What to Know in 3.0

Started by Slyk, Nov 11, 2018, in Announcements Add to Reading List

1. Wreckless

Nov 13, 2018
    The initial idea was to add small lines between each thread, not just the stickies, but yea. Doing like you said would definitely help make it easier to read.

Something like this maybe

[​IMG]
    Or

[​IMG]

Just shooting random stuff. It could be anything. A day theme isn't supposed to burn your eyes. I get the modern look, but it doesn't need to be eye blindingly white. I'm sure just a couple of small details could greatly improve it.

DKC likes this.
    DKC likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. gavin

gavin albumdabster.com

Nov 13, 2018

I already fixed all the sites problems, view my above post.

Slyk and Wreckless like this.
    Slyk and Wreckless like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Colonel Mustang

Colonel Mustang it's a terrible day for rain

Nov 14, 2018
    Looks great and is much smoother on my phone than 2.0. Props to Slyk, and I look forward to night mode.

Ordinary Joel and Slyk like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Slyk like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. pluto✰

pluto✰ where the opioids?

Nov 14, 2018
    he’s talking about the attachment button that i mentioned earlier

Slyk and Michael Myers like this.
    Slyk and Michael Myers like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 14, 2018
    Being able to rearrange SXNs on the bar above is ABSOLUTELY crucial/GOAT @Slyk @Loyalty you da gawds :sweatt:

Ordinary Joel, Loyalty and Slyk like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Loyalty and Slyk like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 14, 2018
    @Slyk I do kinda miss being able to feature actual threads rather than just upcoming album threads. I like being able to highlight stuff like @Papa Alpha Andy's Luke Null piece and the Kid Cudi piece @Altereagle416 wrote.

Or for stuff like @Sav Stanfield's new Rate This Album thread, they're doing Get Rich or Die Tryin', so at the very least if there's poppin discussion about an older album we could put an old album (in this case GROD) up as one of those featured albums?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

Nov 14, 2018

I second this

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Rebeliant

Nov 14, 2018

Slyk likes this.
    Slyk likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 14, 2018
    Yeah I cosign this

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Nov 14, 2018
    i agree. that was @Koolo 's call. gonna have to yell at him about that one :emoji_rage:

Mar 28, 2024
  11. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 14, 2018
    I featured new threads pretty much every day and I feel like they’re crucial in helping get threads popping, we should bring it back! Could even be a “featured” tab by the “popular” tab where we could house maybe up to 5 threads that “expire” automatically after three days?

Mar 28, 2024
  12. KPD

KPD I feel incredible, is medicine edible?

Nov 14, 2018
    We getting the app back?

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Nov 14, 2018
    you're..really condescending and uninformed, but i'll address your shitpost nonetheless:
    • your feedback was probably taken into consideration with 2.0 and just decided against. it happens. also worth noting: we adjusted the grayscale post-launch on 2.0 to be darker than it initially was.
    • anyone with a pair of eyes can see that a white/light background is the *standard* across nearly all legitimate websites. as far as the design as a whole, i'm non-sarcastically sincerely sorry that you don't like it.
    • if you really think that the quote is indistinguishable without a different color background and that having the different color, size, & style of font already in place, paired with the red vertical bar isn't enough to distinguish that it's a quote and not part of the rest of the post, then i'm honestly upset with myself for even responding this far to your post.
    • thread view is a valid consideration and is one that came up in the late stages of testing/validation that wasn't able to get addressed prior to launch...that doesn't mean that there's a change in the works yet/if ever, because having a different color background behind the post also doesn't aesthetically work here, but it's something that's been on my radar.
      • it's very likely that a visual differential will be needed with the night theme
    • as far as it being both "blindingly white" and that your eyes "hurt" after typing a single post...i have sever photophobia and i'm unfazed by this. either you're complaining to complain, are simply accustomed to the dark theme, or you should get checked out.

to comment on your next post
    • if you're familiar with what a "responsive" website is, or if you've tested at all, then you'd have recognized that the horizontal lines do exist at a resolution threshold:
    upload_2018-11-14_18-53-35.png
    ... website designs aren't a 1-and-done and there's a lot to consider when doing design as to account for varying devices and resolutions -- what would look good on your television screen won't look good on your desktop and what's good there won't look good on your handheld device. the horizontal bars at a larger threshhold were explored during development and decided against at that time. again, feedback is acknowledged and might get adjusted. have i nailed everything perfectly? probably not, but tbd... ffs it's been 3 days
    • that dark gray you mocked up clashes REALLY poorly with the rest of the design

Zeugma and gavin like this.
    Zeugma and gavin like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. attila

Nov 14, 2018
    How come when I post, it doesn’t show up in the status’s.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Nov 14, 2018
    confused. you're posting in a thread or you're posting a status update?

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. Wreckless

Nov 14, 2018
    Show me one reputable website where their design is as blindingly white as this one? Facebook, Youtube, Reddit, Other Forums? Their base theme might be white, but a lot of the borders, buttons, outlines etc.. add some different colors which makes it easy to read.

There is a reason why people are complaining that this is blinding them and are asking for the night theme to come so bad. And it's not just because they are used to the night theme.

I did notice that their were lines between threads on my phone. It's a bit easier to read on the phone but it's still too white imo. There's something that looks off. The font maybe? The super light grey boxes around peoples post which almost looks white, on a white backround in general make the posts harder to read when browsing a thread.

I know this takes a lot of work and i'm not shi--ing on any of the website's functionality. Some of the new functions are great and the fact that the artist sections is back is awesome, It's strictly on the theme.

The examples I posted above were just quick edits and not meant to be taken literally. I even said a couple times that the gray should probably be done lighter. I was just trying to convey a general idea that a little something more should be added and it could have been done in a thousand different ways.

Anyway, trying to argue any further is pointless. We obviously have 2 very different set of eyes. Do what you do and the nuthuggers on the forum will just say everything is awesome.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. gavin

gavin albumdabster.com

Nov 14, 2018
    People complaining about the littlest s--- ITT, kinda silly.
    Good work @Slyk from a fellow developer, and from someone who made a chrome extension to change the appearance of the theme to grey-scale for myself only, I got the chance to review all of your CSS work, done very professionally and effort filled.

The thing that these people don't realize about web design in 2018 is modern, simple, and sleek are all things that must some how collide and this is not an easy merger between the dynamic, making a website responsive on every platform,while still maintaining that sleek, modern, and simple design is also something that needs to be considered. Being said, your work is done flawlessly in my opinion, I'm a strong advocate for dark themes but even the light theme was done very well, I just simply don't like them so I changed it myself.

Mar 28, 2024
  18. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Nov 14, 2018
    there isn't a *correct* answer, but you apparently seem to think that there is a hard fast rule and that i've wildly crossed it, so here's some of your own examples...to be fair, you probably went blind viewing the sites so it wasn't clear what you were looking at when using them as an example:

youtube:
    upload_2018-11-14_23-46-19.png

classic reddit (still preferred by a ton of reddit users):
    upload_2018-11-14_23-48-38.png

apple:
    upload_2018-11-14_23-50-35.png

Buddha, Kevin and gavin like this.
    Buddha, Kevin and gavin like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Nov 15, 2018
    i truly appreciate that man. thank you.

Buddha and DKC like this.
    Buddha and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Nov 15, 2018
    ...and to say it again so that it doesn't seem like i'm getting on my super defensive: s---'s gonna be living and breathing until i work through the upfront bugs and make tweaks here and there. feedback is still welcomed and if you've been following the 'issues & suggestions' thread, i've got a running list. hard fsat shi--ing over everything isn't so much welcomed though.

Buddha, Jehovah and DKC like this.
    Buddha, Jehovah and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024