Eminem M Solo's OFFICIAL The Day After.... My thoughts on Phenomenal

Started by M Solo, Jun 2, 2015, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. ozy

ozy

Jun 2, 2015
    This isn't really true at all though. Aside from Talkin To Myself, Going Through Changes, Space Bound, and You're Never Over (which blows), he doesn't really get that personal. MMLP2 is arguably as personal (Bad Guy, Legacy, Brainless, Headlights, Groundhog Day) with better songs also structured around them (Rhyme or Reason, Rap God, Evil Twin, h--- even Berzerk)

asvdawg likes this.
    asvdawg likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute D-W-I-G-H-T

Jun 2, 2015
    I liked much of MMLP2 ... I listen to it without wanting to hate it, and it's good. Not great, not out of this world. Good.

Apr 26, 2024
  3. Wreckless

Jun 2, 2015
    Why so mad? No need for insults. You sound like a spoiled little brat.

Section80 likes this.
    Section80 likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. python

python in the nighttime

Jun 2, 2015
    its a rare occasion where he doesn't throw in a line that just absolutely f---s up everything and turns the song to cringe i.e. "toilets clogged cause i'm talkin a lot of s---"

M Solo likes this.
    M Solo likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Wreckless

Jun 2, 2015
    His s-----y out of rythm flow ruined it for me again. The fact that he can't stay in sync with the beat since Shady XV pisses me off. Song could have been great with a couple of changes made to it but it's just average. Average present Eminem.

asvdawg likes this.
    asvdawg likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Jun 2, 2015

Just curious but what we're my snide comments about this song? I pointed out the mixing and the bridge. Other than those two issues I think it's pretty good and could have been great(for 2015 Eminem) if had the proper mixing and if Eminem had done the hook.

I also forgot to mention the production. Mixing aside I thought it was fantastic and Eminem did a great job with the beat switch ups in the second and third verses.

rapmusik and SLAYAR like this.
    rapmusik and SLAYAR like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  7. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Jun 2, 2015
    Love is evol

(spell it backwards I'll show ya)

Section80 likes this.
    Section80 likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  8. asvdawg

Jun 2, 2015
    i know its a childish/ 13 year old tumblr famous line but I really thought this was clever when i first heard it and it didnt make me cringe

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. Antidisestablishment

Jun 2, 2015
    I think you meant to quote me, mate. The snide comments I didn't agree with were "objectively speaking this isn't a good song at all" and the "he set the bar so low" comments. I agree but even more strongly disagree with those comments. Mostly disagree because I feel like those statements take away from how decent the song is.

I don't think you were speaking "objectively" when you say it isn't good because you've been disappointed by him the past few years so it's almost as if you have a guard up when you turn on a new Eminem song and brace for the worst. But you can let the guard down because I think it is pretty safe to say the song is good.

I get what you are saying with the "set the bar so low" line ....buuuuuut...idk it just came off as an underhanded comment. Like the grumpy boss who isn't good at giving compliments. "Hey Marshall, you finally did this right, but you're still a f-- at the end of the day" Sort of like that homie.

Again, it's all good though, doesn't take away from the assessment, just something I rolled my eyes over when I read it.

Webber, SLAYAR and M Solo like this.
    Webber, SLAYAR and M Solo like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  10. Tech

Jun 2, 2015
    I feel like if he was to drop the acapella for this, an amateur YouTube mixer could produce a way more tolerable track.

SLAYAR likes this.
    SLAYAR likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  11. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jun 2, 2015

0 0
    Apr 26, 2024
  12. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jun 2, 2015
    Didn't you & @Arch Dogg think Recovery was a great album. I remember on SL you made a thread defending how Recovery was great and Arch Dogg was so happy that someone credible actually agreed with him lol

rapmusik, SLAYAR and Mike02 like this.
    rapmusik, SLAYAR and Mike02 like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  13. Pete59

Jun 2, 2015
    Come on bro, using one line to discredit an entire song? Groundhog day literally explains how Eminem was introduced to rap music by Uncle Ronnie, and he soon realized that rap was his future. How him and Proof used to write together and how they came up with the concept of D12 and all of their alter egos. You say how content is everything for you, yet you don't seem to give MMLP2 any credit, probably his greatest album since TES, content wise.

Instead you focus on one line and declare the entire song trash. Same with Legacy, three verses all told from different stages in Eminem's life. First as a young, awkward kid who got bullied and stuffed into lockers. Second verse as a teenager, just introduced to rap music, starting to gain confidence through writing raps and getting stronger as the verse goes on. And finally third verse as a successful rap artist, shoving it in the faces of everyone who doubted him and said he wouldn't amount to s---.

ShadyXV was the worst thing Eminem has put out in a while. Besides Fine Line, which is great content wise and has a classic beat, but still suffers from a horrible flow. His flow on ShadyXV, Die Alone, Vegas, and Right for Me makes me want to vomit.

asvdawg, Griff and SLAYAR like this.
    asvdawg, Griff and SLAYAR like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  14. Mike02

Jun 2, 2015
    I remember that thread. Good memories. And yes I still think Recovery is his best work since 8 Mile. Talkin To Myself, Going Through Changes, Not Afraid, Seduction, No Love, Space Bound, and 25 To Life are all outstanding.

Poohdini, SLAYAR and M Solo like this.
    Poohdini, SLAYAR and M Solo like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  15. M Solo

Jun 2, 2015
    Fair enough. I see where you're coming from but given how his career trajectory has played out he's become an artist who is really difficult to judge fairly- for me at least. "Objectively speaking this isn't a good song at all" wasn't exactly accurate on my part. If I compare it with the rest of his discography it would fall somewhere between average-good. However, as a stand alone song from 2015 Eminem I think it's great(But obviously not the same tier as songs he made that I would label "great" from 99-03) I don't know, like I said he's tough to judge fairly. As far as "set the bar so low" that's just me throwing a shot at the idiots around here who think MMLP2 is his best album. Nothing more, nothing less. I have zero problem admitting when and then applauding him when he does something right. I've been really outspoken about how much I appreciated most of his work on Shady XV and I will continue to do so with this song.

Edit- I can admit my criticisms are often over the top but I don't think they're unwarranted. This was the most talented guy in the world at one point and to see him just kind of piss away(for the most part) the last 75% of his career has been infuriating to watch.

Tech, Raziel, Webber and 2 others like this.
    Tech, Raziel, Webber and 2 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. rapmusik

Jun 2, 2015
    I feel like Eminem is on a slow climb back to the top... obviously he'll never reach his 2002 self but he'll get better. His brain is probably so f----- up too. there's no way someone just randomly falls off like that... that drug s--- gave him brain damage for real.

he's got one album left in him... and it'll be great. his flow on this song, specifically the last verse is a good sign

shadyslim555 likes this.
    shadyslim555 likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  17. M Solo

Jun 2, 2015
    I'll make fun of GD's terrible lines but it's not like I'm trashing something I otherwise like. The content is redundant and the song is just corny to me as a whole. Just like I didn't give a s--- about his history listen on Yellow Brick Road I don't care for it on this song. I don't like his flow, his voice, anything about it. But hey if you think the song is coo coo ballistic then more power to you.

I thought the first two verses of Legacy were GREAT. The third verse literally gave me goosebumps because I was embarrassed. But I'm supposed to like it why? He's done plenty of "I told you so's" throughout his career and I've loved the majority of them. He could of done it without talking about flying saucers and sausages flying out of his a--- hole. That was perhaps the worst song of his career.

It's whatever though. The majority of people love MMLP2. That's great. I prefer Recovery. A majority of people hate Phenomenal. I really enjoyed it. But you don't see me running around trying to force everybody else to feel the same way like all of you nut cases do with MMLP2. You people get flat out angry and try and force people to appreciate "HOW IT'S THE GREATEST ALBUM SINCE TES!!!!" No, I f---ing disagree. I enjoyed Recovery, GOF, Fine Line and now Phenomenal. I thought MMLP2 was a piece of s---. Don't feel the same way? That's great I don't give a f---. You enjoy what you enjoy and I'll do the same. I'm glad I'm me.

Raziel, Webber and Pete59 like this.
    Raziel, Webber and Pete59 like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  18. Antidisestablishment

Jun 2, 2015
    Ok yeah this post made me respect your opinion more and gave me some insight on your thinking. Before it just came off to me as blind hate.

Ever since Recovery era, he has been wildly inconsistent as opposed to before where he was consistently putting out good material. For every GOF, Fine Line, Spacebound, etc. there's even more Calm Downs, Love Games, and what not..I'd say he's gone from being the undisputed best to just leveling out as maybe slightly below average to slightly above average. In my heart of hearts, I don't seem him as the worst rap artist out right now or on par with the worst as some may like to think, but he's clearly over the hill yet still clinging on to the fundamental rap skills he was born with. He'll put out something like a GOF or Phenomenal just when you're ready to give up on him to let you know he's still got it.

Raziel, Webber and M Solo like this.
    Raziel, Webber and M Solo like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  19. Noid

Noid Ethering "legends" since 2002

Jun 2, 2015
    I think the root of the problem here is that Eminem will NEVER get personal ever again on another track. He said that in an interview.

Him reflecting on his career and making generic love songs that are probably about Kim are as close as we will ever get again. There is literally no more content.

Mikey, Raziel and Section80 like this.
    Mikey, Raziel and Section80 like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  20. MFive

Jun 2, 2015
    Really don't see how anyone can argue against these 4 being his best post-hiatus songs (minus Deja Vu)

M Solo likes this.
    M Solo likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024