Hip Hop From France

Started by 33Tours, Aug 10, 2018, in Music Add to Reading List

1. 33Tours

Aug 10, 2018
    Hey guys, I've been on S80 for a year as a member and a few more as a guest and i've never really posted here until I saw recently that the forum's activity was decreasing.
    As most of you are Hip-Hop heads I think it could be a good idea to showcase artists that I never see here, starting with rappers from my country that are not really relevant internationally due to language barriers. I still think that this can be changed since hip hop is more of a global feeling, creating a mood throughout songs. I deeply think that lyrics are not the only thing you need to put your attention on and you can bump any rap songs in any languages.
    To start this kind of thread, I wanna talk about a french rapper called Jazzy Bazz.

Jazzy Bazz started in rap with his childhood friend in a duo called Cool Connexion with whom he created the "Grande Ville" crew, bringing rappers and hip hop actors from the 19th arrondissement of Paris together. He also joined another crew, l'Entourage, who members became relevant after they started to be the main attraction at the recently created Rap Contenders in 2010. He joined for the second edition but did not make a huge impression even though his battle was mainly appreciated. He went back for the 3rd edition and started making a name of himself after memorable battles. Shorty after he released his first E.P: Sur la route du 3.14, generally acclaimed amongst fans of his crew and underground rap fans for his old school style that brings you high in the sky. Here are a few sounds that I think represent well the atmosphere in his E.P:

Before releasing an album with his crew l'Entourage called Jeunes Entrepreneurs, Jazzy won the 5th edition of the Rap Contenders and established himself as a full-time rapper. However, he struggled getting back to rhyming and didn't anything for months. The motivation emerging from the collective got him back on track and they released their album on May 2014:

(he starts around 1:20)

(he's doing the hook)

(he starts around 2:30)

During the 2 years following the hype generated around l'Entourage, some of the members released their own solo albums (the most notorious being Nekfeu in 2015 with "Feu"), and Jazzy Bazz as well. In order to do that, he went to New York, to start writing songs and recording some of them as well. Not everything is yet finished and the whole album will be mastered and mixed with his fist collective, Grand Ville. In 2016, he decides to release "P-Town", both referencing Paris as well as the number π (3.14) and thus his first EP.
    The city of Paris is mainly what inspired him as most of the songs reference it and the themas as well:
    Fluctuat Nec Mergitur (Paris' motto)

Ultras Parisiens (where he remembers about PSG "hooligans")

P-Town

Some others notable songs on this album:
    --> hard punchlines and nice angry flow
    --> another kind of Jazzy Bazz that he developed recently, where his writing schemes and lyrics in general makes the song kinda sexy from my perspective.
    --> Featuring Freddie Gibbs, one of his biggest influence in Hip-Hop, sounds pretty cool

Since then, we haven't heard that much of him except for a single at the end of 2016.
    However, on june 20th of this year, he released this clip, announcing his new album:

--> the song is full of punchlines with a darker flow than what we got used to

And three weeks after he released the second single:
    --> this one is more in the style of "Trompes de Fallopes" from his precedent album and is more catchy and mainstream than what he used to do but is still very enjoyable.

Voila! It's my first thread on this subject so it's not an in-depth and fully developed background story about this rapper, but I hope you guys will enjoy discovering something new, and maybe like it!

Oldboy likes this.
    Oldboy likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  2. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Aug 10, 2018
    Hello Jazzy

33Tours likes this.
    33Tours likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  3. 33Tours

Aug 10, 2018
    You liked anything off the tracks I posted ?
    He's on his way to make his best album imo and i'm pretty excited!

Oldboy likes this.
    Oldboy likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  4. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Aug 10, 2018
    pretty good idea and thread that will sadly go unnoticed :emoji_slight_frown:

time for some polish rap @Guma

Guma and 33Tours like this.
    Guma and 33Tours like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  5. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Aug 10, 2018
    wtffff guma didnt login in a month

Guma likes this.
    Guma likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  6. 33Tours

Aug 10, 2018
    Yeah that's what I thought about when I was writing this.. I still did it cause bringing diversity and new topics will never harm anyone

I still hope this can be a weekly thing where we showcase artists from a particular country or something like that

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  7. Guma

Guma Dobry ruski, martwy ruski

Sep 30, 2018
    I needed some detoxing.

Oldboy likes this.
    Oldboy likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024