Film Weekly Film Club

Started by Vahn, May 24, 2017, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Vahn

Vahn butterfly jewels beauty

Jul 10, 2017
    We gonna do sum good ol anime this week.

Whisper of the Heart (Yoshifumi Kondō)

[​IMG]

@FilmAndWhisky @Twan @Charlie Work @Pinhead @coil @Radeem @RobTheDude @King V @Old_Parr @Moon Age @Sp00ky

Apr 26, 2024
  2. Vahn

Jul 15, 2017
    How unbelievably beautiful, like wow, my heart :emoji_heart:

Top 5 Ghibli easy.

Apr 26, 2024
  3. Pinhead

Jul 16, 2017
    Temptress Moon is one of the prettiest movies I've ever seen, holy s---

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. FilmAndWhisky

Jul 16, 2017
    Temptress moon really pretty, but I felt that the cinematography, though gorgeously realized by Christopher Doyle, felt at odds with the story that kaige was trying to convey. Its trying to be elegant and understated, speaking through visuals, and yet the dialogue rambles inelegantly like a melodrama. Couldn't tell if it was trying to be poetic or audacious. Like an art house mafia film that doesn't quite feel art house or mafia like.
    Very good overall though

Pinhead and Vahn like this.
    Pinhead and Vahn like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Pinhead

Jul 17, 2017
    It was def way too convoluted for its own good

FilmAndWhisky and Vahn like this.
    FilmAndWhisky and Vahn like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. Vahn

Jul 17, 2017
    And now for our first American film!

Peggy Sue Got Married (Francis Ford Coppola)

[​IMG]

@FilmAndWhisky @Twan @Charlie Work @Pinhead @coil @Radeem @RobTheDude @King V @Old_Parr @Moon Age @Sp00ky @Cunner

Apr 26, 2024
  7. FilmAndWhisky

Jul 21, 2017
    Whisper of the Heart is a really beautiful film. Like my favourite anime's, it's grounded in realism in spite of a bearing in fantasy. To this end, my least favourite part of the film is the fantasy sequence with the Baron; though some beautiful shots are encountered here, it doesn't have that uncanny quality of fantasy that films like, say, Spirited Away has. That said, it's one of the most sincere and certainly among the best in its genre. Brilliant music, a rollercoaster of emotions, and a bittersweet ending without a semblance of actual closure; what more could you want?

88/100 - Excellent

dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl and Vahn like this.
    dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl and Vahn like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  8. FilmAndWhisky

Jul 23, 2017
    A hidden gem of comedy/entertainment. Though flawed, its affirmations of love are laudably presented. And as cheesy as he is, Nicolas Cage's caricature role is iconic, the best part of the film, and bizarrely resonant.

77/100 - Very Good

Vahn and dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl like this.
    Vahn and dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. Vahn

Jul 23, 2017
    Really loved the film and its lighthearted vibe. I think its handling of time travel as a concept was very well done and balanced seamlessly with the comedy and love story. Great performances all around and one of Jim Carey's first performances which he makes sure to take advantage of and use his brief moments to shine and make an impact. Also wanna note that the photography is absolutely stunning and it's one of the many things that make the film stand out from its Hollywood romance comedy contemporaries.

Apr 26, 2024
  10. FilmAndWhisky

Jul 23, 2017
    on the cinematography, two really nice bookending shots. A pull out in first scene from tv/helen hunt to Peggy Sue face in a mirror. Pull out in last scene from mirror/helen to Peggy Sue in the flesh. Very nice touches and my favourite scene/2scenes of the film

on Jim Carey... "I'm a little worried about the side effects" (arm pulled behind back) is so classic, one of my favourite carey moments now.

Vahn likes this.
    Vahn likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  11. FilmAndWhisky

Jul 25, 2017
    Now for some South American works.

Our film this week is O Pagador de Promessas, the only Brazilian film to ever win the Palme d'Or.

[​IMG]

We will also be watching 3 shorts from Lisandro Alonso so long as they're available.
    1. Lechuza (1min)
    2. Dos en la Vereda (3min)
    3. Sin Titulo (23min)

@Vahn @Twan @Charlie Work @Pinhead @coil @Radeem @RobTheDude @King V @Old_Parr @Moon Age @Sp00ky @Cunner

Attached Files:

RobTheDude, Sp00ky, Vahn and 2 others like this.
    RobTheDude, Sp00ky, Vahn and 2 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  12. FilmAndWhisky

Jul 27, 2017
    Those searching for the Alonso shorts:

Lechuza

Dos en la Vereda

Sin Titulo (23min) is available on KG. @Vahn gonna download and up to the S80 Film dropbox.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  13. Vahn

Jul 31, 2017
    Kamran got us watching sum Stalin propaganda now

Zvenigora (Aleksander Dovzhenko)

[​IMG]

@Vahn @Twan @Charlie Work @Pinhead @coil @Radeem @RobTheDude @King V @Old_Parr @Moon Age @Sp00ky @Cunner

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Apr 26, 2024
  14. FilmAndWhisky

Aug 6, 2017
    haven't watched the shorts, which is why I didn't post, but I really liked O Pagador de Promessas. Feels like a split between italian neorealism (with the on location shooting/non actors/dubbing) and classical hollywood (melodrama/music/climactic drama). The story is really genuine and heartfelt though at times the rhythm is a bit awkward or unsure of itself. The capoeira scene is one of my favourites.

As a side note, I've been to the pelourinho in Salvador and sat on those steps where the film takes place. Watched musicians play at the foot of the stairs where the black woman in the film is always standing, and the culture felt so similar to that in the movie, besides the religion aspect. the music and love and people on the streets tho... lit

Apr 26, 2024
  15. coil

Aug 6, 2017
    Sorry been forgetting about this but Dovzhenko is one of my fav soviet directors. Earth was a life changing film for me. Zvenigora obvs is different but just as good. Feel it sets the pace for what Tarkovsky would do later as well if I dare say Malick's Thin Red Line? Perhaps those comparisons need more nauance but that's what I thought when viewing this a year or so ago. Probably my favourite era of cinema.

Have actually been binging silent films over the weekend and the use of the face and the eyes are a lost art for the most part in modern cinema.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. FilmAndWhisky

Aug 7, 2017
    Awesome post.

Soviet montage and realism amongst my favourite film movements--besides the propaganda pieces. Tarkovsky spoke very highly of Earth, considering it one of the most important films in cinema. He held Dovzhenko in very high esteem along with Bresson, Mizoguchi, Kurosawa, Bergman, Vigo, Antonioni, all those great filmmakers. But Earth is all I've seen from Dovzhenko so I'm excited to see a second.

Have you seen any other of his films? I've heard that Zvenigora is very different from other films of its era in that it is more of a 'poem' in the way Tarkovsky's films are.

Twan and dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl like this.
    Twan and dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  17. coil

Aug 7, 2017
    I dunno I love the real strong propaganda pieces Especially the later stuff like Vertov's Three Songs of Lenin, Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky and Deserter by Pudovkin(who seems vastly underrated when talking about those early Soviets). There's obviously a ton more but those 3 stick out. I think the use of the montage and the realism matters more within propaganda films. But my political views are also very close to what they're producing propaganda for....

I've seen Earth and Arsenal as well. Which are definitely much more in line with each other. Zvenigora certainly for most part lacks the rhythm of Soviet work. Still love it tho because that kind of lyrically poetic film making is what I love from cinema of all eras.

Definitely feel even tho we get the bare bones when studying film(battleship/movie camera[both amazing obviously]) that Soviet film making remains underseen. Like the fact that The Queen of Spades by Protazanov isn't recognized for being so vital to the way modern movies tell stories is saddening to me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    FilmAndWhisky likes this.
    FilmAndWhisky likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  18. FilmAndWhisky

Aug 8, 2017
    @Vahn falling back on his theme duties.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  19. Vahn

Aug 9, 2017
    Sorry guys, forgot to announce the new choice cause I've been rly busy the past few days.

We gonna do an acclaimed New York classic this week.

Dog Day Afternoon (Sidney Lumet)

[​IMG]

@FilmAndWhisky @Twan @Charlie Work @Pinhead @coil @Radeem @RobTheDude @King V @Old_Parr @Moon Age @Sp00ky @Cunner

Apr 26, 2024
  20. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Aug 9, 2017
    So... I haven't participated once. I'll make an effort to change that going forward since you keep tagging me regardless lol. I've seen DDA before. I'll give it a rewatch. :emoji_ok_hand:

Apr 26, 2024