Film Vahn's Objective Top 15 American Films of All Time

Started by Vahn, Mar 3, 2017, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl

Mar 6, 2017
    Down By Law & Night On Earth are essential af

Ordinary Joel and Bourbon Ben like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Bourbon Ben like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Mar 6, 2017
    just looked at his filmography and saw paterson amazing reviews and holy s--- lmaoo

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Vahn

Vahn butterfly jewels beauty

Mar 6, 2017
    Need to make a thread for bruh.

https://letterboxd.com/razvahn/list/jim-jarmusch/

Apr 19, 2024
  4. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Mar 6, 2017
    oh nvm i seen Broken flowers fantastic film

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Swizz

Mar 6, 2017
    now might be the time to mention I f-ing hated Paterson tbh

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Mar 6, 2017
    Spring Breakers and Wall-E :whew:

Ordinary Joel and Vahn like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Vahn

Mar 6, 2017
    I saw how low it was on your lb list and was like wot de h--- ?! :jordanlaff:

Swizz likes this.
    Swizz likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Vahn

Mar 6, 2017
    real one detected

Lil Squeed likes this.
    Lil Squeed likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Mar 6, 2017
    Well dead man is phenomenal

dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl and Vahn like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. Vahn

Mar 6, 2017
    The ending is so hauntingly beautiful, left me in shambles.

Apr 19, 2024
  11. Pinhead

Mar 6, 2017
    Our taste is different, that's my point. You act baffled about certain opinions when we're looking for completely different things to begin with.

You can think our taste is bad, but to keep falling back on age/experience is lame. I've seen enough of your yearly top 10's and rankings to know that you have a lenience towards prestige movies and crowd pleasers. Nothing wrong with that, we're just on a different wavelength.

Lol this is what I'm talking about.

What does that even mean? Pretentious is your default criticism for these types of movies. You can throw that word at anything, it's meaningless.

I was the one trying to discuss it on its own merits, you were the one deflecting to "how it looks" against things like Raging Bull and Taxi Driver. That makes no sense to me.

Leo is INCREDIBLE in it btw

It's rare that I straight up dislike a film. Peep my LB, I'm definitely not one of those people.

Explain yourself then

Apr 19, 2024
  12. Vahn

Mar 6, 2017
    Calling something pretentious is by far the laziest criticism and I've been saying that for years.

Pinhead likes this.
    Pinhead likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 7, 2017
    Hard to top Ali for me personally. The movies I saw in theaters when I was like 16 or whatever -- Ali, Pundrunk Love, Adaptation, Rules of Attraction -- rly hold a special place for me. You know, finally able to see R rated movies alone, etc.

But then again Heat and Thief are brilliant, stone cold classics. These are hard topics

it is kind of catch all I agree - an excuse to not "engage" with a film, I get that. I also think, in the right context, it's totally an appropriate word to use lol..

in this context, it was about film > tv. Maybe it's just who I'm reading, but the conversation seems way more focused on what television is doing than film. I get there's a rly strong passionate constituency of film lovers, though I think very quickly the dust appears.

You don't - you're judging this on a few posts from a message board lol. You have no idea what I've seen. I'm not being glib (and I'd argue I've generally been VERY forthright with you guys, considering).

Overwrought. Nasty, self-indulgent. I'm not the only person to s--- on Revenant. And lol @ calling me out for not being articulate enough... for this forum.

Again, context, dude. The conversation drifted to how the film plays within a broader prism of Scorsese's filmography, how personal it is to him, etc.

In some ways, yeah it's peak Leo. In others, he's borderline miscast, frankly. It relies on his persona often (wait... can I acknowledge he has one?!) it's kind of a bridge from the boyish adventurer performances of his early career and the identify-questioning persona of future work.

Link? And that wasn't a personal shot rly - just kind of a general comment on how online conversations tend to go

I feel like that's all I've been doing lol. I don't get paid for this m8

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Pinhead

Mar 8, 2017
    I'd recommend checking out Blackhat again with Thief fresh in mind. It's basically a rework of that formula with crime taken from a street level to a global one. Opening's of each establish this right away. First 45 minutes or so follow the same structure with Mann even reusing certain scenes, tweaking character stuff to fit the grander scale and evolved introspection from the leads. First acts both culminate in a conversation about their prison philosophy with their future partner. Caan had a tiny collage of the life he wanted after he got out, Hemsworth had his music, books, and photos. Caan numbs his self, Hemsworth holds onto his. Thief is that struggle after doing time and coming out, Blackhat is that struggle while doing time and getting another chance. Fancy cars traded for planes and helicopters, dark blues traded for vibrant greens - it really is Thief for the digital age.

Nihilism vs optimism - hopelessness of the streets vs the infinite potential of an interconnected world.

I don't want more words, I want to know what these words mean in the context of the movie.

The Revenant is pretentious, overwrought, self-indulgent. Tell me how. That reads as "Inarritu is too showy with his camera" to me.

Being miscast isn't really his fault though? I know nothing about Hughes sooo

All ratings from top to bottom

Vahn likes this.
    Vahn likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  15. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 8, 2017
    Idk, it's a distance thing to me. Like Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong. Like, look, maybe it'll be rly immersive. But odds are it'll be Ryan Gosling in space. No? Not prejudging it's just these pretty boys aren't always simpatico with the source material. It's hard for them to disappear in the wrong role.

It's not impossible for a superstar to fully embody another modern legend, mind you. Will Smith in Ali actually comes to mind. Sean Penn as Milk.

ok - this is thoughtful. im not saying ill watch it tonight, but if the mood strikes, ill def rewatch. only took 17 pages lls.

I mean, the whole thing felts like a self-conscious art exercise to me. I'll be honest, I saw it at a screening a few weeks before it came out, so I can't engage with you on a shot-by-shot level - nor do I rly want to revisit it! From my memory, it had such a strong premise -- a revenge western. Needed to be maybe a half hour shorter, that sort of movie. Sure, not everything needs to have the entertainment value of something like Unforgiven; if it wants to include meditations on "man's war with nature" ,whatever, fine. It just felt too piqued -- too much like a Malick derivative ---but without any of the unaffected poetry. Leo was fine... but kind of Oscar baity. I actually dug Hardy more.

Apr 19, 2024
  16. Vahn

Mar 8, 2017
    I still haven't seen The Revanant lel

Radeem likes this.
    Radeem likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Dew

Dew سيف الله

Mar 8, 2017
    dont

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  18. Old_Parr

Mar 8, 2017
    By American Films we mean produced in USA right? Some peoplego by Director's nationality

My List is very simple quite frankly. If i had to choose one film per director it would much more different.

1. The Godfather
    2. The Godfather, Part II
    3. Inglourious Basterds
    4. No Country For Old Men
    5. Once Upon a Time in The West
    6. Once Upon a Time in America
    7. Before Sunrise
    8. Mulholland Dr
    9. The Tree Of Life
    10. Psycho
    11. Before Sunset
    12. Punch Drunk Love
    13. Magnolia
    14. There Will be Blood
    15. Boyhood

Pinhead, Twan and Vahn like this.
    Pinhead, Twan and Vahn like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. FilmAndWhisky

Mar 9, 2017
    This has gone 17 pages? s---, I need a day off.

Apr 19, 2024
  20. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Mar 10, 2017
    Watching Spring Breakers because of this thread. What in the f--- were you guys talking about:'):'):')

Did you guys not have a youth? This psuedo-deep bs is awfullllll.

Apr 19, 2024