Eminem My Drunken Theory On This Eminem Situation

Started by Wreckless, Dec 4, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Wreckless

Dec 4, 2017
    You know when you're so obsessed with something and you do it all day, whether it be music, drawing or whatever. Let's say you're working on a project. Sometimes you're so focused on it that you come to a point where you get lost and don't know if it's actually good or not.

Sometimes the first idea you had might have been genius but after going over it and analyzing it hundreds of times you decide to change it to something else and often times the end product is not really good.

I think that's the problem with EM.

It's often a good thing to take a step back to clear your mind, listen to different opinions and get inspired by new things. No one can really excel in something if they're just obsessed by it and don't have a certain balance.

It's like playing a videogame for hours. Let's say you're stuck on a level and can't beat the d--- thing. You've been at it for hours, you're getting tired and you keep failing. Then finally you decide to drop it.

2 lays later, you're relaxed, you pick up that game again and guess what, you beat that level on the first try.

Maybe not the best analogy, but basically when you're too devoted to something and obsess on it, things don't come as naturally as they would if you come in with a clear mind.

dester23, kodo, shadyslim555 and 3 others like this.
    dester23, kodo, shadyslim555 and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Wreckless

Dec 4, 2017
    Also add the fact that the only input or opinion EM gets are from a bunch of yes men.

h--- i'm sure even the occasional artists/rappers he collabs with outside his camp don't have the nerve to critique anything he does.

All of this explains the decline in the quality of his music.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    shadyslim555 likes this.
    shadyslim555 likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. PaulRosentits

Dec 4, 2017
    This reminds of what dre talks about happening with detox

Apr 25, 2024
  4. Phantom_Snake

Dec 4, 2017
    Eminem comes off as a very competitive person as is all the greats in any of their respective fields. But if I was to try to pinpoint Eminems biggest flaw in the last 5 years is he's put to much emphasis on being the best rhymer rather than being the best rapper.

Franch46, NAES, fezzer and 3 others like this.
    Franch46, NAES, fezzer and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. ryan1uk

Dec 4, 2017
    Drunken theories can usually be the most insightful.
    I do agree with this. Sometimes you see an article and it mentions how much of a lab rat Eminem or even Dre is. Being in the studio literally all the time surely dampens creativity. At some point, that environment would get very tedious, becoming desensitised to what's good or bad.
    One thing that we cannot even begin to comprehend, is the damaging effect of fame. When Eminem made his earlier albums, he was still relatively connected to the real world, had already built up a lifetime of ideas to that point and had a blank canvas to paint on. He was new to us. The world was also such a different place. I think with the Internet, the people of today are more disposable with their entertainment. Even if a great song came by now, people would listen to it a dozen times and move on. Nothing is sacred anymore.
    I remember having a cassette tape of the SSLP and when the MMLP album came out, I bought it and absolutely cherished it. I cherished it more because I didn't have all these avenues of medium to access entertainment. An album in the late 90s and early 2000s had so much more value because I didn't have the Internet, no YouTube or on-demand services.
    I believe that in this day and age it is increasingly harder to create something of lasting value. It's like the Compton album, it came and went. The same will happen with Revival. Of course, nothing would give me greater joy than for the album to be absolutely amazing. But even if it was, would it be appreciated in the way that pre-Internet generations appreciated entertainment?
    When it comes to creativity, as I said, we should really try to picture and understand the trappings of fame. Eminem literally cannot leave his home and walk into a public domain without either being mobbed for an autograph or selfie, or an obsessive fan. It must be torturous to be famous to that level where you cannot enter into the real world. How can you expect the man's creativity levels to be at the same standard as his first three albums when his entire existence is like The Truman Show. Where can he get his ideas from if he is not amongst regular surroundings? It is impossible to stay in touch with current trends and what the next generation of people are feeling and thinking. Of course, Eminem can watch the TV or use the Internet to keep in touch with reality, but it's not actually the same as walking down the street and stacking ideas from the grimy world that inhabits us all. Eminem is in a bubble now. A fish tank. I think it's a d--- shame that he can't live as a regular civilian. The consequence of being absolutely gifted at something is fame. The ultimate torture in a way as it isolates and creates a claustrophobic conduit of travelling with minders and hangers-on.
    I think Eminem and Dre spending longer and longer in the studio is a consequence of fame. What else can they do? But the music studio is not the most inspiring place if you're there all the time. I also think there is part of it where they force themselves to keep working on music, and that is where when Eminem says 'he always feels like he is hitting the mark, but then listens to it in the car and says it's garbage.' That's almost certainly a consequence of too many hours in the studio, making yourself sick with the process.
    I do feel really sad for Em as you can see that he is trying everything to motivate himself and recapture what he is capable of. But circumstances change. He is older, has painted the canvas over and over, and it's not easy to try and capture an audience in the same way as 17 years ago.
    But if anyone is capable of lighting up a fire once more, then it's Marshall Bruce Mathers the III.
    Roll on Revival!

Apr 25, 2024
  6. Lucy

Lucy #1

Dec 4, 2017
    could you please give an example of this occurring in the real world?

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  7. Lucy

Lucy #1

Dec 4, 2017
    nobody is reading all this

Apr 25, 2024
  8. debauch

Dec 4, 2017
    Sorta makes his point tbh (TLDR generation)

Evad likes this.
    Evad likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 4, 2017
    This happens to me almost everyday in my work.

I think almost anyone who does any kind of art can relate to this.

Petabread likes this.
    Petabread likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  10. Lucy

Lucy #1

Dec 4, 2017
    what was his point? i'm not sitting here for 10 minutes reading about the same rehashed eminem s--- in the biggest paragraph i've ever f---ing seen in my life to find out

what do you do for work?

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  11. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 4, 2017
    Web and UI/X Designer.

shadyslim555 likes this.
    shadyslim555 likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  12. Lucy

Lucy #1

Dec 4, 2017
    mm yeah deff cause of the length. nothing to do with the content being repeate dhere everyday and the actual post having no structure and being the longest paragraph ever posted here.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  13. Lucy

Lucy #1

Dec 4, 2017
    I can see it, but how do you quantify it? like, how do you know for sure your original was better?
    Understandably if someone higher up requested you to do certain things the outcome may vary. I just don't know how you would know for sure the original idea was better.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  14. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 4, 2017
    Most of the time it's just my own judgement when I look back in hindsight, when I'm not in that mind state I get in when I am actually working on the product. I also work with a lot of other designers/developers and they'll sometimes say "Hey, you thought too much into it. I think <insert project here> was better in such and such stage," and most often they're right.

Lucy likes this.
    Lucy likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  15. Lucy

Lucy #1

Dec 4, 2017
    Fair point. Not sure if this would be the case for Eminem though, i'd say it's more likely everyone around him would say whatever he is doing is 'good' regardless of what they actually think. Doesn't he have a history of not talking to people that criticize him?

Evad likes this.
    Evad likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  16. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 4, 2017
    Not sure if he has a history of not talking to people that criticize him, but I do think he's surrounded by a lot of yes men. Well, there was proof he was anyways. But I can definitely imagine in his creative process, he has that perfectionist mind state and goes too deep into it until it's not that great.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  17. Phantom_Snake

Dec 4, 2017
    Proof was the only one allowed to critique his work... jk

Has anyone ever thought that maybe he became more open minded and responsive to criticism since Relapse hence all the pop songs/features and apologizing about his latest work? Now instead of doing what he wants and telling people to go f--- off he is listening to these people that are telling him he needs this person on the chorus or he should jump on this song with Pink. Food for thought is all.

sandro and SLAYAR like this.
    sandro and SLAYAR like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  18. Hipper2dHoppert

Dec 5, 2017
    Yes I did

Holy Water likes this.
    Holy Water likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024