Kanye West Jazzy Jeff Reveals Secret Will Smith Verse for Kanye West’s ‘Clique’: “It Was Huge”

Started by Ordinary Joel, Oct 10, 2015, in Kanye West Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Oct 10, 2015
    Article Source: Radio.com - http://radio.com/2015/10/09/jazzy-jeff-secret-will-smith-verse-kanye-west-clique/

By E. Parker
    October 9, 2015 12:19 PM

I'm like, 'Wait, you wrote an incredible verse off of a really popular song!'

[​IMG]
    Will Smith (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the the artist formerly known as the Fresh Prince, Will Smith, are on track to record new music and hit the road to spread fun and freshness to the world. But while fans await the new tracks, Jeff recently spoke about a Will verse that never saw the light of day.

“Will did a verse off of [Kanye West‘s] ‘Clique’ when it first came out,” Jeff told Rolling Stone in a recent interview. “He rapped it for me and it was huge. And I looked at him and said, ‘Why didn’t you put that out?’ And he just looked at me. I’m like, ‘Wait, you wrote an incredible verse off of a really popular song. That is what they do! Just drop it!’ But he just sat on it.”

Despite the missed opportunity, fans of Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince will have a chance to hear more music from the duo soon. Smith told Zane Lowe earlier this week that the duo has plans to record new music and go on a world tour.

“Will’s been recording,” Jeff said, before going on to explain how technology makes the process more convenient. “One of the conversations that we had was just talking about jumping. You gotta jump. If Jaden [Smith] goes into the studio and he hears something hot, he records it and puts it out in 24 hours. And from the perspectives of Will and myself, you’re like, “What?” I said, “You know what? Just drop it.” And he kept saying, “What does ‘drop it’ look like?”

While Jeff didn’t give a specific timeline, he was clear that he and Will are on the same page when it comes to making more music.

“I want to just start recording to get him back into this space that there are no rules anymore! Every time we do an impromptu show, he’s like, ‘Man, we can go out and we should go out.’ And I’m like, ‘I’m already out. I’m waiting for you!'”

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Oct 10, 2015
    I want to hear that Clique verse. :saad:

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024