Film Vahn's Objective Top 15 American Films of All Time

Started by Vahn, Mar 3, 2017, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Mar 5, 2017
    Aka dude got emotional and was bullied off a message board. pretty sure jet said he still comes here just to read posts lol

Apr 16, 2024
  2. Alchemist34

Alchemist34 DO MY HEAD

Mar 5, 2017
    Tell him we're sorry and want him back

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  3. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Mar 5, 2017
    bro his whole family got exposed on this site and he never ran off lol. you think some "married guy with a salary job" is running him off :laff: dude just got sick of the double standards with him and everyone else on the site.

narsh hasn't logged in since Jun 23, 2016 and does not have an alias. posts are hidden for guests to read. i still talk to the guy weekly, he doesn't give a s--- about andy or anyone on this site outside of BC, me, jet, flacko, soldier, and any other friends he had on this site.

Ordinary Joel, SWERVO and Vahn like this.
    Ordinary Joel, SWERVO and Vahn like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  4. Vahn

Vahn butterfly jewels beauty

Mar 5, 2017
    Narsh was always a genuine dude tbh, always made good contributions to the film section on SL.

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  5. Mike Tyson

Mar 5, 2017
    he was sensitive, incapable of accepting any view point that went against his own, but yup, genuine nice kid. built the foundations for the thug section on this site, which has now become a corner stone of the site's identity.

good guy, and his contributions here are forever lasting.

Apr 16, 2024
  6. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Mar 5, 2017
    Yes lol because he constantly cried about it. Even after he blocked captain awesome, he still let him get under his skin lol. I never said he logs on, I just remember jet saying he comes here to check in once and a while but doesn't post. Never said he cared about anyone here either lol. I just said the guy was emotional because he totally was lol.

Just to be clear, I liked narsh as a poster too. I just think his reactions/interactions with certain posters led to him being pushed out lol. He was kind of like that kid in school who you couldn't help but f--- with.

lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  7. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 5, 2017
    lol it's my fault Narsh left except it isn't. Talk about being a beta - lamenting over f---ing Narsh.

@Enigma is right - and yes he absolutely ghosts here. Give it up

Edit - tbh I'll gladly leave if it's incentive for precious Narsh to return lol. If not drop the bitter emo act

0 0
    Apr 16, 2024
  8. Lucy

Lucy #1

Mar 5, 2017
    you are such a f---ing r-----. I guess this is a reasonable assumption when the only websites you browse are review sites.
    tell him i called him a benchot next time u speak to him plz

Apr 16, 2024
  9. Mike Tyson

Mar 5, 2017
    like i said, lurking is not possible here. so not sure why you're under that impression.

i mentioned him logging in because it is impossible to read the site without an account.

Apr 16, 2024
  10. Lucy

Lucy #1

Mar 5, 2017
    If he has to explain it to you, I'm sorry to inform you but, you are too intellectually inferior to understand. Perhaps repeat middle school?

Apr 16, 2024
  11. Pinhead

Mar 6, 2017
    You've been holding this over some of us since Studioleaks. How many movies do we have to watch before you'll start thinking we have a basis? Your taste is fundamentally different than some of ours, yet you still act like we still haven't seen the right things or read from the right people. We're not going to magically start prioritizing what you do.

No wonder you find it baffling. Can't speak for the others, but I couldn't care less about being told a story. I care about ideas, emotions, and how we can use form to say something instead of words on a page. Despite constantly denying it, you follow a very traditional metric of what makes a movie good. It's like you're more interested in how the cinematic landscape looks than you are with considering perspectives that clash with your biases.

To go back to The Aviator, that shot of Leo overlooking the party is more telling to me than most scenes with dialogue could ever hope to be. Try to stop looking at what you think a movie accomplishes in a larger context (be it a career, decade, whatever) and try to look at what it accomplishes in the confides of its own makeup. You seem to only care about technique or form when it suits you, as with certain criticisms. Railing The Revenant for being derivative after praising Bone Tomahawk for being a fun throwback? Okay. There's room for both narrative and visual storytelling in film, stop judging the two the same way and maybe you'll start to understand why some of us think the way we do.

Apr 16, 2024
  12. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 6, 2017
    I absolutely don't think this. Like, at all. I think there's a generational thing here.... I also do think some of you have different, and sometimes bad taste. That a crime?

I do too! I'd say I'm very character-driven though, if I had to characterize. Five Easy Pieces at least used to be on my OAT list.

I mean, I don't think you have the knowledge to make that call frankly. Bc I don't think Spring Breakers? I don't have any more "biases" than the average filmgoer -- like, to a point, we're all biased.

Revenant was brutally pretentious. Bone Tomahawk was a cool b-movie. Not a controversial opinion lol. You want to fight? The fact you can only say "okay" speaks volumes about the film "discussion" here.

Now you kids are just pigeonholing me bc you're mad. You want to debate film on its merits, I'm in - that's the point of this place (supposedly lol.) Don't conflate what I think - or can argue - bc ive spanked ur friend

Don't tell me what to "try" lol - the discussion about Aviator was LITERALLY within the context of Scorsese's career. Like, that was the thread.

RE: the shot, fair point. It didn't linger with me, but - ftr- I wasn't saying the movie was an absolute failure. Speaking of rigid rubrics, internet culture has fostered a mentality where stuff is either god-level, or trash. Learn to read into nuance, especially when it comes to debating.

Uhhh clearly get that (dig most Michael Mann films per that other thread, I'm honestly curious what makes @Vahn enjoy Blackhat! I've heard others say why bc I'm interested on his take. Maybe it's bc he's butthurt, maybe bc he cant, i havent seen an argument.)

You don't know how I judge movies, and I already understand your guys' POV. You aren't like... complex people/thinkers lol.

@Mike Tyson @jet has flat out said narsh has ghosted here. it's not a wild assertion lol - and i suspect he prefers the echo chamber culture on twitter to the mostly boring goings on here, anyhow. why u putting that p---- on a pedestal?

0 0
    Apr 16, 2024
  13. Vahn

Mar 6, 2017
    @Papa Andy i did say why I enjoyed Blackhat m8, must've been lost in the shuffle, I just said I can't really write an essay on it at the moment, I briefly summed up why I think it's great and an important piece in Mann's filmography. Also, to be fair, im pretty much split on my favorite Mann between that and Ali, I just tend to lean towards Blackhat because for me it acts as a culmination of everything he's ever done and pushes his style further into the experimental realm than he's ever gone before. I genuinely think Mann has about 9-10 classics though so I never implied that anyone is incorrect to have any of his other films as the top, I think he's one of the most consistent auteurs ever.

lil uzi vert stan and Twan like this.
    lil uzi vert stan and Twan like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  14. Swizz

Mar 6, 2017
    just found this thread wtfff

Apr 16, 2024
  15. Dew

Dew سيف الله

Mar 6, 2017
    I'd like to go on record that The Revenant is indeed trash

Twan likes this.
    Twan likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  16. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Mar 6, 2017
    nice edge bruh

Apr 16, 2024
  17. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Mar 6, 2017
    watching Jim Jarmusch's Dead man in class today pumped

Apr 16, 2024
  18. dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl

Mar 6, 2017
    11/10 movie by 11/10 director

Ordinary Joel, Vahn and Bourbon Ben like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Vahn and Bourbon Ben like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  19. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Mar 6, 2017
    never seen a Jarmusch film but heard great things so im excited

Apr 16, 2024
  20. Vahn

Mar 6, 2017
    Whew yas.

Rewatched it in preparation for Paterson a few months ago, tis a brick.

Apr 16, 2024