Drake dvsn - 'Morning After' [OUT NOW]

Started by Raxofa, Aug 1, 2017, in Drake Add to Reading List

1. Raxofa

Raxofa We some youngin's making livin's

Aug 1, 2017
    [​IMG]
    It’s been a minute since we last heard any new music from dvsn. In fact, the last time the R&B production duo impacted our website was back in late September/ early October when they dropped off a couple remixes to Drake’s Views cut Faithful, but thankfully that drought looks to be coming to an end here soon.

On Sunday night, the OVO duo consisting of T.dot producer Nineteen85 & crooner Daniel Daley decided to inform fans that they have some new music on the way. “We got some ‘text your ex’ music on the way” they tweeted out. In the hours following that, they also shared a pic on Instagram from the studio, leaving the caption ”working on the new sounds.”

Unfortunately, they didn’t reveal any sort time frame of when we might hear the new music, but hopefully it’s here sooner than later because we’re long overdue. We'll keep you posted moving forward.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/dvsn-says-new-music-is-on-the-way-news.31140.html

UPDATE 8/1
    As Drake rides the wave of More Life, it only leaves more space for the other OVO hit-makers to flourish. The Toronto-oriented label have confirmed new music coming from Majid Jordan, PARTYNEXTDOOR, Roy Wood$ and DVSN this fall. Each artists album has had billboards posted throughout the 6ix promoting their upcoming albums. Expect The Space Between from Majid Jordan, DVSN's The Morning After, PND's Club Atlantis and Roy Wood$ Say Less to be on repeat all fall.
    http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/ovo-sou...d-jordan-and-roy-woods-albums-news.35717.html

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
    Jehovah likes this.
    Jehovah likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Aug 1, 2017
    More info pls

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Raxofa

Raxofa We some youngin's making livin's

Aug 1, 2017
    signs were posted up i would upload images but don't know how

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Ordinary Joel

Aug 1, 2017
    Upload to imgur

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Aug 2, 2017

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Ordinary Joel

Aug 12, 2017

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Ordinary Joel

Aug 29, 2017

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Aug 31, 2017
    classic otw @Jet✞

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 13, 2017
    Just started, this is great so far. dvsn might be the best artist on OVO right now.

Ordinary Joel and Jehovah like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Jehovah like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 13, 2017
    How Dvsn Carved Out Their Own Niche With Emotive, Throwback R&B
    Drake-affiliated duo talk turning an unfashionable aesthetic into the sound of the future
    [​IMG]
    In July 2016, the R&B duo Dvsn found themselves in an exciting but precarious position. During only their second set of live dates, the pair were already opening for Drake and Future on the triumphant Summer Sixteen tour, which went on to become the highest grossing hip-hop jaunt of all time. But how would a crowd primed for deliriously exultant Drake/Future collaborations like "Jumpman" respond to Dvsn, whose best moments are more in line with emotive Nineties R&B than the music on today's airwaves?

"That [experience] allowed us to do two things," says Dvsn vocalist Daniel Daley. "To go out there and have to win the attention, appreciation and adoration of a bunch of people that were there to turn up, and to learn that they all have a spot in them that's OK staying in that night."

So it's been for Dvsn – the name is often styled "dvsn" — who have accumulated more than 150 million streams in the U.S. since debuting in November of 2015. Daley's partner in the group is Paul Jefferies, better known as Nineteen85, co-producer of mammoth Drake hits like "Hotline Bling." After releasing their debut, Sept 5th, last year with little warning, Dvsn return on Friday with Morning After. "Sept 5th in a way works like a mixtape; it's an introductory piece," Daley says. "This time around, we definitely have some records that we think have a bigger space to occupy."

This is hard-won confidence – initially Daley and Jefferies primarily kept their interest in R&B secret and focused on making rap. "Hanging out with crews of guys, it's not the coolest thing to say, 'Yo, I sing – have you heard that Boyz II Men record, that new Usher or Ginuwine?'" Daley explains. "And a lot of the stuff that we loved in R&B was way older than we were," Jefferies adds. "Most of the people we were hanging with weren't actually listening to that R&B."

The two connected in Toronto's music scene in the years before Drake released So Far Gone, the mixtape that set him on the path to stardom. It was a tough time for R&B in general: In 2007, only two R&B singles by artists who had not previously scored major hits crossed over to the pop airplay chart. As a result, rapping was the thing. "I knew Daniel as this guy who wrote raps," Jefferies says. "So I was like, 'Hey, do you want to try some of my beats?'" But one day, continues Daley, "he stumbled across me singing and was like, 'Yo, let's go with that.'"

Their commitment to R&B paid off when a mutual friend connected them with Noah "40" Shebib, co-architect of Drake's sound as well as a producer of standout cuts for Alicia Keys and Beyoncé. "She said, 'The one person in the city that knows music in the way that you guys do, the person you want to go to when you're talking about vocals and R&B, is 40,'" Daley remembers. "We met him, and we became those kids that 40 was always checking for."

"Dvsn is a part of music that has been missing for a long time," Shebib tells Rolling Stone. "[Their] s--- is just good R&B music."

Drake's success meant 40 spent more and more time away from Toronto, but the producer maintained contact with Dvsn as the duo honed their songwriting, penning tracks for Jessie Ware and Jennifer Hudson. There were other placements, too, but "none that we're bragging about," according to Daley – in fact, most of the Daley/Jefferies cuts were rejected. "When we were sending songs to people, the A&R or the manager would respond back and be like, 'This sounds done – whose song did you send me? I was hoping for demos,'" Jefferies explains.

"That made us grow in a way that we wouldn't have been able to had we popped off immediately," he continues. "It gave us extra time. The last year or two, it didn't work exactly as we wanted to as songwriters, but we ended up developing way more as artists." It helped that Jefferies also had royalties flowing in during this period from co-producing Drake's "Hold On, We're Going Home" and Nicki Minaj's "Truffle Butter," both Top 20 hits on the Hot 100.

Daley credits Jefferies with deciding that the two should step out on their own as Dvsn. "As a producer, I was now known as the guy who made these huge pop hits, but as a songwriter pitching to R&B artists, there was a lot of second-guessing," Jefferies says. "I was like, I think I've proven I know what's going to be the next thing. Why keep putting it in someone else's hands and hope they're gonna do our song as good as we could?"

In 2015, Dvsn posted two luxurious ballads on SoundCloud: "With Me," a 6:58-long come-on swaddled in harmonies, and "The Line," which harked back to early-2000s D'Angelo. "[Those two tracks] didn't sound like anything [out at the time]," Jefferies says. "Without naming any names, some artists are making good R&B but they're not necessarily vocalists," explains Carl Chery, Head of Artist Curation for Apple Music, which has been a major supporter of Dvsn. "I liked Daniel's tone, his voice, his writing ability. It was like, this is what the groups I loved in the Nineties would come up with now."

Though Dvsn owe much to the Drake/40 hive mind, one of the most refreshing things about them was that they didn't sound like Drake at a time when there were already more than enough R&B acts attempting to build on his blueprint. As a result, not long after releasing their first two songs, "the phones were ringing, the emails were blowing up, and 40 was looking at us like a proud dad," Daley recalls. But the group initially kept Daley's identity a secret, hinting only that Dvsn was a Nineteen85 side project, a tried and true strategy for heightening listeners' curiosity at a time when all information is just a Google search away.

The pair inked a deal with OVO Sound – Drake's label, distributed through Warner Bros., and what Daley affectionately calls "the home team" – and released their debut album as an Apple exclusive four months later. "If you go back, I think the first exclusive we got was [Dr. Dre's] Compton," Cherry recalls. "Then it was [Drake and Future's] What a Time to Be Alive. Then it was Bryson [Tiller's Trapsoul]. We had done all these exclusives with big artists. I felt like doing it with them would be a h--- of a stamp for an artist that was emerging at the time."

After a short tour on their own and a pair of jaunts with Drake, the duo are now ready with Morning After, which Daley predicts will "really surprise people." The live experience "made us a little bit more aware of how much freedom we had to pick up the tempo on some things," Jefferies says. "You have a whole group of people ready to move – you need to find different ways to make them react."

But the group is still happy to set a deliberate pace when necessary, matching Daley's direct expressions of desire with Jefferies' uncluttered production. New track "Body Smile" continues in the tradition of "The Line," leaving Daley to carry a melody across the empty spaces between each drum thunk, while "POV" samples the 1999 Maxwell ballad "Fortunate." (Maxwell calls Dvsn "my favorite band," commending them for "making a Nineties backdrop for the woke ones of the future.") "My job is always to let Daniel shine," Jefferies notes. "It's not for the production to be another singer. It's not having those things compete."

"There's times where I'm like, 'Why don't we trap this one up a bit?'" admits Daley. "[But] songs like 'Mood' or 'Body Smile' – no one wants to hear a million drums distracting from the passion that we put into records like that."

"We're separating from the pack," he adds, before reiterating the Dvsn mantra: "When they're all in the club, we might just stay in."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/drake-affiliates-dvsn-on-throwback-rb-morning-after-w507551

Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Jehovah like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. Jehovah

Jehovah SB3

Oct 13, 2017
    the title track outta this world man s--- is so crazy

Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 13, 2017
    He's mad talented, there's really not a lot of r&b out there that sounds like this rn

Trackz, Ordinary Joel and Jehovah like this.
    Trackz, Ordinary Joel and Jehovah like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Oct 13, 2017
    Now this is f---ing R&B, pun intended

Ordinary Joel, Jehovah and Poohdini like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Jehovah and Poohdini like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 13, 2017
    Body Smile :drakemj:

Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Jehovah like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Fire Squad

Oct 13, 2017
    I'm such a massive fan of 90s R&B, so glad to see them bring back some of that energy and sound and make it sound fresh. This a heavy contender for best OVO artist solo, up there with PND's finest work

Ordinary Joel, Poohdini and Jehovah like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Oct 13, 2017
    beautiful album

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Oct 13, 2017
    really looking forward to finding some gems on this.

Poohdini and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Poohdini and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Cunner

Cunner belter skelter

Oct 17, 2017
    not into post weeknd rnb sound really but this album slapping honestly

Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. Fire Squad

Oct 17, 2017
    Daley ain't like a special vocalist but he definitely does the production and throwback theme on the album justice. Of all the Drake-affiliates, dvsn is the best of the lot fosho

Mar 28, 2024
  20. Cunner

Cunner belter skelter

Oct 17, 2017
    forsure, vocals themselves are nothing special at all kinda why it took me ages to really give them a chance but their chemistry really just works

best current yeah pnd1 & 2 untouchable tho

Mar 28, 2024