J Cole What does J. Cole have to do to close the gap between him and Kendrick?

Started by The Eclipse, Feb 9, 2015, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Term-X

Term-X relevant.

Mar 3, 2015
    Kendrick's unreleased tracks like 'I Hate You' have better storytelling than Lost Ones, that's without even mentioning the GKMC tracks like SAM/IDOT, TAOPP & BBF.

My Top 10 (in no order):

. Grown Simba
    . I Get Up
    . It Won't Be long
    . Song For The Ville
    . Before I'm Gone
    . Enchanted
    . See World
    . Farewell
    . Lil' Ghetto n-----
    . Show Me Something

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. Section80

Mar 3, 2015
    Nice top ten man, Cole has a lot of good tracks I never really realized how much! But yeah gkmc is just one big story so I guess I didn't really think about it lol

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. Booker12

Mar 17, 2015
    Kendrick has more talent than J. Cole and a stronger discography, but I never have a problem when I hear a J. Cole song come on and any album of his is always my "go to" when I don't know what to listen to.
    I thoroughly enjoy both artists so I don't really waste time comparing them.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Mar 17, 2015
    kendrick is a great rapper. j cole is a middling rapper.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. TSweeze

Mar 18, 2015
    I just got back from his OKC concert and was disappointed. I dont think that Kendrick would EVER put on the type of show I just saw. No energy, a lot of emotion, and relied too much on his female fan base and his off-key singing. He has a super huge ego and trying too hard to be a "voice of the people".

I've been a J Cole fan for a long time and I was looking forward to seeing him perform. I should have expected the show to talk current events and how we should pay attention to things going on in the world. I was wrong expecting a rap concert. There was only about 10-15 mins of decent performance and that was during the medley of hits.

I didn't want to see Cole play a piano and whine for half his set. I get that it's a Tuesday, and this tour specifically was meant to go to small cities that don't get a lot of shows. It was tough to sit through and really short.Instead of hearing his best known songs, he played 30 mins of his new album which barely anybody knew. We are in Oklahoma so it's understandable. I heard "Apparently" "She Knows" and for some reason "Crooked Smile" twice, when instead of playing songs like "Power Trip" "Lights Please" "I Get Up" "Young Simba" "Back to the Topic" "Villematic" in their entirety.

I get why he would want to play it safe and not do some of his stronger songs where he's rapping. Most of his mixtape stuff was done through medleys between rants about how he does this for the people. At the end he ranted for about 15 mins and only was on stage about an hour. To close it out he played "Let Nas Down" and I was let down as a fan. I was excited when I heard he was coming through the city, but I'm glad I got my ticket early and didn't pay more than $40. It was sold out and people were happy, but I wish things would have been different. At least now I know that a Cole show isn't worth making much of an effort to see.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. Head Bussa

Mar 18, 2015
    @TSweeze Seems like there's quite a bit of energy in this performance. And the crowd seems to know the song pretty well...

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  7. TSweeze

Mar 19, 2015
    From that angle it does look so. The venue was smaller and I'm sure it was a different experience up at the front. It doesn't change the fact that half of the show was minimal

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  8. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Mar 19, 2015
    d---. That sucks you had a bad experience. Ive personally seen cole perform 3 times, and i keep wanting to go back. Ive also seen kendrick and a few other major acts and none seem to have come close to cole when it comes to getting the audience involved and just delivering a good live experience period.
    Maybe he's doing something different for the smaller shows, i really dont know. Also, this is a tour for his new album so it makes sense he would perform the majority of his new songs, thats usually how it goes.

Actually the last time I saw him it was at a Houston show where kendrick, cole, and a few others were performing. I went with my cousin who didnt really like cole but stanned kdot. Kendrick closed the show and even my cousin was telling me they should have had cole close it out, just because of the better performance. Hope you see him again and have a better time bro

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. Criza Malone Hamilton

Criza Malone Hamilton Check the birthdate. n*gga you ain't Ric Flair

Mar 19, 2015
    wait what???
    bruh, did you get there late lmao?
    he was onstage for like nearly 2 hours, he didnt play let nas down???????????????
    dawg the liquor probably got to you

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  10. Criza Malone Hamilton

Mar 19, 2015
    im glad i came in here, B this song was lit,this s--- live definitely stamped it as my favortie off the album, it was tied with jan 28th until the show, at the end when the instrumental drops everyone just started jumping like crazy, idk why sweeze is trippin, mustve been like in the very bck or somethinggggg. this show was lit

Head Bussa likes this.
    Head Bussa likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  11. Criza Malone Hamilton

Mar 19, 2015
    :laff: i had to read this s--- twice, dawg for real not trying to diss you but wtf did you listen to? how late were you? he played the whole album with intermission of lights please nobodys perfect in the middle

Head Bussa likes this.
    Head Bussa likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  12. JFK

JFK Bleach on my t-shirt

Mar 19, 2015
    Die

Nav Bhatia likes this.
    Nav Bhatia likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  13. Criza Malone Hamilton

Mar 19, 2015
    back to the thread title though, im liking TPAB more and more but i think with the ppl cole gonna have that jayz appeal in the long run and kdot will be like nas? i never said this but alot of the average listeners dont like tpab cause its different. FHD hit the ppl right away

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  14. Head Bussa

Mar 19, 2015
    That's dope!! Man, I cannot wait till July 30. It'll be my third time seeing Cole live. It'll be a crowd of 20,000 or so...it's gonna be wild.

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  15. Criza Malone Hamilton

Mar 19, 2015
    fam it was a couple hundred, i can imagine that show gonna be even better, take something for omen/cozz/bas to sign, i didn't know they would be there after the show. just got pics with em. but yeah idk if kdot interacts with the fam this much cause i havent got to go to a kdot concert but what ive seen i think cole performs better than kdot, so that gap is closed

Head Bussa likes this.
    Head Bussa likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. Blaza

Mar 19, 2015
    i'm a cole stan by all means. he's been my favorite rapper since '08. however, with that being said, he cannot close the gap between him and kendrick. cole makes amazing music, but realistically, cole could never make an album like TPAB. cole wins in the connection department though. i can relate to cole a lot more than i can relate to kendrick. unless you grew up in the hood with g--- wars all around you, it's hard to relate to kendrick at times. TPAB was more of an album version of Be Free, but with a solution on how to progress. with all that being said, i think cole's impact will be everlasting. he brought back real rap to the mainstream. cole paved the way for artists like kendrick lamar to have success like they have had. cole was sort of the sacrificial lamb. sure, he doesn't have a certified classic album under his belt (FHD is debatable to a lot of people), but he paved the way. cole made the world realize singles don't sell; fanbases do. that's why you have artists like logic and joey bada$$ able to have mainstream success because they have dedicated fanbases. neither had a huge single that blew, but they both did pretty well for their debut albums. so, in the end, can cole catch kendrick in terms of music? no. but the impact cole has had on hip hop is right there with kendrick.

Criza Malone Hamilton likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  17. Nav Bhatia

Nav Bhatia Bitch, be humble

Mar 19, 2015
    The gap will forever be humongous now. :manny:

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  18. M.I.C.

Mar 19, 2015
    only nerds and Kendrick Lamar care about things like this, just listen to the f---ing music

lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  19. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Mar 19, 2015
    Some people care to see their favorite artist succeed. That a crime now?

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  20. M.I.C.

Mar 19, 2015
    What? I'm responding to the title of this thread, which is just the tedious comparing of rappers head to head... has literally nothing to do with caring about seeing your favorite artist succeeding.... are you okay?

This is a concept J. Cole himself hates so why should his fans care

johnny waverock likes this.
    johnny waverock likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024