What's Stanfield Been Bumping? (TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2021 SO FAR)

Started by Sav Stanfield, Oct 3, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Oct 6, 2020
    Good looks Sav! This is great :wow2:

Ricky and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Ricky and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Oct 7, 2020
    Weekday b-----r:

18Veno - Cops & Robbers ft. PG RA

There's legions of incredibly talented emcees coming out the Carolinas right now. DaBaby and JetsonMade may have brought the Carolina's to the mainstream, but it wont be long before new challengers for the crown emerge. 18veno and Neeko might just be the duo to do it, once they've settled more comfortably into their own sound and style. Veno's not even 20 yet but already raps with the ferocity of a vet, and sounds hungry on everything he touches. His (first? second?) mixtape Pablo dropped just 2 weeks ago and is the perfect showcase of his and Neeko's gifts, this one over a haunting piano-driven instrumental complete with that crunchy, focused aggression and energy that DaBaby and Jetson do so well.

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Sav Stanfield

Oct 7, 2020
    Holy s---, thats such an accurate comparison, I never thought of that! Definitely some Boosie in Dugg's sound. I've also never heard of Kee'vin before but I liked what he was doing on this, I'd be interested to hear more.

Ordinary Joel and Zeugma like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Sav Stanfield

Oct 7, 2020
    give the album a listen! I think you might like it.

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Oct 8, 2020
    Weekday b-----r:

MC Eiht - Honcho ft. Conway the Machine & DJ Premier

Eiht and Premo linked up for a full length album back in 2017. I don't remember much of it, just that it didn't really grab my attention. The vets link up again, this time with Griselda kingpin Conway thrown in the mix and the results this time round are electrifying. Conway - as he has been all year - is in particularly savage form: "fifty clip in every stick I carry.... I'm a VISIONARY"

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Oct 8, 2020
    My favorite song off the new MC Eiht album

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

Oct 9, 2020
    Weekday b-----r:

Travis Scott - Niagra Falls ft. 21 Savage

Unpopular opinion (?): ASTROWORLD was f---ing great. Take out all the hype and Sicko Mode memes and its a beautifully orchestrated, cohesive piece of work that highlights Travis' best tendencies and mutes or at least minimizes his worst. Niagara Falls is supposedly an Astroworld leftover (or an early UTOPIA cut?) that premiered this week on .WAV radio with Travis lamenting the lavish life in a typically moody lullaby-like melody. Travis & Savage is always a good combination, the 2 complement each other well. (side note: not sure where this whistling trend came from, but I'm not complaining).

Fire Squad, Chrollo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. JXY

JXY

Oct 9, 2020
    @Sav Stanfield have you listened to Flee Lord? The guy released like 10 albums this year lol. I found him pretty interesting on the Frank Murphy (awesome song title btw) track from Westside Gunn.

Pray For Evil is a short and sweet album with great production that uses samples/beats we've heard in hip-hop before but it's pretty fresh.

Also has an album with Pete Rock

A little bit of a Sticky Fingaz vibe.

Still need to check out some of the stuff you posted here..

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

Oct 10, 2020
    Yeah Flee is nice man. I can't claim to have listened to all his stuff but I do check out the occasional project or feature. Both Pray for Evil 1 & 2 were great, The one he dropped a few weeks ago was also cool. You're right about the Sticky comparison, he also rminds me a of the dudes from Non-Phixion. I'd love to hear a Flee x Muggs collab. That Pete Rock one looks interesting, I need to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation!

JXY and Ordinary Joel like this.
    JXY and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. Sav Stanfield

Oct 10, 2020
    Artist spotlight:

30 Deep Grimmeyy

"We ain't been hot since Nelly n'em," 30 Deep Grimeyy accuralety reflects on the NLE Choppa collab off his debut album Grimeyy 2 Society, which dropped back in July of this year. That's about where the similarities with Nelly end. Grimmeyy sounds more like he comes outta Choppa's neck of the woods, with a vicious, measured grimey (sorry) flow that punctuates every beat in the instrumental.

I haven't heard much of Grimeyy outside of this album, but he first got his claim to fame in collaboration with fellow St Louis 6-2 East Coast Crip, NWM Cee Murdaa on the collab project Splash Brothers, which dropped late last year. NoCap - the project's anchor point and opening track, was the result of Grimeyy and Cee Murdaa linking up for the first time over a beat they found on YouTube.

The collab album is amateruishly put together but clearly shows the potential. Grimeyy's much bigger budget solo album however, is a huge step forward. It's split almost exactly in half: the first portion stuffed to the brim with violent, gun-toting bangers, and the second - perhaps more interesting half - turns down the intensity, as Grimeyy starts spilling on his heart. Bando for example, is one of the most traumatic, Polo G-esuqe songs on the album, where the chest-thumping of the earlier songs of the album come back to haunt him. Maxo Kream drops in for a verse of his own reflecting on the recent death of his own brother "phone call to my mother had to tell her that somebody killed my brother was the hardest thing / up at night could hardly sleep". This in direct contrast to the Drill Lessons Grimeyy drops on us earlier on, ticking off the ways to slide as methodically as Teejayx6 will instruct you on how to scam. On another album highlight Loose Screws, Grimeyy links up with Atlanta and Detroit's (Baby and Helluva, respectively) finest for another mega-number-ofyoutube-views smash that could only happen in 2020.

Grimeyy's come-up is so typical of 2020. A kid uploads a video on Youtube over a stolen beat; overnight fame and fortune. I'm looking forward to seeing what Grimeyy does next. The future of St. Louis looks bright.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Oct 10, 2020
    THIS IS PERFECT

Mar 28, 2024
  12. JEB

JEB

Oct 10, 2020
    Your avy lmao

Mar 28, 2024
  13. Sav Stanfield

Oct 11, 2020
    SUNDAY HAGOVER EDITION VOL. II: October 9th DROPS

Boldy James - Manger on McNichols

If there’s one thing I hate about streaming its the f---ing music that isn’t available on streaming services. I am so glad this album made it though, I can’t believe I’ve been missing out. The Price of Tea in China was fantastic (still one of the AOTYs) and even though I did like the latest Griselda-backed project, it didn’t remain in rotation for very long before getting lost in the mix. This is something else though. From the moment Medusa hits the speakers, you're in Sterling Toles' world of a jazzy, funky, soundscape that is at time outright insanity, at others so mellow and smooth, while Boldy’s voice melts into these instrumentals like butter on bread and the result is such an intense listen, its hard to absorb it all at once. I definitely need to give this another few solid listens but can safely say its exceeded my expectations.

Jay Electronica - Act II: Patents of Nobility (The Turn)
    I still don’t know what to think of this. How to take it all in without the 10 years of context weighing it down so heavily. Its good. Its really good in parts, its d----near immaculate in others. Sometimes it just doesn’t make any sense, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that its clearly still unfinished. Could it have been the genre-defining classic it was meant to be? I don’t know, too soon to say, too many questions surrounding it. Glad it finally got to see the light of day though. I can’t count how many times I’ve listened to the previously leaked Better in Tune (previously Better in Tune with the Infinite), but I’m sticking with my initial take that its one of the most haunting and emotional pieces of music I’ve ever heard.
    No idea how to embed a Tidal link but here it is

REASON - New Beginnings
    Its been about 3 years now since Reason first showed up as the latest proud member of the ever-expanding TDE roster. His hype-building tape/pre-debut project There You Have It, was re-released on Top Dawg in 2018 and showed a lot of promise. It was also clear why he was signed to Top Dawg, a label that has always maintained a certain sound and style that Reason fit with well. He’s dropping teaser singles ever since, some hits, some misses. And even though its clear Reason isn’t exactly of the same caliber as Kendrick, Q, Zay he has at least been active while his label mates all but seem to have disappeared. New Beginnings is the big TDE debut and its pretty good. Its not the disaster it was shaping up to be at one point, but its no Cilvia Demo either. Reason wears his heart on sleeve, has a respectable pen game and a dream team of features and producers backing him up. Needs more time to settle but its sounding good.

Blocboy JB - FATBOY
    A few slaps (and one fantastic music video) but Blocboy is very quickly disappearing into the waves of more talented and more interesting Memphis emcees for me. I don’t know, maybe it’ll grow on me with a few more listens.

Papoose - Endangered Species
    Papoose? In 2020???? Usually I wouldn’t take the time. But I recently stumbled across Boxcutter, an amazingly well-crafted, modern sounding 2000's throwback over an irresistible piano sample and a measured but fiery performance that somehow got me listening to the full album, which, sure, is full of Papoosisms that will have you rolling your eyes, but there’s an intensity, focus and self awareness (“grew up on Biggie and Kim / ever since I was a young’n my mamma dressed me in Timbs”) on this album that is admirable af. The rest of the album follows suit, its surprisingly well-produced and at the end of it all I’m left wondering where it all went wrong for this dude.

SINGLES ROUND-UP

Co-Cash - K.R.E.A.M. Free$tyle

This is the Memphis I like. I would k--- for a Savage Mode-like collaboration project between Co-Cash and Tay Keith, they complement each other so perfectly.

King Von - I Am What I Am ft. Fivio Foreign

Two drill capitals connect. King Von is the direct descendent of Herbo, Chief Keef, Durk, etc. His project from earlier this year was a but one-dimensional but he’s coming more into his own with each single he drops, and his next is shaping up to be great. I could listen to Von rap about how much he hates snitches all day.

Benny the Butcher - Timeless ft. Lil Wayne & Big Sean

Jesus, Weezy’s been on a killing spree recently. Same goes Benny. s---, even Sean’s been on fire recently. Somehow this one doesn’t really come together as I’d hoped though. Is it the instrumental? Or just a collaboration that sounds good on paper but doesn’t really pan out.

Juicy J - Load It Up ft. NLE Choppa

The Hustle Continues. I’m looking very forward to it, especially after this.

SAINt JHN - Gorgeous

I’m calling it, this man is gonna be a superstar.

Travis Scott - Franchise (Remix) ft. Young Thug, M.I.A. & Future

Still not so sure about this song.... Its not bad and it is cool to hear M.I.A. come out to play again but not sure where Travis is going with this. The addition of Future is a huge boost though, the man's feature game has been the stuff of legend this year.

Anderson .Paak - JEWELZ

Andy's last few singles have been hit or miss. This one's got a nice vibe though, I fw it.

Rah Swish - Rush Hour, Pt. 3

Pop Smoke's right-hand man comes through with another slap to add to his growing collection.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    icecube, Ordinary Joel, JXY and 3 others like this.
    icecube, Ordinary Joel, JXY and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Oct 11, 2020
    Thanks I came here for papoosism

Mar 28, 2024
  15. Sav Stanfield

Oct 11, 2020
    Still can't believe I'm actually enjoying this album. That Human Body song is insane. Although I did burst out laughing when the DJ screams 'I CANT WAIT TIL YOU GET TO THE IMMUNE SYSTEM'

Ordinary Joel and Ricky like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Ricky like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. JXY

JXY

Oct 11, 2020
    Nice, more Boldy James!

Benny's album is apparently coming next week and produced by Hit-Boy. I loved the Hit-Boy track on Conway's album so this is fun. I just skimmed the single since the full album will be available soon but it sounded really nice.

And wow, looks like I'm actually about press play on a Papoose album.

Great write up as usual, thanks.

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Sav Stanfield

Oct 12, 2020
    WEEKDAY b-----r

DCG Brothers - Mmhmm

MMHMM. Detroit, NY, Oakland, etc. have blasted into the stratosphere this year, but don't count Chicago out either. DCG Brothers (along with Heavy Steppers) bring a new excitement to the windy city with their energetic back-and-forths that strays outside of the usual Chiraq drill/'conscious rap' (god I hate that term) of Saba etc.. Plus this music video is just great.

Chrollo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Chrollo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Sav Stanfield

Oct 13, 2020
    WEEKDAY b-----r

Glockboyz Teejaee & OnFully - Wack Jumper ft. The Godfather & BandGang Lonnie Bandz

aaaaand we're back in Detroit for one of my favorite songs of the year so far. When you hear that E-E-E-EENERGY MADE THIS ONE you know its gonna be heat. And that violin on this one is just molten lava.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Sav Stanfield

Oct 14, 2020
    WEEKDAY b-----r:

Pa Salieu - My Family ft. BackRoad Gee

HYPNOTIC music video. And that flute melody! I'm not familiar with Pa Salieu's music but this has definitley got me checking out for his name.

Fire Squad, Chrollo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. Sav Stanfield

Oct 18, 2020
    Woah, this was a STACKED week. Haven’t listened to it all yet, but these are initial thoughts on everything that what I’ve heard so far:

Black Thought - Streams of Thought 3: Cane & Able
    The viral 2018 10 minute Funk Flex freestyle, followed by two solid solo EPs and a handful of show-stealing guest appearances have bought renewed attention the lyrical behemoth that is Tariq Trotter, but Thought’s been a beast since The Roots first started putting on for Illadelph in the early 90s. That lyrical prowess is a gift and a curse though and SoT3 makes that painfully evident. There some big highlights here - most notably when Thought has a guest’s energy to bounce off of, but there are moments on here (Nature of the Beast) that make me feel like I’m listening to Eminem syllable cramming for the sake of it. Disappointed tbh.

Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof
    Another incredibly gifted emcee, this time teaming up with the go-to-producer of the year, Hit-Boy. On first impressions I don’t think this has come off as well as the Nas album, and I don’t think its beating out Tana Talk 3 for the best Benny album, nor FKTAG for best Griselda album of the year, but still a decent listen . One Way Flight, War Paint and Legend are the big standouts for me so far.

T.I. - The L.I.B.R.A.
    Need more time for this to sink but on first few listens this is good. Great even. Its too long and has some unnecessary filler but Tip hasn’t sounded this alive and engaged in years. T.I. albums often feel overloaded with unnecessary features but holy s---, almost everyone on here killed it (Killer Mike especially)

Gucci Mane & The New 1017 - So Icy g---, Vol. 1
    I’m writing a little something else for this. Coming soon…

Singles:

IDK - King Alfred

I’ll admit it, I’m a huge IDK fan. His full-length albums don’t always work out, but when he lets himself loose on his EPs and singles he’s one of the best and most exciting rappers in the game right now. Its the energy, the weird, sing-songy flows and punchlines and sneaky interpolations that make every song he drops sound like a major event. This ones no exception.

Kanye West - Nah Nah Nah

Kanye sounds unhinged on this, I love it. But difficult to imagine this being anything other than a random loosie.

Rio da Yung OG - 1v1 ft. Lil Yachty

Say what you will about Boat’s solo music but ever since linking up with Tee Grizzley back in 2017, his feature game has been immaculate. This one's yet another top notch D-to-the-A collab, this time around with Rio da Yung OG.

Young Nudy - Never

Sli’merre remains Nudy's opus, but Anyways, which dropped earlier this isn’t far behind. It seems like another one’s on the way soon - this is the second single he’s released in the last few weeks - and by far the stronger of the two.

D Smoke - Rapture

D Smoke has my attention. The bilingual Inglewood emcee has been building a strong momentum this year, starting off with his debut album, then following it up with a collab single with his TDE affiliated cousin SiR. Always a bit on the overly serious side, but this song hits.

Pop Smoke - Iced Out Audemars (Remix) ft. Lil Wayne

Pop’s music has a whole new dimension for me nowadays. There’s that inevitable adrenaline rush, but there’s also a wave of sadness. I don’t think I’ll ever get over the lost potential. Iced Out Audemars was one of the stronger cuts from the lacklustre deluxe edition of s---t for the Stars, this remix featuring yet another blistering verse from Wayne

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024