How do you listen and keep up to date with new music?

Started by Sav Stanfield, Feb 6, 2021, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Feb 6, 2021
    Was interested to see the homie @awhellno discovers s--- through soundcloud. I havent used SC in years and after neverending annoyance at Spotify for not letting me organise my library the way I want I've now settled on a combination of Apple Music (for organising), YouTube and MusicHarbour for keeping up to date and Twitter, Reddit, review sites/columns for hype and new s---.

Obviously completely overwhelmed with how much there is to listen to these days but January's been so quiet I've been going back and revising a lot of older music - not that I haven't heard before, but that I actually know well and used to enjoy. Its crazy how many of my all-time favorite artists and albums have just completely disappeared out of rotation in the last year or two, just because I'm spending so much time with newer, undiscovered s---.

Curious to know how everyone else balances between listening to newer and older music? Do you just listen, forget about and move on? Stick to certain artists only? Keep certain albums? make playlists? Or just keep Eminem on repeat for 23 years straight?

Ordinary Joel, SLAYAR, DKC and 3 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 6, 2021
    What u think,

Following u, @Antman and @awhellno threads of course!

Also checking pluspremieres and other music sites every friday for some gems (rap and non rap). But mostly its because of you guys. It's a shame not more people do that, and to see huge paragraphs of recommendations with only 3 replies..

But yeah I also go back to old music a lot. Old as in, released a year ago but also 20. I can listen to some eminem or jay, but also future/thug and as well the artist u guys recommend. I listen to a huge variety of music. But not as much and often as u guys because I don't have time -and cant listen during work either-

Long story short, u guys are goats and I wish people would appreciate and participare more

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Feb 6, 2021
    I'm one of those guys who have a 3500+ songs playlist on Spotify with a runtime of 200 hrs. That's where the magic happens. Put it on Shuffle and travel through multiple generations of music. Pluspremieres really is a dope site for checking out new releases every friday. Leakth.is (before it went down) also introduced me to more upcoming artists. If people actually start leaking artists stuff, I thought to myself: Hey they must be good. Let's check them out. The youtube algorithm is another factor, it showed me so many gems. Section 80 of course provides me with A LOT of stuff that I've never even heard of (and made me ashamed more than one time). Twitter has probably one of the most negative communities but their music taste is good. Related artists and features on songs of artists that I already listen to supply me with more stuff that goes right in my lane. And last but not least: pure coincidence. Sometimes you just stumble across s---. Once I've randomly typed 'Yessir' in my spotify search bar and there was this song by Rod Wave with that title. Real b-----r. Of course you need time for all that s---. But I'm on this music s--- since I was 11 and downloaded songs on SD cards since that very moment. I feel like I'm listening to music every single free second of my life. Since my country is on it's fourth lockdown and I can't go to work (just a student job so not much to do anyways but still) I even got more time. I'm not really stressing if I miss something, I'm moreso happy if I discover something new. And all that goes in that messy, big a--- Spotify playlist. I've never been an organized person anyways and still doing pretty good so far lol

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

Feb 6, 2021
    Tidal for discovery via curation & listening to new releases, personal library for music I want to keep & I have Spotify for collaborative playlists made w/ friends where we add music from different genres that we discover & think each other will appreciate.

Of course through other avenues like this forum with the threads everyone makes. Also helps in rediscovering lost music too.

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 6, 2021
    I wish I had that much time / dedication but a song or artist really has to click w me on first listen or I move on. Since there is so d--- much lol.

Thats why I love threads that have a few songs posted by several artist. I know its not fair to judge an artist based on one song or 2 but if u have limited time and 10000 artist dropping s--- like every hour its the best way for me.

And thats just new music alone, not even relistening lmao. Also aside from rap I listen to other genres too thats the great thing about pluspremieres!

Apr 19, 2024
  6. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Feb 6, 2021
    Yeah I feel you, but it's actually way less time consuming as one might think. I guess I just developed a nose or tactic after checking out new music for all those years. Mobile Spotify has like the 5 most streamed songs on top, so I just skim through them and If one of them catches my attention, I'll add it to my playlist and revisit that artist later. It all adds up with time. Like I said, I got 12 years of actively browsing through music on my tab. I still got a shitload to do for uni and I'm not sitting in my room all day and listen to music of course lol. But when I work out, or drive with public transport or by car, I got my phone ready to play some heat.

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Feb 6, 2021
    I don't use SC that much either, but if an artist is known for having his beginnings in SC, I'll check their page out, since they more often only have their more recent stuff on spotify.

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 6, 2021
    There's the difference. I always intent to do that but then I forget or am busy lol. There are lot of times also I listen to my music on shuffle (which is 99% of how I listen to music, and I just keep adding new stuff) and then end up relistening to music I know I like instead of music I haven't heard yet. Except when, like I said, it clicks immediately.

There are plenty of examples these past few years of artist I wouldn't have heard without people like u putting me onto it, making it easy. Especially living in europe, lots of popular rappers I wouldn't even have heard of without S80 / pluspremieres etc.

Apr 19, 2024
  9. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Feb 6, 2021
    Yeah I guess that's the beauty of music forums. Sharing new music and discussing it is a great form of communication. Music doesn't know any borders and is this universal language. But I feel you lol: Austria has like 3 big radio stations AND THEY ALL PLAY THE SAME s---. Can't be compared with the s--- ton of radio stations for every genre, the US has. While Young Thug is a big artist in the states, he's some kind of underground artist that not many know of in Austria. I'm glad I atleast live in Vienna, since it's pretty international and therefore marginally better than the rest of Austria

Apr 19, 2024
  10. Sav Stanfield

Feb 6, 2021
    I find this fascinating. Spotify was great but I found myself listening on shuffle which annoyed me because I wasn't taking the time to listen to full albums. Plus the OCD in me couldn't handle not having an organised library that includes music that isn't available on streaming services. I do miss a lot of the perks of Spotify though but can't bring myself to pay for 2 subscriptions at once.

Both Twitter and Reddit are horrendous for discussion but there's no better way to keep on top of everything dropping. @Donkey Kong Cuntry has said it before: the community we have here - even if it is small (and dying) - is what keeps me coming back.

Apr 19, 2024
  11. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

Feb 6, 2021
    I have a jailbroken iPhone so get premium for free, couldn’t touch Spotify with ads, plus I only pay £2/month for Tidal HiFi from Turkey lmao

Worth looking into.

Apr 19, 2024
  12. SLAYAR

Feb 6, 2021
    I simply just keep Eminem on repeat for 23 years straight cheah

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 6, 2021
    Oh yeah lol its the same playlist on the radio stations here as well. And tbh like rn its a lot of dua lipa so thats fine but hearing it 10 times a day... And s-----y dutch rappers and other songs on repeat, no thnx. But if you dont listen to it daily its not that bad I guess but its a shame.

I do listen to radio at work (because its on) but when I can I put my own music on , even if its not very often at work lmao.

What bothers me more is that the clubs here (when they're open , rip rn) play the same s--- every week and almost no new s--- or actual club songs. I could make a club playlist based on songs I hear for the 1st time browsing S80 lmao

Apr 19, 2024
  14. Gimp

Feb 6, 2021
    Mainly social media, also spotify release radar, sometimes this forum.... big shout out too @Sav Stanfield and @awhellno

Apr 19, 2024
  15. thecanibus

thecanibus Updated by Slyk bc I was wishing death on someone

Feb 6, 2021
    Anyone else just live in there own little bubble?

My only real Avenue for new tracks is IG/Messagboards or YouTube but normally i just sink back further in my hole of trash.

SLAYAR and Ordinary Joel like this.
    SLAYAR and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  16. Yeez

Yeez Yeez 4.0

Feb 6, 2021
    Mainly twitter tbh. I really just save it to listen to later

Apr 19, 2024
  17. Sav Stanfield

Feb 7, 2021
    nothing wrong with that at all. You know what you like and enjoy it. I kinda envy you tbh, especially these I feel like I'm just overwhelmed with what to listen to

SLAYAR, Ordinary Joel and thecanibus like this.
    SLAYAR, Ordinary Joel and thecanibus like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  18. aleeex1923

Feb 7, 2021
    Mainly Spotify, that's my home.

Apr 19, 2024
  19. Pandemic

Feb 7, 2021
    Browsing online stores for upcoming physical releases, Bandcamp emails, social media

Apr 19, 2024
  20. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Feb 7, 2021
    Pretty much here and maybe a little bit of Twitter. As you said, it's so overwhelming now to keep up with stuff. I cbf with Soundcloud as 98% of it is just garbage. I kind of just go off something that gets my attention whether it be here or on Twitter I guess, occasionally YouTube.

Apr 19, 2024