Underground Hip Hop. Music Today.

Started by FilmAndWhisky, Dec 23, 2015, in Music Add to Reading List

1. FilmAndWhisky

Dec 23, 2015
    I joined these boards when I was 14, like 2002, when it was RapBasement. I only used the Underground Hip Hop forum which hasn't existed for a while. Back then I learned of artists like Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, Louis Logic, Cunninlynguists, Tonedeff, etc. from the board. It was a good time. I don't remember if any of you guys where around back then, the main people I spoke with seem to have left (or at least changed names). We used YouSendIt to give each other underground albums. It was pretty cool.

For the last like 10 years or so I've noticed a decline in interest in Underground Hip Hop, or at least a total shift in what Underground Hip Hop is. I'm really confused about this. Mostly cause during the last 10 years I've moved from Underground Hip Hop to Rock to Psychedelic to Folk to Blues, and I now listen less to Hip Hop than in the past. I used to come to this board for Underground Hip Hop but now I come here for the Movie forum, and I pretty much stay planted there.

I've tried listening to current hip hop that's popular on this board, but for the most part haven't been able to get into it. If I'm listening to Hip Hop it's probably the latest album by Cunninlynguists (new Deacon, new Natti), Atmosphere, or Sadistik. I haven't really even kept up with underground. I can't get into Kendrick, Future, J Cole, etc. I'm not sure why, but I'm willing to try again.

I want you guys to bring me back to Underground Hip Hop. To the good stuff. Post links to albums, youtube songs, or whatever else. Let me know what the best Underground albums have been over the last few years. Make me care about Hip Hop again, cause for me Hip Hop has been dead since like 2004.

joeyp363 likes this.
    joeyp363 likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Dec 23, 2015
    Vinnie Paz's two solo albums and his EP were good. You might already know about them though as you mentioned JMT.

joeyp363 likes this.
    joeyp363 likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  3. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Dec 23, 2015
    That clear distinction between Indie and Commercial that existed in the late 90's and early 2000's is no longer there. You have Indie rappers who are really just Commercial rappers who haven't made it yet. A lot of the artists you mentioned are still active to an extent. Aesop Rock just released an EP with Homeboy Sandman, an Indie rapper from Queens, NYC who's signed to Stones Throw Records. The EP is called "Lice" and you can download it for free here: https://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2015/11/lice You should check out the Doppelgangaz- an underground group from Upstate NY who rap and produce. R.A. The Rugged Man has been cosigning a teenage rapper from LA called A-F-R-O. He's worked with R.A. and JMT so far. Non Phixion reunited last year. They haven't released any new material yet but they have been touring (I caught them at their NYC show). You might like CZARFACE which is a relatively new group comprised of 7L & Esoteric and Inspectah Deck. They released their 2nd album "Every Hero Needs A Villain". Also, Cannibal Ox finally released their 2nd album "Blade of the Ronin" this year.

FilmAndWhisky and joeyp363 like this.
    FilmAndWhisky and joeyp363 like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  4. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Dec 23, 2015
    Besides what Tone mentioned, maybe try Busdriver, Milo, Death Grips, Lil Ugly Mane, Ka, or Jonwayne.

Apr 18, 2024
  5. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Dec 23, 2015
    Check out stuff from Mello Music Group. Red Pill, Open Mike Eagle, Apollo Brown etc etc

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  6. FilmAndWhisky

Dec 24, 2015
    Dope, thanks bro. If I'm correct, you were one of the guys from back in the RapBasement days, so I appreciate the response. Some good stuff here. Saw RA not too long ago, and I feel like maybe that guy was there as well (there were opening acts/collaborations). a new cannibal ox sounds f---ing mad as h--- right now. downloading that right away.

Tone Riggz likes this.
    Tone Riggz likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  7. Flacko

Flacko Too Blessed To Be Humble

Dec 24, 2015
    'Underground' doesn't really exist anymore. It's more of a tier system now.

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024