Working from home

Started by Michael Myers, Feb 13, 2021, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 17, 2021
    No matter what app, I hate all of them. Some might work better, sure. But at work I'll always prefer physical meetings. Teams etc is so awkward and u cant see people's body language, quicky respond , or 'read the room'. Its a decent alternative but when possible I always have meetings at the office. Depending how many people (corona wise) of course.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 17, 2021
    I love slack because it actually works/is useful and you can bs with your coworkers and share songs/links/etc throughout the day. Teams is just clunky and s-----y like virtually all MS programs besides word/excel/powerpoint lol.

Obviously physical meetings are way better for things that actually matter—but in my last job I was in a leadership role for the copy dept. on a website that basically operated like a newspaper in that there was a fuckload of new stuff that needed to be published on the site every day that kept changing and being reorganized down to the last few hrs before it went live. I inherited all these pointless meetings that only served to waste my time so I eliminated the unnecessary ones. I also had to communicate with our office in a different timezone throughout the day so an IM program was necessary.

Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Feb 17, 2021
    lol I'm the service owner for Teams for my company. My days are filled with complaints

Apr 26, 2024
  4. lil uzi vert stan

Feb 18, 2021
    not to invalidate anyone's experience, but mine is slightly diff. in my line of work, especially when i was in boston, its all about grinding, else ppl think ur a p----. in before daylight, out after sundown kind of things. even in dc, you work hard play hard, meaning ur out late often. so, WOH has rly transformed my quality of life . instead of waking up, immediately showering, putting on suit and sprinting for the train, now i can go for a run, make a REAL breakfast, structure my mornings so i am more accomplished and healthier. (in addition to not drinking booze or buying out as much, this has been a game changer, save money etc.) so i rly like the chance to prioritize my day a little better, not feel like i MUST be the first one in to show off or w/e. takes the pressure off and lets me in actual practice be more productive

Ordinary Joel, DKC and Worm like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Feb 18, 2021
    yeah I get this...it also totally depends on where/who you live with. I live in a 1BR apt right now. I was on the phone with a colleague who was saying how much she loved working from home, which was a big house with a big backyard and pool. AND she would take trips to her "vacation house" in Florida to work. I would probably have a different opinion on working from home if that was me

Apr 26, 2024
  6. lil uzi vert stan

Feb 18, 2021
    oh ya my wife was just saying to me, if we still lived in our 1br in boston, or even our dc rowhouse, we'd probably go insane. (we also have a wild yellow lab lol). so having space is key ur right. timing has def worked out on that front.

Apr 26, 2024