Cat vomiting due to new dry food?

Started by kira, Jun 21, 2022, in Life Add to Reading List

1. kira

kira Banned

Jun 21, 2022
    So yesterday my cat vomited a lot of food up when I wasn’t there to see what happened of course.

There was lots of undigested dry food and other food. I figured out later that I think it was Zena because he had gone into the studio to sleep and did not seem to be feeling good. Then he later came in and sat on a chair and he started vomiting again more mostly just white liquid now although there was one vomit I also did not see on a mat in the garage with color liquid.

I am worried because I don’t know if this is due to the dry food that I have started giving them. I bought some of the turkey chicken flavor fussiecat dry food which came a few days ago and I’ve just been giving them tiny amounts gradually added into their normal diet. So far it has seemed like it was OK but one kitty may have been getting a little bit of soft stool. I am not sure who that was. But that seems to have stopped.

I also noticed that there was a big dead bug on the floor- one of those bugs that looks like a spider but it’s not and they jump around a lot- I forgot the name for them. So I’m wondering if maybe he ate that bug or part of it and that is what made him vomit?

I didn’t feed anybody for about 12 hours at least after to give them a break and today I have not given them any dry food yet. They are eating their canned fussiecat and canned weruva, a high quality grain free chicken and tuna for a while with no problems.

It is time to make another batch of the home cooked but I’m not going to be able to do that today because it takes a few hours with de boning the chicken thighs etc. and I am doing training for a job which I cannot delay, it all has to be done in certain period of time and it’s a lot of work.

Last time I made their home cooked they were so hungry that I gave them little pieces of raw- they liked it and didn’t seem to have a problem. I’m wondering if I should try switching them to raw instead but I am worried it is going to cause more problems. Plus I don’t know how I’m going to store it- I would have to divide it into small portions and freeze it all- usually I just freeze the cooked food in larger dishes and leave some in the fridge for eating. I don’t have enough small dishes for three separate portions and I don’t think there would be enough room even for medium size dishes of what I make to freeze most of them. I usually make about 10- 12 pounds per batch of the food.

There was no vomiting from the raw as far as I know which was about three weeks ago maybe, however I’m wondering if that could’ve upset his tummy?

There is only one other time I have seen Zena vomit- it was last week when I woke up, he was in my bedroom - he just spat up a tiny little bit of liquid and that was it.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

Jun 21, 2022
    @kira

My cat had a phase of throwing up daily after eating & spent thousands on constant veterinary visits & procedures like blood tests & so on, to no avail, they were absolutely useless but I finally got to the bottom of it, it was so simple.

It’s due to some cats having a sensitive stomach & you have to slowly wean them off & onto new foods, taking slow additions of the new food to the current food to allow their stomachs to adapt without significant change, but even then, sometimes they just don’t like that particular food so you try another one & repeat the steps until they’re comfortable & you are too. Mine can only eat Orijen dry food after trialing so many other options of mostly wet food. As far as treats, can only have a couple of bitesize treats a day & a slice of ham without throwing up. It’s taken awhile to get to this point tho.

I’d recommend focusing on 1 type of food right now, get them on it for a few days without throwing up so their stomachs can recover & then start to very slowly add whatever else is needed, but if a cat is showing signs of sensitivity, sometimes they may only be able to accept 1 type of food for meals.

If it continues, try the vets.

Sign Language, Ordinary Joel and JEB like this.
    Sign Language, Ordinary Joel and JEB like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. virginia0806

virginia0806 Banned

Jun 25, 2022
    it really scares when your cat starts vomiting for no reason, but in fact there can be many, I read the whole article about it https://www.catfoodpoint.com/cat-vomiting-throwing-up-undigested-food/, turned out that my cat had hairballs in stomach,so I started using dietary supplements for my cat.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. TerenceMil

TerenceMil Banned

Jun 29, 2022
    I know the problem. That's why I give my cats supps from time to time too

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Inanna

Jul 21, 2022
    I added kitty grass to my cats diet, seems to be working for settling their tummies

good luck

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. kira

kira Banned

Oct 5, 2022
    We found a solution finally. Cats do not need dry food - in fact, the vast majority do better with a wet food based diet as recommended by https://rankingdiva.com/10-best-cat-food-in-2022/ .

One part of my girl's issue may simply be that she's eating too fast. It's pretty common for cats to vomit if they bolt their food. A slow-feeder bowl might well help matters, or you could try a puzzle feeder.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Step Daddy

Oct 5, 2022
    Have you tried stroking it's anus?

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Evad

Evad Balls

Oct 5, 2022
    [​IMG]

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Kalamont

Kalamont Banned

Nov 8, 2023
    It can be concerning when our furry friends have digestive issues. It's possible that the new dry food might not agree with him, or it could be something else entirely. One suggestion could be to continue with their canned food for now, as it seems to be going well, and maybe try reintroducing the dry food in smaller amounts, later on, to see if it causes any issues. Also, keeping an eye out for bugs or anything unusual they might have eaten is a good idea. As far as I know, the Rag dolls cat breed is very sensitive to food. Regarding raw food, it can be a healthy option, but transitioning to it should be done gradually to avoid digestive upset. If you decide to explore that route, there are many resources online that can guide you through the process.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    0 0
    Mar 28, 2024