Eminem If Eminem were to channel a younger Eminem going forward, which Eminem would it be?

Started by deluxe wife, Mar 7, 2018, in Eminem Add to Reading List

Which Marshall u want?

1. Slim Shady (battle raps, offensive comedic storytelling)

12.5%
  2. MMLP/Devil's Night (angry, combative, f--- the world attitude)

45.0%
  3. TES/Encore minus trolling (raw, emotional, confessional, inspiring)

25.0%
  4. Gangster Em (simplified delivery, sung hooks, brag raps n guns)

10.0%
  5. Conceptual (not necessarily jamaican serial killer, but some other character)

7.5%
  6. Other (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deluxe wife

deluxe wife talkin bout bugsnax

Mar 7, 2018
    We more or less know he doesn't have it in him to really carve out a new identity or take a fresh approach going forward. Since Recovery, his identity has for the most part plateaud. Recovered pill addict white trash middle aged man who likes to say fa---- and has a penchant (obsession?) for rhyming quite well. Prior to this stabilization or stripping of personas, different iterations of Eminem were extremely noticeable and caught one's eye much better.

This might be an oddball opinion, but I think that in a future project, some evolution of gangster Em would be really fun if executed properly. At least the better parts that worked, such as sung hooks a la Drama Setter, How Come, and the confidence exuded in those really smooth flows where he talked so much s---. And stepping back from the rappity rap would maybe make people vibe with it a little bit more. In the Recovery era we got that excellent hook on Talk to Me, so he should still be able to execute this. Mix in modern trap-influenced production from established artists and a host of good, younger features from rappers and he may still be able to feign being washed up for just a little longer.

I think that lane would be more easily and realistically executed than trying to channel Slim Shady, simply because I don't think he is poetically quite creative enough anymore. MMLP Em was also a product of its time, I don't think that kind of attitude and angst can be replicated. Post-Recovery Em is debatably an extension of TES "persona", that is to say, mostly his true self. So I would say that is what we have been getting from him since 2010 and we're pretty burnt out, but maybe there is a counter-argument to that.

As for a concept character, I think it -could- work but again I don't place much stock in his creativity. That said, all of this is probably too little too late, and I doubt anything going forward will be substantially different from what we've been getting. This thread is just for fun.

Side note: realizing I've just spent 10 minutes basically writing Eminem fan fiction on the coattails of Revival is really sobering me up to the fact that I need to do something with my life.

Discuss?

JEB likes this.
    JEB likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. RetiredAccount

RetiredAccount Big Time Stuntin Like My Daddy

Mar 7, 2018
    While this thread really dumb I think the dumbest thing was saying relapse was a Jamaican serial killer. Bruh half Scottish half Arabian hence “bagpipes from bagdhad”

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Mar 7, 2018
    Gay thread u bald kunt

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Mar 7, 2018
    Virgin

Broccoli Tree likes this.
    Broccoli Tree likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. RetiredAccount

RetiredAccount Big Time Stuntin Like My Daddy

Mar 7, 2018
    Edgy. You were much better as buff.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  6. Ids5621

Ids5621 R.I.P D12

Mar 7, 2018
    Gangster em doesn't necessarily mean simplified delivery. You could make an argument that it was starting on TES, with soldier and soldier compromises nothing in terms of complexity. Top 10 song imo

And I'd want more crazy storytelling and crazy visuals like sslp. I find funny creative imagery much more impressive and entertaining than puns and double entendre wordplay bs

ISUcyclones likes this.
    ISUcyclones likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  7. Nirket

Mar 7, 2018
    Eminem it's a great story teller, so a conceptual album can the best route to take, not interpreting a serial killer, but trying to tell a story, like if he were writing a book. Since the beginning till the end it has to tell us a story that we could relate to it (like the B-Rabbit's songs in the 8 Mile Soundtrack, Lose Yourself is the prove that it can be huge) If he takes that route then he shouldn't do songs that doesn't fit with the main concept. I think concept albums could be really interesting, see Kendrick Lamar with "d---" aside his other projects it tells a story from the start till the end and from the end till the start.

deluxe wife likes this.
    deluxe wife likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  8. The Box

Mar 7, 2018
    Slim Shady.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  9. reesey

reesey What You Looking At This For?

Mar 7, 2018
    Why would a middle aged man rap about that kind of stuff anymore

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. Sahil Kohli

Mar 7, 2018
    I don't think Slim Shady would work now. s--- will look as if he's looking to gain his relevance.
    He can go gangsta route. Give him some hard a--- trap beats and let him flow like Chloraseptic remix, with nothing just pure bars. Little to no old subject matter, no fake a--- Relationship songs, just barss. Like he was doing in h--- The Sequel.

Buddha and deluxe wife like this.
    Buddha and deluxe wife like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. volvo

Mar 7, 2018
    I don't care, as long as the rapping is good. I couldn't care less about certain things "not suiting his age". People who think you shouldn't rap about this or that because you're "too old" are nothing but c----.

If I had to choose, though, I'd just like for him to be an entertainer. An entertainer who comments on the stuff he sees. He could creatively get his point across, be it through satire or anything else. It's always good to see someone creatively getting their point across, and I think it's be very interesting to see Eminem do so. Alternatively, he could be a storyteller. He's great at that.

Sahil Kohli, deluxe wife and The Box like this.
    Sahil Kohli, deluxe wife and The Box like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  12. deluxe wife

deluxe wife talkin bout bugsnax

Mar 7, 2018
    I have scene kid hair

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024