Xmipods Best Album of - 2019

Started by Xmipod, Oct 13, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Xmipod

Oct 13, 2019
    Wanted to do this for a while and inspired by @Sav Stanfield great threads but Im going to be posting a thread every week or so of my personal favorite hip hop album with a review of the album for each year. Not sure how far back Ill go but if this gains some discussion in the thread Ill probably keep going. Since this is 2019 it could be subject to change but my pick is Boogies "Everything for Sale"

Ive been a fan of Boogie since Came Up first came out in 2015. When I heard he signed for Shady records, I was happy for him but nervous given their very poor track record. After the album was delayed I got even more nervous, but was I wrong. Boogie came through with a great album full of clever wordplay and beautiful melodic moments. From Skydive to Rainy Days, Boogie provided a great disperity between sonical songs, but still fitting the somber feel of the album. All of the production was good and complimented Boogies vocals. JID provided a good feature for what was needed, while 6lack pulled through with the best guest spot for me. My biggest gripe with the album is that it wasnt long enough, I prefer the shorter tracklist, but each song made me want another verse from Boogie. Eminems verse wasnt bad either, but it sounds like Eminem didnt listen to the rest of the album when writing his verse and just had the beat.

Favorite Songs:
    Silent Ride
    Skydive
    Skydive II

Worst Song:
    Although it wasnt a bad song, Rainy Days didnt really fit the rest of the album, so Ill pick it.

Some honorable mentions from the year:
    YBN Cordae's The Lost Boy
    Anderson Paak's Ventura
    Dreamville's Revenge of the Dreamers 3
    Schoolboy Q's Crash Talk
    Future's The Wizrd

Apr 27, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Oct 14, 2019
    great thread @Xmipod looking forward to reading the rest of the reviews! Just looking at your list is reminding me how amazing 2019 has been, there's so much good new music.

I still can't believe Shady Records managed to produce such a good album, although thats probably thanks to Boogie himself more than anything else. It was really cohesive (besides that Em feature lol), Silent Ride, Self Destruction and a few other incredible standout songs. JID and 6lack features were amazing as well. Need to give this another proper spin soon.

Apr 27, 2024