with.

Obviously it's more complicated than that because capitalism is engrained in our society and there are lots of other factors. But it would totally be sustainable to cut wages of people who make millions and billions of dollars and have a lot fewer poor people while they still remain rich.

Enigma and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Enigma and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  10. Xmipod

Mar 4, 2018
    It would throw so many things off, and theoretically, if it would work, that would be great, but it would never happen.

What we need to do is play gods plan for greedy rich people so theyll donate money and invest in programs to help the poor

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  11. Alchemist34

Alchemist34 DO MY HEAD

Mar 6, 2018

You can’t go on about not wanting to raise wages and not wanting to take money from the rich while at the same time wanting to raise the military wage. Where would the raise come from? Why should normal people pay more tax for a military wage raise?

If the military was a private company then fair enough they can ask for all the money they want from the company. But when it’s government owned and wages come from the taxpayer, then they can sit their uneducated grunt a----s down and keep their mouth shut

A lot of Uber drivers especially Uber eats are uni students who are much more valuable to society than military grunts

DKC likes this.
    DKC likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  12. Xmipod

Mar 6, 2018
    Lol youre a complete idiot, do you know that?

f--- off

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  13. Alchemist34

Alchemist34 DO MY HEAD

Mar 6, 2018
    Hurr durr we protect you hurr

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024