What's Stanfield Been Bumping? (TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2021 SO FAR)

Started by Sav Stanfield, Oct 3, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Jan 9, 2021
    A few recent holiday season standouts

Pooh Sheisty - Back in Blood ft. Lil Durk

I love being right about s---. I’m sure Gucci does too. This song has been gaining a lot of traction in the past few weeks and after Foogiano’s excellent debut he dropped a few months back, I’m looking extremely forward to seeing what Pooh brings on his debut tape, supposedly dropping soon.

Morray - QUICKSAND

Say what you will about J. Cole but he’s building one h--- of a label/collective under Dreamville. Morray is the latest Dreamville signee, after blowing up with this truly beautiful song. Looking forward to hearing more.

DUSTY LOCANE - Rolando (Caught in the Rain)

Posted about Dusty Locane (who is apparently Pop Smoke’s blood cousin) a while back after I stumbled across this song on Twitter. Yes, it sounds like a carbon copy, but s---, it sounds f---ing good. That ghostly sample sounds like something Great John would produce for Sheff or Sleepy. Would love to see Dusty evolve his own sound more, there’s huge potential here.

EBK Young Joc - Jokes Up ft. Bris & Armani de Paul

I don’t know much about EBK, other than a few singles that have popped up on Thizzler. This one stuck out to me, featuring the recently deceased Bris (RIP). That instrumental is so infectious.

Lil Eazzyy - Onna Come Up

Another up and comer out of Chicago - this song being the opener to his debut mixtape Underrated which is just as good throughout.

YBN Almighty Jay - Bring Out the Hoochies

The least interesting member of YBN comes through with what might be his best song yet. I mean he rhymes ‘hoochies’ with ‘blue cheese’, so you know its fire.

Lil Loaded - 6acc Doe

I wrote about Lil Loaded a while back, following the release of his second mixtape - A Demon in 6lue. He’s followed that up with a quick EP - CRIPTAPE, which wasn’t as strong but featured this big highlight.

Sada Baby - Black Harlow

Best for last. I hate the fact that so much of Sada's s--- isn't on streaming services..... This man is a BEAST.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Jan 14, 2021
    Xanman - You Got Servin

I fukin love Xanman. He raps like a deranged crack addict running at you with a broken beer bottle. Like Ski Mask before him, Xan jumps on the Missy/Timbo train with so many quotables its almost impossible to digest in its 1:56 run time

Mar 29, 2024
  3. Sav Stanfield

Jan 30, 2021
    Alright, time to revive this mfer. Song of the day is back!

Day 1: Big Moochie Grape - Anthony Davis

January's been slow but there's been a handful of ridiculously exciting new prospects cropping up all over the place. Memphis rapper Big Moochie Grape dropped his debut tape - Eat or Get Ate - early last year on Young Dolph's Paper Route imprint, complete with gigantic, 3:00am shut-the-club-down BandPlay production and rapidfire, crunchy Memphisian flows. It went below the radar and was completely outshined by Key Glock's stellar year but Moochie hasn't given up just yet. His latest single features one of Bandplay's best instrumentals yet as he channels his inner Gucci Mane and just lets rip for 3 minutes straight. Watch this space, Moochie's on the come up

Mar 29, 2024
  4. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 30, 2021
    This is dope, fun song!

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Jan 31, 2021
    Day 2: Dee Aura - You Wish

It's simple, but there's something incredibly mournful about Yellow Tape Boyz member Dee Aura's You Wish, as he hops in the foreign as goes too fast over a screwed up Giveon sample.

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Jan 31, 2021
    Yooo this is phenomenal. That beat is something else

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 31, 2021
    It's so basic and nothing really special, yet so effective. Laid back as h--- , liking it a lot

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 31, 2021
    Talk about basic and simple yet dope, I was looking on YT for that big moochie guy and found this @Sav Stanfield

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

Jan 31, 2021
    d--- this is dope, havent heard this before. Bandplay's one of my favorite producers working right now. He killed it on Moochie's tape from last year too

Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Sav Stanfield

Feb 1, 2021
    Day 3: The Colleagues - Gimme the Loot ft. Freddie Gibbs

Freddie Gibbs is entering that elite stage of rapping few have ever achieved. Like Wayne in 07. Like Hov describing sniffer dogs getting sick. f--- that, he is elite. He's just f---ing around here, not even saying anything but the natural gift, the feeling that he was born to rap shines through just as it did on Alfredo. He's got the Midas touch right now and shows no signs of slowing down.

AvB, Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    AvB, Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. AvB

AvB

Feb 1, 2021
    Have you heard this bonus track off the Alfredo vinyl ? would love a longer version or even sounds like it could have been an amazing intro

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Sav Stanfield

Feb 1, 2021
    Was gonna post this but wanted to wait til a better quality version/full version of it dropped. Even as it is its amazing

Ordinary Joel and AvB like this.
    Ordinary Joel and AvB like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. Sav Stanfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Day 4: YN Jay - Ninja Land

For those that aren't familiar, YN Jay is one of what seems like legions pouring out of the Flint/Detroit scene in the past 24 months or so who drops an insane amount of music and who alongside Bfb da Packman is one of the funniest, most vulgar and wierdest rappers I've ever heard. I love how he just break out into growls and screeches moans mid-bar, if only to emphasise the dumbest, horniest s--- he can think of. Its incredible. Last years' Coochie Land was one thing but Jay takes the ridiculousness to entirely new levels on his first tape of 2021 (likely the first of many), Ninja Land. The closing title track, and its accompanying video pretty much sums it all perfectly.

Michael Myers and Chrollo like this.
    Michael Myers and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Sav Stanfield

Feb 3, 2021
    Day 5: Pharaoh Monch & Th1rtt3n - Triskaidekaphobia

Big standout off legend Pharaoh Monch's latest album with rock trio Th1rt3en. I'm not sure how I feel about the album overall - I mean, its not Rebirth bad, but I dont think it landed in the way Monch intended it to. Triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13) is one of a handful of big highlights though as Monch reminds us all why he's still one of the greatest to ever hold the mic, without the overwrought drums and guitars and rock cliches that plague the rest of the album.

Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Sav Stanfield

Feb 4, 2021
    THROWBACK THURSDAY
    Day 6: 2Pac - Only God Can Judge Me ft. Rappin 4-Tay

Describing Pac as a 'ghetto poet' is a cliche beyond cliches, but d--- it if it ain't true. This has always been one of my absolute favorite songs in 2Pac's discography, as he recounts the infamous shooting that almost killed him two years prior. Dripping in paranoia as he recounts nightmares of walking through cemeteries, talking to the dirt, waking up tangled in the sheets of his hospital bed and the frustration and rage that comes of it. Even with the tinge of of hope that there's a heaven for thugs, its still f--- the world. Wrapped in that thick, Funky Wormish, Bay meets LA instrumental (not to mention an oustanding guest verse from Rappin 4-Tay), it might just be the quintessential Pac song.

AvB, icecube, Chrollo and 1 other person like this.
    AvB, icecube, Chrollo and 1 other person like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Sav Stanfield

Feb 5, 2021
    Day 7: Bizzy Banks - I Feel Like Dying

I like Bizzy's GMTO debut he dropped last year, but outside of a handful of songs wasn't feeling as sure as many others seemed to, that he was doing enough to differentiate himself from others in the same lane. His first 2 singles of 2021 are piquing my interest though. The first, Bandemic, which samples Junior Reid and now the latest, with that infamous same sample Wayne deconstructed 15 years ago.

Mar 29, 2024
  17. Sav Stanfield

Mar 28, 2021
    AND WE BACK IN BIDNESS

Hopefully for longer than a week this time. 2021 has been slow. 3 months in and barely anything noteworthy has dropped yet. Mainstream-wise, that is. But there has been plenty of exciting stuff bubbling beneath the surface.

Take 2020 (or was it 2019?) freshman Calboy, for example who's been sporadically dropping hit or miss projects and singles since his initial rise to fame with the release of 2018's Envy Me. It looks like he's come though with another one in 2021, with a loose Lauryn Hill interpolation and Wayne feature for added effect. It works, to maximum sorrowful, melodic Windy-City effect that has become so incredibly popular these past few years. Beautiful song.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Sav Stanfield

Mar 29, 2021
    Crazy eyes, crazy dreads, sunshine-soaked drawls and an instrumental that is both threatening and playful at the same time. This is Florida. This is Sniper g---. In the age of constant saturation its weird to suddenly have Kodak back in our speakers on a regular basis. Not that I'm complaining, i've missed the dude. Hotboii, Trapland Pat and SpotemGotem are all great but there'll always only be one Kodak.

Ordinary Joel, DKC and Chrollo like this.
    Ordinary Joel, DKC and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Sav Stanfield

Mar 30, 2021
    Every time I listen to anything related to Dolph I get Jeezy's immortal words echoing in my head - "OH GOD WHY HE GO HARD??"

Dolph is a f---ing human earthquake. Surely a top 3 voice in rap right now? I've Dum and Dummer 2 on repeat since Friday and Dolph might be the Richter-scale smasher but Glock ain't too far behind. I need to revisit the first edition again but I think this one might even have the edge. Also, somebody stop Bandplay, the man has been a walking human inferno for like 5 years now.

Mar 29, 2024
  20. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 30, 2021
    What u see is what u get and Rain Rain got me floating. The production on this tape is amazing and like you said: Dolph's voice HITS

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 29, 2024