Drake 21 Savage says Drake deserves more credit for introducing new artists

Started by Poohdini, Jun 27, 2018, in Drake Add to Reading List

1. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jun 27, 2018
    [​IMG]
    21 Savage is a very convincing man. His deadpan delivery and menacing production pair to make him one of hip-hop’s coldest orators, and in his newest interview with GQ, Savage used his power to shout out Drake’s benevolence.

“Drake just a genuine-a--- good-hearted person,” he said of Drake, “The Co-Sign God.”“He did a lot of s--- he didn’t have to do. He do a lot of s--- for up-and-coming rappers, period. I don’t think he get his respect for that. Every f---in’ year, he pull a new artist up. Ain’t no other artist on his level do that s---.”

21 Savage is not wrong. In just the past couple years, Drake has been instrumental in bringing Skepta to US markets, uplifting Jorja Smith, helping give Lil Baby his biggest mainstream look, launching BlocBoy JB’s career, and more. A$AP Rocky would probably agree, too, as he's credited Drake for putting him on and funding his creative pursuits.

Many might hold the opinion that these co-signs simply work to boost Drake's own profile and credibility with younger artists in an attempt to "ride the wave" of hype, but more often than not it's the artists themselves—like 21 or A$AP—assuring us that Drake's intentions are not selfish ones.

Drake has helped goes on, and the greater truth is not simply that Drakeis a generous rapper sharing the spotlight, but that he is a model for how artists can use their platforms to help music evolve.

Too often we hear of rappers, Joey Bada$$ for instance, claim that hip-hop is dying. While it’s easy to shout about problems into the void of Twitter, more artists should follow Drake’s lead and put on the types of artists and sounds they believe in to help hip-hop grow. This goes for the local level, too—if you’re an artist and you see other acts you believe in, support each other. One co-sign can change someone’s life forever.
    https://djbooth.net/features/2018-06-27-drake-21-savage-deserves-credit-introducing-new-artists

Ordinary Joel, Enigma and Big Mitch like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enigma and Big Mitch like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Jun 27, 2018
    I think he deserves some credit for putting them on to a lot of the fans of more mainstream music but I also feel like a lot of these rappers are the ones he bites off of. Although not so much recently.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. common lisp

Jun 27, 2018
    that's true, the one thing you can't hate Drake on. The fact that he also benefits from putting other artists up in one way or another doesn't take away from what he does.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024