The Stories behind Hip-Hop's most Iconic Images

Started by Big Dangerous, Nov 5, 2018, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Nov 5, 2018
    Really cool read and a lot more content and images on the actual page. Highly recommend.

source: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/10/entertainment/hip-hop-portraits-cnnphotos/

Apparently it is a book with these images and their stories; scroll down on this page (https://www.contacthighproject.com/) for a huge gallery of iconic hip hop images

Here is a preview of some of the pictures and excerpts presumably found in the book

Every hip-hop fan knows the images: The Notorious B.I.G. rocking the "King of New York" crown, Tupac Shakur with the double-finger salute, Jay-Z peeking through his hands as he throws his diamond up.

Now, journalist Vikki Tobak wants to share the stories behind these images as recalled through the words – and the lenses – of the photographers who shot them. The result is “Contact High: A Visual History of Hip-Hop.”

[​IMG]
    If Eminem bears an uncanny resemblance to Alex DeLarge in “A Clockwork Orange,” you’re onto something.
    The 1998 Stress magazine cover shot by Jus Ske Salguero was not just an homage to Stanley Kubrick, however. It was also a dis to one of Em’s rivals, the rapper Cage, who had a song at the time titled “Agent Orange.”

[​IMG]
    Jay-Z was not always the megastar fans know today. For his first photo s---t in 1995, his friends picked up photographer Jamil GS in a Lexus.
    Hova had a custom-made nameplate put on one of the Lexuses used in the s---t, and Jamil GS juxtaposed the up-and-coming rapper with symbols of wealth, including a yacht and the World Trade Center.

[​IMG]
    Hoping to capitalize on an up-and-coming Chicago rapper, Nabil Elderkin bought kanyewest.com in 2003, only to trade it for a photo s---t when Ye’s label offered to buy it.
    The cover was shot at a Harlem community center, and photographer Danny Clinch says, “I got the sense that he really wanted to take a chance with this debut.”

[​IMG]
    Barron Claiborne wasn’t exactly known for shooting rappers when Biggie showed up at his studio near Wall Street for a Rap Pages magazine s---t. He felt images of rappers had been cliché, and Claiborne “wasn’t interested in stereotypical negative imagery of black people,” he writes.

To him, the rapper was “a big West African king,” and he wanted him portrayed as regal in the photos. The idea was almost derailed by Puff Daddy, who owned Bad Boy Entertainment, Biggie’s label. Puff thought the crown made Biggie look like Burger King, but Biggie convinced Puff it was “a cool concept,” Claiborne writes.

"This photo is about hip-hop, but it's also beyond that. This was simply about photographing Biggie as the King of New York. He is depicted as an almost saint-like figure. This shot is the shot and it's iconic. I still have the crown, too,” Claiborne says, adding he was honored to hear that mourners carried the image during the rapper’s funeral procession days later.

[​IMG]
    Always a fashionisto, Andre 3000 impressed Janette Beckman, who took the Salt-N-Pepa photos, with his style, and “the poses that Andre threw that day were incredible.”

here are some of the other images included in the wonderful gallery

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mar 28, 2024
  2. 6ix9ineWithThe9

Nov 5, 2018
    20181106_013635.jpg
    Wtf

JulnHT, n9ne, Meero and 4 others like this.
    JulnHT, n9ne, Meero and 4 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Buddha

Nov 5, 2018
    This is f---ing fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Big Dangerous likes this.
    Big Dangerous likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Nov 5, 2018
    Yea no clue what was up with these

Interesting tho

6ix9ineWithThe9 likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Mimi

Mimi the art of doing nothing

Nov 5, 2018
    Looks like the friend of Hulk Hogan’s son after the car accident =|

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Nov 6, 2018
    Stress had that Alex flick before Spin or whatever big publication used it. If I’m not mistaken, Em’s road manager at the time was affiliated with Stress, which is how they got him in the magazine. I think I might still have that issue, I used to read Stress a lot and I knew people who worked there and I even visited their HQ once (they were based in Hollis, Queens). I imagine there’s going to be some Mannion, Powell, Paniccioli shots in here. Probably some Conzo shots too, he did a lot of the 70s and early 80s Hip Hop flicks, he’s still out there shooting Old School events. Seems like an interesting book, I might cop it.

Buddha likes this.
    Buddha likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024