New Migos Interview with GQ || about Grammys, T-Shirt Music Video, animals, etc.

Started by Jordan, Feb 14, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Feb 14, 2017
    What Migos Did on Grammys Night Instead of Going to the Grammys
    http://www.gq.com/story/what-migos-did-on-grammys-night-instead-of-going-to-the-grammys

[​IMG]

The three-man crew of Migos got down with Gucci and talked about their favorite animals.

Think back to when you and your two best friends had an average age of 21. Back when your collective IQ was dwarfed by your individual IQs, when you could talk each other into just about any ridiculous stunt one of you concocted. Now imagine you three have both a number one song on the Billlboard Hot 100 together and a number one album on the Billboard 200.

Feeling invincible yet? On Sunday night, the three guys—Quavo, Takeoff, and Offset—who comprise the Georgia-based trio Migos certainly were. Migos performed "Versace" and their chart-topping single "Bad and Boujee" at GQ's Grammys party at the Chateau Marmont onstage with their multiple Grammy-winning buddy Chance the Rapper. Afterward, they gifted GQ with a glimpse into what it's like to be a group of young musician dudes on top of the world. Apparently it entails a lot of deep thoughts about animals.

GQ: So you guys got some free drinks and all, yes?
    Quavo: Yeah. I'm all the way up.

Tell me a little about what you guys did today before the Grammys.
    Quavo: I've been shopping all day, man. Dropping money, getting myself right. Getting my grooming together, because you know tonight's gonna be a nice night. Fun night. We're everywhere—number one song in the country, number one album, so everybody wanna see you.

Where'd you groom?
    Quavo: Gucci. You know. Gotta wear that Gucci.
    Takeoff: I did the same thing, but I sat back and meditated for a while. Thought about a few things while I meditated. One of 'em was GQ.
    Offset: Yeah, same. I'm in Gucci head to toe. Feels good.

Ooh, I love these furry slides you have on! Those are great. So did you guys go to the Grammys award ceremony?

Quavo: No, we didn't go to the Grammys show. We're just here doing all the parties, all the after-parties, all these gigs.

That almost sounds like the better end of the deal.

Quavo: Yeah, it's the most fun way to do it.

So what did you guys do during the Grammys telecast? Did you watch it?

Quavo: Nah. We've been so busy, running around, shopping, trying to get ourselves good, we hardly had time to do it. But I know my boy Chance won the Grammys, and I'm happy for him. We got love for him, he got love for us, so it's only right to have one of us get the Grammy and take it back home.
    Takeoff: It's kind of like we won the Grammy too.

It's been said in the past that the Grammys are a little out of touch—especially with regard to black musicians. Do you guys feel like Chance's win is a step in the right direction, or is there still work to be done?

Quavo: I feel like the Grammys are coming along. It's going in the right direction. I mean, we're gonna be there next year for sure. Hopefully we'll bring one home. And it's coming along. The transition is nice. Everybody's got their time and everybody's got their spot.

What Grammys are you guys planning to win next year?
    Quavo: To be the greatest group in the world.

I don't think that's a Grammy category.

Quavo: Well, it's not even about the Grammys. It's just being in the forefront of the culture. If they want to award us with that, let's do it. But most of our team, we don't worry about the MVP award. We worry about the whole championship. We want to be out here making our fans happy.

Let's talk for a minute about the "T-Shirt" video. I love this video so much. What inspired it?

Quavo: I directed the video, me and Daps. I just wanted to bring something different—take the trap out of something else, make the trap feel uncomfortable, bring it to the wilderness. Because I know once we go anywhere, we're just so talented and we're so quick—we're fast learners—and we adapt to any weather, so I feel like we should go take our talents to, you know, the North Pole or something.

Where did you guys film that, though, actually?

Quavo: We shot it at Lake Tahoe.

Some people have said it reminded them of The Revenant. Was that an inspiration for you guys?

Takeoff: Nah. It's a dope movie, though. I can see why people would say that, but it wasn't designed like that.

The "T-Shirt" video has a good dog in it.

Takeoff: Yeah! We got huskies in it. There were like two, three of them.
    Quavo: They were wolves!

Were they friendly or were they mean?

Takeoff: They were friendly. We were feeding them! [The trainers] gave us—what kind of food did they give us? We could feed them out of our hands, though. There's footage of them walking up to us. It's cool.
    Quavo: We love animals so much.

Do you? What other animals do you love?

Quavo: I love dogs. I love tigers.
    Takeoff: Monkeys.
    Quavo: I love lions. I love monkeys.

Are you guys gonna put some more animals in your videos?

Takeoff: Most definitely.
    Offset: Some harder-to-coach ones.

What's your next animal?

Takeoff: We can't spoil it! Then you'll know what it is! [laughs]

Guys, I'm trying to get a scoop here! You can't give me a little bit of intel?

Quavo: Maybe a white tiger, like in the "Versace" video.
    Takeoff: Something extinct.

Quavo, you shot a bow and arrow in that video. Did you have any experience with that before?

Quavo: It was the first time I'd ever seen a bow and arrow. Like I said: Everything we do, we learn so fast. I'm a natural-born shooter, baby. I know how to s---t everything.

What are you guys planning to do with the rest of your night?

Offset: Party.
    Quavo: We're gonna partyyyy.

@MigosFam :wow5: lots of quotables in this interview

Ordinary Joel and Zanni like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Feb 14, 2017
    :omgg::damnn:

Apr 26, 2024
  3. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Feb 14, 2017
    will they really be the greatest group in the world next year? what do you guys think?

I'm legit wondering how much longer they can keep the buzz up (or if/how they can create new waves)

Ordinary Joel and Buu like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. Rimbley

Rimbley everybody kno' im next

Feb 14, 2017
    quavo answering most of the question, mans the leader of the migos

Apr 26, 2024
  5. Buu

Buu

Feb 14, 2017
    Takeoff the quiet one, Offset the chill one..

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. Buu

Buu

Feb 14, 2017
    I definitely think so. As long as they can really. Would want them to find new artist to keep the culture growing.

Apr 26, 2024