What's Stanfield Been Bumping? (TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2021 SO FAR)

Started by Sav Stanfield, Oct 3, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 23, 2021
    I was just searching itt for that lmao. Link ?

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

May 23, 2021
    boom! i have a strong feeling you'll enjoy this one, lmk what you think!

Apr 18, 2024
  3. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 23, 2021
    Once again u were correct sir!

Man this is exactly my type of s---. How does so many boring s--- get more praise than stuff like this ???

Gonna look for a dl for this , thanks dude!

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  4. Sav Stanfield

May 24, 2021
    i dont know how this hasn't got more attentiont! I've been bumping the whole thing back to front since it dropped. Such a fun project. Glad you enjoyed!

Apr 18, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

May 31, 2021
    Last week was STACKED. There's still a couple of projects I wanna check out but for those I did....

Young Nudy - DR. EV4L
    This album - like all Nudy albums - sounds like you're floating through a nightmarish haunted traphouse while demonic creatures poke their heads through the cracks, cackling while you frantically search for an exit. But this one is particularly evil. or EV4L. There's no Pierre with his bouncy weirdness to balance out Nudy's murderous streak and the result is a claustrophobic carnival of threats and taunts and strange flows and vocal inflections that comes together in - maybe not Nudy's best album - but his most sinister to date.

Yung Mal - 1.5 Way Or No Way
    ATLien and former 1017-signee (just before the New Memphisian roster came on the scene), who's been dropping some really good trap over the last 2 years or so. Nothing groundbreaking, but this one's a compact little project with a great selection of booming instrumentals and solid guest features.

18Veno - Space Route
    A 19-year old Veno was tragically murdered earlier this year just as his career was starting to take off. And it was a promising one at that. High energy, sharp, charismatic and with a great ear for instrumentals that matched his animated flows and delivery. Thos beats were mostly courtesy of frequent collaborator Neako who produces the bulk of Veno's posthumous debut. And unlike other recent high profile posthumous albums, this one actually sounds like it was finished, or close to being finished. It flows consistently from front-to-back, with Veno effortlessly demonstrating his multifaceted talents. Another one gone far too soon.

CEO Trayle - Stay Dangerous
    I've posted about Trayle before - a weird offshoot of the Thugger family tree (there's even a song on here called Barter 6) who slinks and slides and crawls in between the cracks and crevices of the most incongruent beats he can find. This is his second album following his 2020 debut and I'm astonished at how much Trayle's grown and developed in the interim - as a rapper and a technician that is. Its clear he's taken to spending more time on his bars, brimming with clever wordplay and complicated multi-syllabic patterns and flows, all delivered in that creepy, slimy Georgian drawl. There's something incredibly magnetic about it. I'd highly recommend checking this one out.

SpottemGottem - Most Wanted
    BeatBox became a cultural phenomenon but the question is if there's more to FL's SpottemGottem than a tiktok meme? He's clearly trying to replicate the success of BeatBox : almost every song coming in at under 2 minutes, instrumentals that are so stupidly simple but undeniably catchy and spazzed out Floridian flows. Its highly possible he'll stumble onto another hit but its clear he's still got a way to go as a fully developed artist. Fun little listen though.

42 Dugg - Free Dem Boyz

My introduction to Dugg (apart from We Paid) was his Young & Turnt 2 album from last year. It was fun. The diminutive Detroit rapper seemed like a fun guy, despite that kinda ominous spaghetti Western whistle. Free Dem Boyz is an entirely different story though. Its essentially a concept album and besides for the retro 80's lead single with Roddy Ricch, this is one of the darkest and most morose releases of the year. Its built around that Helluva-like bubbling discoish Michigan production thats been creeping its way across the rap landscape in the last few years but its mostly just background noise. Dugg takes front and center stage as he delves into the hardships he's faced over the course of his life, the g--- violence, the criminal justice system, the tragedy and the heartbreak of lost family and friends. Its not by any means a fun album and even with killer features from labelmates EST Gee, Rylo Rodriguez and the aforementioned Roddy, stays in a dark and frankly terrifying place throughout its runtime. I'm still not sure if I even like this album but d---... this was a helluva (pun intended) listen.

YG & Mozzy - Kommunity Service

The novelty of the Belly album art and 2 of the best in the West going back forth over the Wanksta beat wore off quicker than I thought it would. This was a fun little project though and I'm glad these 2 came together to do this. They complement each other so well. Some great features, a couple of big hits, a couple of big misses, but overall I'd say positive positive. Like almost everything YG's put out since SB it sounds kinda rushed though. Like the results of a day or 2 in the studio together, nothing more. I'd definitely check in for a sequel though if there is one

Mach-Hommy - Pray for Haiti

Best for last. I mean, there's not much more to say that hasn't been said already. A strong early contender for AOTY. A masterclass in technical brilliance, Mach finally stepping out into full form after a few seemingly half-hearted releases, this one with all the shiny art-rap extras and grimy boom bap frills Griselda/Gunn has to offer - the sequel we've been waiting for since HBO dropped backed in 2017. And god d---, it does not disappoint. Flashes of Pac, Hov, Nas, DOOM, Mos Def, coated in Kreyol, dripping in sly, elegant tricks of the tongue that not many others could even dream of matching. I can't wait to see what else these 2 crews have cooking up. I'd love to see Droog and Fahim get pulled into the Griselda-sphere (or vice versa) at some point in the future.

Apr 18, 2024
  6. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

May 31, 2021
    I thought SpottemGottems discography only consists of BeatBox Part 1-10 and accompanying remixes

Apr 18, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

May 31, 2021
    lol i know i was shocked to find out he made other songs. ngl there were actually a few slaps on there

Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

Jun 24, 2021
    Not sure if this song has been posted on here but this is surely a top 5 Kodak moment of all time. Cannot stop hitting play

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

Jun 29, 2021
    So 6 months into one of the weirdest years on record and despite the slow start to the year, the infinite stream of new music has picked up like crazy over the last few months. So many albums I could list and rank but figured I'd keep it simple: these are my top 5 albums of the year so far. Not necessarily the objective best, just those that have stuck with me through this extended second year of lockdown, those that I find myself returning to between the neverending Zoom calls and spreadsheets and runs around the block. All of them worth checking out if you havent already.

5. Young Dolph & Key Glock - Dum and Dummer 2

I know @Koolo s gonna agree with me on this one. I've never even really delved into the history of Memphis hip hop much - just the Three 6 Mafia essentials, a couple of 8Ball & MJG albums here and there. I've always loved Juicy J but my real Memphis obsession started when I discovered the one and only Young Dolph aka the the loudest, most earthquake-like adliber in the history of adlibs. Its that stone-cold, gravelly baritone voice that just pours so smoothly through the speakers like lean into styrofoam. Never flashy or technical just straightforward, telling it like it its, even if 'it' is often the most outlandish '80k shopping spree' type s--- imaginable. Its spellbinding to just listen to the guy talk s---. Im a big fan of Glock too but he's never clicked in quite the same way Dolph has for me. Nevertheless, whenever the 2 titans team up you can bet your a--- there's gonna be some seriously hard s--- going down. Even moreso with one of the best producers in the game right now - BandPlay - completing the Memphisian cypher.

4. TIE: Gucci Mane - Ice Daddy // Pooh Sheisty - Sheisty Season

Speaking of Memphis.... I havent been the only one with Ten-a-key on my mind. The legendary Guwop has somehow once again reforged his 1017 empire, this time almost exclusively populated with up and coming Memphis talent. I have f---ing loved everything thats come out so far. From the announcement to the compilations to the solo albums, its all been exactly the kinda s--- i wanna hear. But the biggest highlights so far have been Sheisty's debut and Gucci's own latest, the perfect complementary pieces to highlight the insane amount of potential brimming out of the new 1017 right now. As Gucci increasingly sounds more comfortable in his elder statsman status (i know i know, he'll never be pre-prison Wop!), passing on the baton to Sheisty, possibly the hottest rapper alive right now. I cannot wait to see what comes next.
    (Side note: holy f---ing s---, Gucci's verse on Ugly still gets me every time. You can't tell me this man fell off).

3. Tyler The Creator - CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST

It hasn't even been out for a week yet but like a wise man once said, if you know you know. As soon as I heard that Gravediggaz sample on LUMBERJACK i knew this would be IT. Flower Boy and IGOR are both sensational pieces of work, but I've always kinda hoped in the back of my mind that Tyler would expand on that Who Dat Boy sound - that space somewhere between b------ and Igor. Filthy, over-the-top rough-hewn vulgarity meets Kanye-esque art rap type s--- (how tf do they do that thing where they make the features blend in so well??), all bound together by an astounding amount of growth and maturity and of course, the ever-present DJ Drama. Not even a week and i already think Igor and Flower Boy have each dropped a notch in Tyler's catalog.

2. Mach-Hommy - Pray for Haiti

I think objectively this is rap AOTY. Already wrote about this one a few posts up, but as I mentioned previously, this albums sees Mach reaching those rare, elite levels of rapping that only come around every few years, teaming back up with the Griselda head honcho finally delivering the HBO follow-up we've been waiting on. Indisputable masterpiece.

1. Rome Streetz & DJ Muggs - Death & The Magician

Call me an old head. I mean, s--- at 32 years old I am an old head. I'm practically geriatric. It feels like my preferences get dustier by the day. But god d--- it this album is pure gold. Scrap that, its platinum (definitely not in sales lol). I've been closely following Muggs' post Cypress Hill career since Grandmasters and especially so in the last few years as he's teamed up with the best up-and-coming 90s and boom bap revivalists in the game. Rome Streetz on the other hand was new to me. I'd seen his name floating around but never listened to any of his music. Seems like I've been missing out. This man is to Big L what Pop Smoke was to 50 Cent. Its like you're taken directly back to 139 & Lennox as he hits you with those L-like quotables and punchlines galore, again and again and again. And Muggs is right there beside him, never outshining, just masterfully coloring in the spaces with perfectly ice-cold jabs of dust. AOTY so far.

A coupla HMs - restricted to relatively lesser known artists that I think are worth checking out if you're looking for more 2021 recommendations:

Ordinary Joel and Oldboy like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Oldboy like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  10. Sav Stanfield

Jun 29, 2021
    Alright, what did miss? why's my list wrong? what else you all got??

Apr 18, 2024