Boxing/MMA UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs Thompson-June 18th

Started by redsoxx, Jun 8, 2016, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Jun 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

Main Card (FS1)-10:30 P.M. ET

Rory Macdonald (#1 WW) vs Stephen Thompson (#2 WW)
    Donald Cerrone (#4 LW) vs Patrick Cote-WW Bout
    Steve Bosse vs Sean O'Connell
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs Thibault Gouti
    Valerie Letorneau (#5 WSW) vs Joanne Calderwood (#12 WSW)-FLW Bout (first in UFC history)

Prelims (FS2)-8:30 ET

Jason Saggo vs Leandro Silva
    Misha Cirkunov vs Ion Cutelaba
    Tamdan McCrory vs Krzysztof Jotko
    Chris Beal vs Joe Soto

Prelims (Fight Pass)-6:30 ET

Elias Theodoru vs Sam Alvey
    Randa Markos (#14 WSW) vs Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger
    Jonathan Meunier vs Colby Covington
    Ali Bagautinov (#10 FLW) vs Geane Herrera

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Jun 9, 2016
    I don't recognize a lot of names on this card.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. redsoxx

Jun 9, 2016
    Geane Herrera's last fight vs Joby Sanchez. He might have the most power in the division. Ali B will probably smother him though.

Alex Garcia vs Ben Wall back on the original Hunt/Bigfoot 1 card. He was stopped by Sean Strickland in his last fight.

[​IMG]

Sam Alvey vs Cezar Ferreira. Recently stopped in the 1st by Brunson, questionable stoppage though imo.

[​IMG]

Chris Beal vs Patrick Williams, maybe the best flying knee in UFC history or up there with Irvin/Martin. Probably the reason he still has a job, recently dropped to FLW but is back at BW. And Soto replaced Barao last minute and fought Dillashaw but has lost 3 in a row. Probably a loser leaves town fight.

[​IMG]

Tamdan McCrory was with the UFC from 07-09 at a young age and then quit MMA for 5 years after he was cut. Bellator signed him back in 2014 and for whatever reason lost him to the UFC because they didnt want to give pay him lower-mid tier money. Anyways this was his first fight back with Bellator against Brennan Ward. He always had a great ground game but never really saw his striking, he just took out a tough Josh Samman in his first UFC fight back. Check out his fight against Dustin Hazelett from the Lesnar/Couture card, all time ground battle.

[​IMG]

Misha Cirkunov breaking Alex Nicholson's jaw with a neck crank. Hes one of the better "prospects" in the LHW division, one of the few. Don't know much about his opponent other then he has a lot of KO's.

Bosse and O'Connell are both k--- or be killed type of fighters. Bosse was a minor league hockey enforcer. Can't find Bosse's last KO over Te Huna, but the fight before he got his head kicked off by Thiago Santos. Fight is probably only on the main card because it won't get out of the 1st round.

OAM is a pretty boring fighter so im not really sure why hes on the main card. He did have that Inverted Triangle Kimura a couple years back though. His last couple fight have been awful though.

[​IMG]

Chabuddy G, Charlie Work and Poohdini like this.
    Chabuddy G, Charlie Work and Poohdini like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. Charlie Work

Jun 9, 2016
    You should do write ups like that more often. I never remember the guys who don't have narratives and/or aren't relevant to the title picture. Who you got for MacDonald-Thompson? @redsoxx

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Cerrone and redsoxx like this.
    Cerrone and redsoxx like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. redsoxx

Jun 9, 2016
    Yea i used to do more write ups and stuff back on RB and SL, like what's next for the winners and losers and just other info on the lesser known fighters on cards. But then i got busier and cards came more frequently. I might bring some of that back now that we have more ppl following the sport. I saw one of the guys on reddit put together a compilation of all the most recent finishes from the Main Card fighters on 199 and thought that was pretty cool, wish he would do it for the full card though.

As far as the Rory/Wonderboy fight I think Rory will pressure him from jumpstreet and not let Wonderboy get into his rhythm. I know Hendricks originally came out the aggressor, but once he didn't get the TD he basically just stood right in front of him and got teed off on. He let Wonderboy fight him at his range and you can't do that against the best striker in the division (by a lot). I think Rory will cut him off, get him against the cage and eventually get TD's and GNP TKO him late or win a decision. I know Hendricks is a better wrestler and he wasnt able to do it, but I think these last few weight cuts have killed him. After the initial bull rush, he seemed to not have much left. I know Wonderboy pieced him up and I don't want to take anything away from him I
    just think Hendricks looked like dog s--- in that fight.

I hope Wonderboy wins though because him vs Lawler would be awesome. But then again I dunno if that would mean Rory going to Bellator. Its too bad this fight is on a smaller platform because it deserves to be a FOX headliner or a PPV Co Main.

Cerrone likes this.
    Cerrone likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  6. redsoxx

Jun 18, 2016

Cerrone likes this.
    Cerrone likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  7. Cerrone

Cerrone Anyone, any time, any place

Jun 18, 2016

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  8. redsoxx

Jun 18, 2016
    8:30 ET on FS2 is when the prelims started

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  9. Charlie Work

Jun 18, 2016
    Beal-Soto was a great fight. Beal came out outboxing him in the first, Soto turned it into a brawl in the second and found ways to get it to the ground. Excellent adjustment.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. Cerrone

Cerrone Anyone, any time, any place

Jun 19, 2016
    Cowboy looking pretty good so far

Really glad I didn't miss it

Edit:

Disappointed by Rory's performance, guess we get Wonderboy vs the winner of Lawler / Woodley next.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    smitty likes this.
    smitty likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. Charlie Work

Jun 19, 2016
    If Stephen Thompson beats Hendricks, MacDonald, and Lawler he'll be the new P4P. Especially if he does Lawler in as clearly. Thompson is the same age Silva was when he came in and began his reign.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  12. fed

fed

Jun 19, 2016
    d--- Cowboy looked great!
    Bosse/O'Connell was nuts

Solid chess match between Wonderboy and Rory. I enjoyed the technical fight, I kinda bothers me that the crowds always boo fights like that.

Hopefully Robbie beats the undeserving T-Wood. I cannot wait to see Wonderboy fight for title.

I hope Rory re-signs with the UFC, but I would also like to see Rory vs Andrey Koreshkov for the Bellator WW Title

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  13. tomroe93

Jun 19, 2016
    I only saw rounds 2 and 3 of Cowboy/Côte and the whole Rory/Wonderboy fight. I heard Bosse vs O'Connell was pretty nuts though

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  14. redsoxx

Jun 19, 2016
    Cerrone is such a boss. That was the first time Cote was stopped by strikes, a guy who fought Tito Ortiz at LHW 12 years ago as well as prime Anderson Silva at MW. Hopefully someone steps up and takes a fight with him at UFC 200. Where you at Neil Magny.

Shows you how underrated RDA really is, Eddie Alvarez is gonna get dusted.

Yea hopefully Rory reups with the UFC. Would be a good time to do the Condit rematch.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  15. smitty

smitty i love stuff

Jun 20, 2016
    My recording of the main card cut off as soon as Rory and Wonder Boy touched gloves lol.
    Watched it today though.
    Really disappointed with Rory's performance. You could tell he was protecting his nose hardcore throughout. He would come in with his head down when he attempted to rush Wonder Boy and at times would even come in with both hands protecting his head/face, really didn't work out for him at all. I understand why, but really a poor game plan, IMO. Wonder Boy did a great job of mixing it up, as per usual. His usual stick and move style. He dominated in every aspect. I liked Rory's heel hook attempt off the bat, but the 2 after were forced.

As for the other fights,
    Cowboy looked incredible. Excited to see how he does in the WW division after that performance. I imagine he'll be fighting for the title very soon.
    Bosse/O'Connell was f---ing awesome. Bosse showed some real heart and a helluva chin coming back from the first round knockdown.

Also, Is anybody else pulling for Woodley against Lawler, or am I in the minority? lol

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  16. tomroe93

Jun 20, 2016
    I'm pulling for Woodley, because I feel like it might help finally get a UFC event in St. Louis lol

smitty likes this.
    smitty likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  17. smitty

smitty i love stuff

Jun 20, 2016
    His knockout power just makes him such an exciting fighter. I love him. Him, Jonny and Nate Diaz are my favorite fighters.
    I could see his bout with Lawler going a lot like his went against Rory. We'll see though. You never know with him. Those hands are bombs and he definitely has the edge on the ground.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024