Eminem What was Stans reaction on Relapse

Started by The Truth, Sep 6, 2020, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Koke

Sep 8, 2020
    It came out when I was 14 and I had just gotten into Eminem. I remember downloading SSLP, MMLP and TES on pirate bay via bit torrent shortly before I listened to Relapse. At this point I had no clue he was on a hiatus or that he fell off and nearly f---ing died. I was out the loop completely with rap music in general.

Anyway I remember thinking it was absolute s--- apart from the McNulty skit at the beginning (goat skit), My Mom and Beautiful. I basically went from TES to Relapse skipping everything else (apart from When I'm Gone which I loved) it's safe to say I was like what the f--- is this.. Even as a kid who barely knew anything about rap music I could tell that he was nowhere near the rapper of his first 3 albums.

I think I listened to the whole album for like a month trying to love it but just couldn't get over the accents or content. Fast forward a year - Forever, Airplanes and Not Afraid drop and I start stanning again. When he dropped Recovery I thought he was definitely "back" and loved it.

Then from 2011-2018 it was disappointment after disappointment. My Stan days ended in 2013 when he released MMLP2, at that point I was like nah he's washed. I have no clue how he managed to pull off decent efforts with Kami and MTBMB after all these years.

copius inhaled farts likes this.
    copius inhaled farts likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. StanMitchell

Sep 9, 2020
    Relapse was my first Eminem album, and I fell in love at first sight. It's only in hindsight that I can understand how Stans predating that era could be turned off at best and haters at worst. It marks a large stylistic change for Em and was his return when people thought he would never come back. I understand how you not vibe with this project, but it'll always hold a special place for me. Plus I was jazzed over the website and phone number you could call at the time.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024