EDDIE KANE APPRECIATION -- Is second Eddie Kane verse Q's best on album/OAT?

Started by Big Dangerous, Jul 12, 2016, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Jul 12, 2016
    So I'm sitting here enjoying this dope af album that I've waited years to come out (shouts out to TDE and Q, get Top on the phone have mercy yall) and I keep finding myself fixated on this little half/dual song that is the companion piece with the Jada feature track. This record I'm speaking of is Eddie Kane. The song all over has this euphoric production and distinct mood of course and is one of the most memorable and unique tracks on the album. The whole track, hook and instrumental is fantastic but I wanna focus on the words on this one. Q's lyrics are nice.

I get this feeling it is overlooked because it's smashed up against a single that we probably already all overplayed, ya know?

So I figured I would draw attention to it, get some kind words out about my love for the track with a thread

According to Rap Genius (good research I know), Eddie Kane was apparently a character from the film The Five Heartbeats where he was a singer in a group of the same name who becomes famous and wealthy then falls out into drug abuse only to later ascend from his troubles. Almost a parallel to Q's life story, and definitely a nice outline for this track though.

Notice, in the first verse he mentions all sorts of vices that drive him (much like the aforementioned Eddie Kane) down a bad road. He mentions having a new woman and spending 100k on a new ride, and he's flushing down weed to hide it from the police while he's also strapped. It's a bad situation tbh.

Now more precisely let's bring attention to the second verse.

Listen cats, I feel like this possibly one of the dopest verses on the album and maybe dopest I've heard from Q. His emotion is vivid throughout and track has some dope lines in there too, some nice little anecdotes and such. This track has literally every aspect of Q's game in one verse. On top of that this is literally Q redeeming himself, this Eddie Kane -esque character, and coming out on top in the end.

Some examples of my fav parts

"My cigar full of cabbage
    Came from tHe dirt to tHe carrots"

Simple line at first, gardening connection dirt with cabbage.

Nice little weed analogy where cabbage is in his cigar but BOOM, now he has cabbage (money) when he came from dirt (bottom, poverty) to carrots (grown vegetable, good for you, CARATS like gold, riches) very nice double entendre here.

"So f--- you mister TeacHer
    Cause tHe paper I ace it
    Lead tHey tried to erase it"

The connections roll in again, Q doesn't get enough credit as a writer. Q cussing his teacher, cause he aces his paper(his test) while getting ace paper cause he's a popular rapper and personality now adays. They try to erase his lead (that he took the test with/used in class?), which is also saying they're trying to erase or dispose of his work, his rap, his lyrics and imagery of LEAD, guns and bullets.

The ferocity that Q delivers this line and especially the lines following are some of the hardest hitting on the album. Fantastic stuff there.

"And to my uncle tHat f----- up the family
    THat s--- tHat you was smokin'
    I was pusHin', residue lie on tHe cushion
    I'mma blame it on your a--- cause I ain't gettin' wHoopins
    And your proof is in tHe puddin"

Check this out. Q talking about his uncle again, nice little irony here that he's (now presumably telling him for the first time in context of the song/character) telling his uncle and everyone else involved that all that time when the drugs were being used in the house, Q was out dealin em. So when time came around and they found it on the couch, it wasn't Q gettin the whoopins cause it was blamed on his uncle. Notice the residue LIE on the CUSHION, he blamed his uncle (lying to his mother you can assume) and so used him as a cushion. Just terrific writing. Very nice sort-of backhanded compliment here too where he's thanking his uncle for being the fall guy.

and finally this line is just badass and current with the generation so it's one of my favorite on the album

"g--- bangin, dope slangin
    GTAin, s---t the wHole club up
    f--- tryna sneak the K in"

10/10? 10/10 absolutely love this track

What do you guys think?

Apr 25, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Jul 12, 2016
    tldr; Eddie Kane is an awesome song, the second verse is best on the album now discuss your love for the song here in this thread

Groovy Tony and joeyp363 like this.
    Groovy Tony and joeyp363 like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. joeyp363

Jul 12, 2016
    Great post my friend I love it. I definitely think it can be argued his best verse and IMO is the best verse/song on the album since it dropped. The production is also top notch with that beat switch. I went and listened to the album while reading the lyrics and wow there are some powerful songs on this album. Plus the beautiful music videos/stories also tell a great story and are superbly done. All in all you can tell this wasn't some album just thrown together to push out sales quickly. This is a well crafted peice of art with Eddie Kane being the pinnacle

Groovy Tony and Big Dangerous like this.
    Groovy Tony and Big Dangerous like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Jul 12, 2016
    Nice post I agree with everything here

joeyp363 likes this.
    joeyp363 likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024