Eminem Modern Eminem is the most interesting BAD rapper of all time

Started by Zeugma, Dec 17, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Zeugma

Zeugma thugger thugger my brother

Dec 17, 2017
    The respective strenghts and flaws of each post-hiatus album are so different and original that in my opinion it really makes modern Em more interesting to discuss than the 99-03 genius, effortless Eminem. He's unique. Relapse, Recovery and MMLP2/Shady XV/Revival are like three different (and really weird) rappers exploring the same topics and the same legacy. Encore was just Eminem doing terribly the same things he was great at during his prime - this is something else each time. Plus he constantly explores, with crushing lucidity, the mistakes he's made in the last record (Not Afraid, Bad Guy, Walk on Water...), and constantly fails at delivering a really good album to follow. The guy is like a funny, cringe-worthy but touching version of Sisyphe forever pushing the rock.
    I think we should talk more about how interestingly bad these albums are, instead of quickly saying how awful they sometimes sound. I'm thankful for the hugely flawed albums he's put out since TES tbh and I hope he tragically continues to tarnish his legacy by trying to save it!
    By the way hasn't there been any american book/artistic study about modern Eminem?

(Pardon my poor English, and I hope to create some discussion!)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    NAES likes this.
    NAES likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Zeugma

Dec 17, 2017
    well my thread flopped harder than Revival!

Like Home, Immy and Oldboy like this.
    Like Home, Immy and Oldboy like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Macca

Macca @

Dec 17, 2017
    not cool, Smegma

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Zeugma

Dec 17, 2017
    I don't get the pun!

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Macca

Macca @

Dec 17, 2017
    You want to make a study on musical taste, then you should not focus on the artist based on your opinion but on the audience - it is the audience who determines if an artist is good or not, and many people love his post hiatus albums so it would be a biased study overall.

CSA likes this.
    CSA likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Zeugma

Dec 17, 2017
    Oh maybe I shouldn't have used the word "study" if you think a study has to be objective, but I don't think the audience alone determines what's good and what's bad, a critic could write a subjective book that partially goes against what most people feel. I'd even add that it should be one possible and important role for critics to change the public's perception and comprehension about a piece of art.

Macca likes this.
    Macca likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. CSA

CSA Architect

Dec 17, 2017
    Actually, his every album is pretty good to me. That's because Em reached to me like no other artist have done yet in his prime. Yet he still does it from time to time because I almost feel like I know the guy in person. I guess that's what happens when u are soo personal on records...

Encore had some really stupid stuff that I never listen but I laughed at those back in the days. I don't really care. Some of u guys take music so seriously but I can see where those stupid tracks coming from. h---, I even sometimes sing some very stupid s--- changing the words of very famous songs etc. It's just fun. Weird to put out album with tracks like those and s--- but still. Btw some high points of that album definitely makes it up for those anyway. As a huge fan of Em, it always means a lot when he says something compared to other artists. So his personal songs and stuff like that are a lot relatable and beautiful to me.

Relapse had those accents but other than that it was kinda good. I never had a problem with serial killer tune. It's like watching Dexter or smh. It's just fun.

Recovery had those very generic pop hooks and too much of a shouting I remember hating at first.That was probably the only album of Em I listened to first thru physical copy and I didnt listen to it for weeks again. The sound was so poppy and the production was soo noisy. Em was always shouting etc. I felt like it's not Eminem rapping. I was so stuck at the prime Eminem work at the time. But after sometime I started like it for what it is. Last time I listened to a month ago, I thought it was better than I remembered.

MMLP2 kinda felt great after Recovery because it didn't have the constant shouting and s---. Production was more simple compared to Recovery. I thought it was a classic. Maybe it is but definitely nowhere near in the level of first 3.

So each and every album, I like them.

Calling Em a bad rapper is funny. His rapping is definitely better than most of the rappers. He can flow thousands of different types, he can rhyme anything, he has tons of wordplays and punchlines etc whether u like it or not. And he definitely one of the best when it comes to painting pics and telling stories, connecting with people and making u feel the whole emotion.. He is still the best in that to me (Castle & Arose are the proof)

Don Marshall likes this.
    Don Marshall likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024