What are you watching on Netflix/Hulu/HBO/etc.?

Started by Kon, Jan 10, 2018, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Marsh

Marsh Nobody told you that I'm loco, ese?

Oct 4, 2022
    Hawkeye is my favortie MCU series after Wandavision :khaled2:

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Oct 4, 2022
    h--- yeah, best believe I watched this series. It’s what made me fall in love with Hailee Steinfeld in the first place. It was honestly more of her show than Hawkeye’s:emoji_heart_eyes:
    Same, Kate Bishop is a great character and her interactions with Yelena were nice to watch

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Marsh

Oct 4, 2022
    Don't forget Lucky the dog :khaled2:

Ordinary Joel and Ripper Roo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Oct 6, 2022
    Just finished She-Hulk episode 8. It’s the first episode I’d call good and not be hesitant about it afterwards. It’s a shame it took a bunch of boring and bad filler episodes to get here… if the series was more like this episode it would’ve been awesome. I’m hoping the episode 9 finale next week carries this momentum.
    I was not expecting She-Hulk and Daredevil to have sex but okay lmao. It’s nice to see things they were building earlier in the series (Jen not being able to control her anger like she says she can, her falling for guys so easily) come to fruition here when Intelligencia exposes her, calls her a slut, and she finally gets super angry in Hulk fashion, destroying that screen. Matt convincing her to finally be a hero in that one bar scene didn’t make much sense to me though. She clearly hasn’t cared about being a hero this whole time. I don’t know how one conversation changes her mind, even if she has a thing for the guy.

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic Serenity now!

Oct 6, 2022
    MCU TV shows are awful. She-Hulk and Captian America feels like a spoof on their own s---. Not enjoyed one show and not liked any of the movies since the new phrase. Should have ended the MCU universe after Endgame and rebooted it a few years later with a new universe but of course money and Disney owns all, so never gonna happen and the multiverse is a life time contract to all of this. But they have butchered the quality that it once had. Movies are what ever, like them or don’t like them. Always been that way. But the shows are just shoehorning series’s for the sake of it with poor writing, quality and filler.

Netflix Daredevil is one of my favourite shows ever but what Disney are doing with that character all ready is laughable at best. Rebooted show is going to be terrible and ruin what came before it.

Mar 28, 2024
  6. jankland

jankland In My Cringe Arc.

Oct 6, 2022
    Take it easy daytime emmy

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Marsh

Oct 6, 2022
    Wandavision and Hawkeye were good :kanye3:

Let's not act like Netflix ones were amazing, it was just Daredevil and S1 of Punisher and Jessica Jones, the rest was weak.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Oct 6, 2022
    I like some of the shows and movies from phase 4 but other than that I pretty much agree with you. Marvel and Disney have prioritized connecting the shows and movies (haphazardly), stupid jokes, and forcing whatever agenda (which is often hypocritical) they have going on at the moment over writing a good story.

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Supersonic

Supersonic Serenity now!

Oct 7, 2022
    Midnight Club is meh so far after 2 episodes. Book is amazing and Flanagans Netflix series all before it are great too but not connecting with the screen adaptation yet. Horror is what ever, just bad cgi and jump scares every minute, like it’s always been. But it’s Flanagans direction and story that makes his s--- great. Hopefully picks up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Ordinary Joel and jankland like this.
    Ordinary Joel and jankland like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Oct 7, 2022
    Just started watching Atlanta a few days ago. Hand way through the second season now. Really good show but some really weird differing styles of some episodes.

Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. KING AND I

Oct 8, 2022
    she is the Top 5 best superheroes of all time.

Mar 28, 2024
  12. dna hits

Oct 8, 2022
    That Jeffery Dahmer show. Ended up binge watching the episodes all night.

Mar 28, 2024
  13. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 8, 2022
    you got really into the raping and human eating...nice

Ordinary Joel and BIGFOOT like this.
    Ordinary Joel and BIGFOOT like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Oct 8, 2022
    I need to finish Westworld S4.I don't know what i'm gonna watch after that.

Mar 28, 2024
  15. dna hits

Oct 8, 2022
    If he successfully turned someone into a zombie or slave, then he would have technically succeeded in his science projects, theoretically. Even if it’s evil. Germany are still doing similar experiments.

Judge still isn’t no Sosa or Bonds, he took the L

Mar 28, 2024
  16. Marsh

Oct 8, 2022
    Midnight Mass was boring as f---, didn't even start this one

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 8, 2022
    Midnight Mass was good but the ending was meh

Ordinary Joel, jankland and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel, jankland and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. dna hits

Oct 8, 2022
    Nah it s----d. A weirdo show

Ordinary Joel and Marsh like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Marsh like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 8, 2022
    Nah it wasn't a Pirates game

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Oct 8, 2022
    I liked Midnight Mass but I agree it kinda fizzled out at the end.

I have one episode left of Dahmer. I was pretty skeptical of it because:

1. Netflix doesn't have a great history with true crime docs/shows imo (aside from Mindhunter, which is one of the best things they've ever put out. Bring it back!). I love crime dramas, but there's so much out there these days that it's difficult to find that ones that are actually good and not just trauma p---/exploitation.

2. It's a Ryan Murphy show, who is extremely hit or miss for me. I genuinely love some of the schlocky American Horror Story stuff but my god the bad seasons of that show are just abysmal. Like that season where he had a mainstream dem axe to grind about Hilary Clinton and Trump.

Even tho these are real things that happened I don't wanna spoil it for anyone not familiar with the case, so:

Their attempt at this was far from perfect, but I appreciated how they gave a solid chunk of screen time to the victims and humanized them and explored their lives. So many crime shows focus solely on the killer and leave the victims as just nameless props who seem to only exist to be brutally murdered. I also appreciate that they explored the context surrounding the aftermath of the case and how systemic/government failures both helped create Dahmer and allowed him to keep killing — as well as the sorta metatextual nod at how our serial killer fascination can easily grow from morbid curiosity to exploitation.

Like I said, it's far from perfect, and there were points where the social commentary felt heavyhanded and unconvincing even tho I already agreed with the point they were trying to make. But Evan Peters is so g.d. creepy as Dahmer, and I thought the way they structured the narrative was refreshing. After the first episode I expected it to flash back to be strictly chronological, and I'm glad they didn't go that route.

Anyway all in all (not having seen the last ep), it's certainly a flawed show, but I enjoyed it and appreciated how they tried to stray away from the true crime formula and how they were able to portray Dahmer as so terrifying without resorting to ultra-gory torture p--- like showing him power drilling into someone's brain.

It also raises an interesting nature vs. nurture question like — is it possible to intervene with someone like this using proper medical/mental health care from a young age? Or are they born this way and destined to become a monster no matter what? How much does parental neglect contribute?

Mar 28, 2024