Kendrick Lamar How Kendrick Lamar’s Unreleased “Uncle Bobby Pt. Two” Became Vic Mensa’s “Hollywood LA”

Started by Ordinary Joel, Jul 19, 2017, in Kendrick Lamar Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jul 19, 2017
    http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2017-07-18-kendrick-lamar-vic-mensa-hollywood-la

By Andy James | 12 hours ago

"It didn’t make the album, so it never came out."

[​IMG]

Yesterday, I published my Beat Break interview with Cam O’bi, the super talented producer behind Chance The Rapper’s “Cocoa Butter Kisses,” Isaiah Rashad’s “Free Lunch,” SZA’s “Doves In the Wind” and so many more amazing songs.

One thing I learned about Cam from our three-hour conversation—aside from the fact he’s a very friendly guy who doesn't mind giving three hours of his time to a rap blogger—is that a bunch of songs he’s produced originally had other homes: Vic Mensa’s “Orange Soda” was for Chance The Rapper, Isaiah Rashad’s “Free Lunch” was for J. Cole and Bas, and Noname’s “Shadow Man” began as a collaboration between Cole and EarthGang.

One particularly interesting nugget I couldn’t find a place for in my Beat Break piece, though, was how Vic Mensa’s “Hollywood LA,” which Cam produced with TDE’s Tae Beast back in 2012, was originally intended for Kendrick Lamar. What’s more, K. Dot even recorded a sequel to “Uncle Bobby & Jason Keaton,” off 2009’s Kendrick Lamar EP, to the beat.

I’ll let Cam tell the story:

Kendrick Lamar over the "Hollywood LA" beat? That would've been as automatic as an uncontested Steph Curry three (or even contested, for that matter). With Vic, it's fair to say the beat ultimately found a good home, though.

Ricky likes this.
    Ricky likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. OwI

OwI I was riding on a bike on a very late night

Jul 19, 2017
    What a waste! f--- Vic

83837477 and Ricky like this.
    83837477 and Ricky like this.
    Apr 20, 2024