Eminem Michael Myers Honest Revival TBT Review

Started by Michael Myers, Dec 14, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 14, 2017
    Wow. So I just finished my 2nd full listen. Let me first say that I really wanted to like this album, and Untouchable and Walk On Water had me somewhat excited I would. This rollout was messy and as we hear the album non of it makes any sense at all, but it was fun experiencing it with some of you on here.

Alright, let's go.

Walk On Water ft. Beyonce

The albums 'lead' single. Or not? After hearing the rest of the album I like and hate it more now. I like it more, because, well, it is better than the majority of it and his 'rapping' on here is less terrible. On the other hand I hate it more. On this song Eminem pointed out that he is fully aware of all the criticism, giving us examples, self awareness.. but he doesn't do s--- about it? Then what is the actual point of the song? I'm really confused why he made this song for this album, but like I said it's one of the better songs on this project to me. 8/10

Believe

'Started from the bottom like a snowman' really? Luckily this kinda weird opening line doesn't affect the rest of it. This is Eminem showing confidende, but also rapping really good. He talks about his past, how he made it. But he also talks about his haters again. Instead of doing that with whiny lines he actually raps good on here. The hook is also really enjoyable imo.
    And I don't know but this beat is dope af. Honestly I love this song 8/10

Chloraseptic (Ft. Phresher)

So Eminem wants to do a modern day song too huh. First of all, I really hate that hook. Sorry. Other than that its just Eminem rapping mostly about gibberish again, with some cool oneliners mixed with s-----y lines. This is miles ahead of the last time he tried this (No Favors) but it's not like this song is great either. It's okay. 6/10

Untouchable

Like Walk On Water, sadly this is also one of the better songs now. The intro = goat. First 2 verses I kinda dislike the rock s--- but his flow is definintely.... good for once. The beat switch is cool and I love that second beat. First 2 minutes of that is cool and the content overal is great, but the last minute or so he starts to use that weird stop/go flow again. Why? Overal decent song with an actual topic. 7/10

Love The Way You Lie Part 3.. A.K.A River (Ft. Ed Sheeran)

Like people said on here, Ed Sheerans hook is really good. Now I don't hate this song as much as some of you, it's a decent little pop song. However this subject is getting f---ing boring from Eminem and I already know there are more songs like this on here. Such a waste of a good hook, but I dunno I don't hate it. Actually, I don't think Eminems flow/delivery on here is that bad either. I know I'm just saying this because it will get worse on this album, but I can see this one growing on me. 6.5/10

Remind Me

Corny as f--- lol. Don't need to see the credits that this is a Rubin song. Like the song thats sampled but on here it sucks and gets ruined. This is supposed to be a funny song I guess, kinda like So Far.. but honestly I would pick So Far over this. This does have some semi decent/funny lines but I'm not interested in listening to it again right now. 3/10

Like Home (Ft. Alicia Keys)

Poor Alicia. Also this beat is so f---ing weird. It sounds like a Happy Christmas song while its meant to be a serious song about America/Trump. Really confusing. Alicia does her thing and Eminem does rap some decent stuff on here, but the more we get into the song it gets harder to listen to him.. he starts to rap for the sake of rapping again while this is not the type of song to do that. But yeah, I feel like this exactly how I feel about River. Kinda okay with many flaws. 6.5/10

Bad Husband (ft. X Ambassadors)

Another d--- relationship song. This beat is really bad lol its annoying. Also the chorus sucks. Worst thing is that Eminem actually raps decent on here, for the first 2 verses. But that's not enough to make me want to listen to this trash ever again. 4/10

Tragic Endings (Ft. Skylar Grey)

ANOTHER ONE. f--- you Eminem and your relationship songs. This song is a great description of the album actually. This is clearly a Recovery leftover. But I dunno I started to appreciate Recovery more lately and his voice on here actually makes me happier than his current. Also he flows really good here (which wasn't the problem on Recovery so). This would have been bottom tier on a good album, but sadly to me it's one of the songs I enjoy. 7/10

Framed

Hello Relapse! I miss you right now. Awesome beat, serial killer content, nice flow. Can't say any more about this I kinda li it no matter how corny it is (especially the chorus lol). 6/10

Nowhere Fast (ft. Kehlani)

I really hoped a girl with such a nice voice would end up on a better song. Man, even Good Life is a decent little pop song and its from her and G f---ing Eazy. Her chorus here is nice though. This beat f---ing sucks though and at this point this is easily the worst rapping from Eminem I have heard on this album. Stop & go, weird a--- rappity rap, all we don't want to hear. Dumbass motivational s--- again. 4/10

Heat

Guilty pleassure. Another So Far.. type of song but I really like the vibe on this. Also even though its not funny coming from a near 50 year old man, I kinda like some of the stuff he says on here. Also the chorus is kinda catchy to me. I can't objectively defend this song but yeah it's okay to me. 6/10

Offended

What the f--- is this? Rappity rap,s--- beat, Right For Me level bad. 2/10

Needed Me Ft. Pink

Wow and you guys thought Revenge was bad. Revenge is a classic compared to this bs. Its really a Pink song featuring a terrible Eminem verse (he sounds so... weird?) and this beat ugh. 2/10

In Your Head

I really don't like the song that was sampele so I already hate the chorus. Beat is okay and Eminem raps camly on here, which is a good thing. He doesn't s--- on here even though the delivery starts to go downhill on the second verse. HAILEY, LADIES.. yeah no. 6/10

Castle

Welcome to Revival's Deja Vu! A great song on a not so good album. No, I don't think its as good as DV. It reminds me more of Going Through Changes. However, I love it. Beat is great, chorus is nice and Eminem is briljant on here. Probably another track from the vault. 9/10

Arose

Headlights level. Such a great concept, execution okay. Definitely a highlight yet its kind of a chore to listen to. He really tried to ge that When Im Gone vibe here. Semi worked. 7.5/10

So like I said, there will be a couple of songs I rated 6 or so that might grow on me. There are also songs that I will never bother listening to again. Average score is 5.7 based on this but I don't think the album deserves an above average TBH. If I had to give the album as a whole a score I would say 4.5/5-10. MMLP2 is absolutely better than this and even the highs on that album are better. This is all over the place and doesnt have a theme at all. Like I said before it dropped, Probably a few songs I wille enjoy and the rest is going in to the trash pretty soon. So thanks Eminem for a few enjoyable songs.

@Big Dangerous etc. thoughts?

Groovy Tony, odd, n9ne and 6 others like this.
    Groovy Tony, odd, n9ne and 6 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Dec 14, 2017
    Greet review @Michael Myers , I like the tracks you like (rated 7.5 and above) and disliked everything else

The Righr For Me comparison for Offended is spot on. They're just alike, both awkward syllable crunching rappity rap awful tracks. Two of worst songs Em has ever made.

I will say, I dislike the bad songs a little bit more than you. I give the album a 3/10 overall a very bad attempt at music

Michael Myers likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. Krazee D

Dec 14, 2017
    Great review...my Changes would be that some of your average rated songs, I’d rate lower. Oh and I like In Your Head better then you do. Probably because I thought the Zombie song was good back in the day.

Apr 25, 2024
  4. Ids5621

Ids5621 R.I.P D12

Dec 14, 2017
    I think I agree with alot of your points, but 6-7 ratings on alot of these feel obscenely high

Michael Myers and Mraczewsky like this.
    Michael Myers and Mraczewsky like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. Zach

Dec 14, 2017
    I think you missed the point of bad husband, it’s a reflective song of himself and Kim sort of like headlights was with his mom. It’s not just any relationship song like the others, although I can agree adding the other ones was pointless. I liked bad husband though, but you only really understand it if you’ve been an em Stan for awhile.

Groovy Tony and Michael Myers like this.
    Groovy Tony and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 14, 2017
    Yeah honestly I don't hate poppy songs thats probably why I rated Tragic Endings, River and Like Home not so low. They are so painfully average but not THAT bad imo.

Kinda the same as I said to BD. And yeah In Your Head is fine its more personal that I don't like the sample I guess.

See above. But yeah. I also gave them a 6 because they might grow on me.

Well yeah its not just Bad Husband. Maybe its not as bad as the others its just a combination of how I don't like it and the fact that it has so many other relationship songs.

All in all the album is below average but some are too harsh on it. It has some okay ish songs and some nice ones.

Believe, Castle >>>>

n9ne likes this.
    n9ne likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  7. Zeugma

Zeugma thugger thugger my brother

Dec 14, 2017
    this album is untolerably lazy

WoW 3/10
    Believe 6/10
    Chloraseptic 2.5/10
    Untouchable 4/10
    River 3/10
    Remind Me 1/10
    Like Home 0/10
    Bad Husband 1.5/10
    Tragic Endings 2/10
    Framed 6/10
    Nowhere Fast 0/10
    LHeat 1/10
    Offended 1/10
    Need Me 0/10
    In Your Head 0/10
    Castle 7/10
    Arose 6/10

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Apr 25, 2024
  8. Macca

Macca @

Dec 14, 2017
    My man.
    I understand I may have reached too much in the heat of the moment by saying it is the best since TES, but the importance of this album as well as the variation of styles is supreme.
    I want a full album of Trapeminem, Believe style songs would be a b-----r record

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 14, 2017
    Maybe a little harsh on some songs but 100% agree with it being lazy as f---

Zeugma likes this.
    Zeugma likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  10. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 14, 2017
    As I mentioned in the review the 6/10's are growin on me for sure

odd likes this.
    odd likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  11. Groovy Tony

Groovy Tony Grandma's baby Eddie Kane