Unapologetic Derrick Rose pleased with his game after multiple knee injuries

Started by Poohdini, Mar 23, 2016, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Mar 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    It doesn’t look like Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose has lost that much quickness. Did you see him blow by Toronto’s Kyle Lowry? Did you see his performance in the Bulls’ win vs. Utah on Saturday? He made 10-for-15 shots and had 22 points.

Rose is averaging 18.8 points, 4.6 assists and 3.7 rebounds and shooting 47% since Jan. 1 – he has even better stats since the All-Star break – and this incarnation of Rose is … well, let’s hear from Rose. What has his performance this season told him about his game?

“I don’t know if everyone knows, but I feel like I’m a d--- good player,” Rose said. “For someone who went through what I went through and come back and change their or modify their game to where I’m still productive on the court without using my speed all the time, it tells a lot if you know basketball.”

Is this the old Derrick Rose? Of course not. How could you expect him to be? The man has had significant knee injuries – torn left ACL and twice in different seasons sustained a torn meniscus in his right knee.

“He’s really gotten himself into a good rhythm,” Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg said. “Unfortunately, he’s had some nagging injuries that have had him in and out of the lineup. But the last month is how we need him to play as far as aggressively going to the basket, attacking the basket. He’s done a good job getting other guys involved, and he’s finished a lot of games for us.”

However you want to characterize Rose’s game, this is indisputable: this is Rose’s finest stretch of basketball since multiple knee injuries have limited his career in the past four seasons.

That Rose is even playing at this level is a testament to his strength, determination, commitment and work ethic.

But the Chicago native remains polarizing, and a for-him-or-against-him stance emerged with not much room for gray areas or nuance.

Some of the anti-Rose sentiment is his responsibility, making comments that bother fans such as talking about his free agency two seasons before it gets here or saying when he sits out a game it’s because he wants to be healthy post-career or prevent another knee injury.

Rose is also misunderstood, and his supporters understand that.

“Trust me, I’m grateful. I’m happy,” he said. “I’m just happy to be where I’m at and like I always say, my appreciation of the game just grows every day, every year. I’m just loving where I’m at.”

He is also unapologetic. “My game is my game,” he said.

In the offseason, he spent time working out with basketball trainer Rob McClanaghan, and on an off day last week in Washington, D.C., he practiced at Georgetown University with an assistant coach. He continues to develop his game, rediscovering rhythm and timing.

“One thing about Derrick, no one’s going to outwork him,” McClanaghan said. “He also learns how to take care of his body more and more every year.”

This season, Rose averages 16.7 points, 4.9 assists and 3.5 rebounds and since the All-Star break, he’s at 19.9 points, 5.2 assists, 3.5 rebounds and shooting 52.4% from the field and 50% on three-pointers.

“I’ve been doing a good job of hanging with what’s been working,” Rose said. “I haven’t looked sluggish or haven’t been in a shooting slump. It’s just finding ways during the game to manipulate the game for my team’s sake.

Quietly, he reached a milestone two weeks ago, and it’s one worth recognizing considering the multiple knee injuries that have slowed Rose’s career: he has played in more than 51 games for the first time since 2010-11, the year he was NBA MVP.

“If I could play in 82 games, I would. But it’s not like that,” Rose said. “I have to deal with reality and just have to deal with my past and my present and hopefully, my future will be working towards 82 games.”
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/bulls/2016/03/22/derrick-rose-bulls-knee-injuries/82135520/

Ordinary Joel and Nori like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Nori like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Mar 23, 2016
    I'm happy for him. Good to see he's playing a lot better. He was horrible at the beginning of the year and didn't make any excuses and has shown people he's fine. Not MVP Rose, just fine.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Mar 23, 2016
    That first month or 2 were dark days. I thought he was close to finished man. People were flashing stats of Brandon Roy's last year next to Derrick's and they lined up, but he said f--- all that and got better and better every month, carrying the team to victories along the way.

Ordinary Joel and Big Mitch like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Big Mitch like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  4. Big Mitch

Mar 23, 2016
    Roy was the GOAT. There's still people that say he could've/would've been better than Wade or Kobe if he didn't have injury issues. He was awesome in the clutch too. Just so fun to watch.

Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Mar 23, 2016
    Man idk about that but he was absolutely a top 5 SG in the league. Sky was truly the limit for him. Watching him come back against the Mavs in the playoffs is one of the best live performances I've ever seen.

Big Mitch likes this.
    Big Mitch likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  6. Big Mitch

Mar 23, 2016
    That's the exact same performance that came to mind for me as well. Weird how Portland could look now if he stayed healthy.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  7. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Mar 23, 2016
    And had Aldridge :wellsht:

Big Mitch likes this.
    Big Mitch likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  8. Big Mitch

Mar 23, 2016
    It obviously wouldn't have happened, but imagine the scoring of a team that had Lillard, Roy, and Aldridge w/ a guy like McCollum coming off the bench.... Crazyyyy

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Mar 23, 2016
    I'll always love Aldridge & despise Gar Forman for think Tyrus Thomas would be the better play. One of the worst draft day trades of all time.

Big Mitch likes this.
    Big Mitch likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  10. Big Mitch

Mar 23, 2016
    Lmao I was just gonna bring that up too.... :emoji_slight_frown:

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  11. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Mar 23, 2016
    I have a massive soft spot for Portland. The nucleus of Roy, Aldridge and Oden could've been phenomenal but the stars never aligned. :emoji_slight_frown:

I was so f---ing devastated when Roy had to retire. :wow2: One of my favourite guards OAT.

Poohdini and Big Mitch like this.
    Poohdini and Big Mitch like this.
    Apr 25, 2024