I Don't Get Word Play. Help.

Started by Sahara, Jun 7, 2018, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sahara

Jun 7, 2018
    I've always been more into the storytelling. The evocative and emotive side of Hip-Hop. The DMX's and 2Pac's. I LOVE authenticity. I like artist's who let their souls bleed into the music. That kind of music is what seems to really light up my brain. I find more substance and inspiration in it. I like the music I can FEEL and relate to. That's true artistry to me.

I like turn up/ignorant s--- as well but it's more fun for me and is more of an "easy listening" thing. Like a Rick Ross for example. I listen to a lot of that s--- too. Certain types of braggadocios rap that isn't too word play heavy as well.

But for some reason I've never really connected to word play and punchlines. Not only does my brain not really function that way so I find it hard to understand immediately... even when I understand the punchline or word play... It just doesn't do much for me (I think the fact that it doesn't do much for me is partly why I don't always understand it immediately if that makes sense... not stupid I swear). I'm not wowed or inspired by it. I just don't see the compelling side of it others seem to. A lot of it just comes off as overly-wordy to me. It's too scientific without real substance. It's too Lyrical/Spiritual/Miracle/In a swimming pool.

I'm wrestlin' with words and ideas
    My ears is pricked, seekin' what will transmit
    The scribes can apply to transcript

Yo, this ain't no time where the usual is suitable
    Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable

I could probably come up with a better example than what's above but it's what I'm listening to right now. Obviously I can appreciate that Mos Def & Kweli are some of the very best at witty word play in the genres history. I respect them as artists and even like a decent amount of their music. I just struggle to connect to this stuff. It's too try-hard. It doesn't make me feel anything. It's dull. The above lyrics don't really communicate anything to me.

'nother example from Method Man -

Microphone checka, swingin' sword lecture
    Closin' down the sector, supreme neck protector

I'm not sure if anyone can really help me here... If they can help me understand what they like about this style I'd appreciate it. Or give some recommendations? I'm in the mood to consume music and appreciate elements of it I often don't.

Or maybe some of you feel the same way and can make me feel less crazy? I'd be interested in which styles of Hip-Hop you all prefer too.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Jay Zeus

Jay Zeus I am the god-favored weed strain

Jun 7, 2018
    I like both. My emotional spectrum is far too broad to resort to listening to DMX's and Tupac's (Though I do love their work.). Sometimes I wanna "Shed So Many Tears", sometimes I'm "Slippin', Fallin', and I Can't Get Up". Most of the time though, "I'd rather be bombing atomically, while my brain exudes impervious elusiveness to hypotheses and philosophies predicated by Socrates, eons ago."

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Sahara

Jun 7, 2018
    That's the thing... It just doesn't hit me. It's possible I have autism?????

So what you're saying is... I'm just stupid and you're intellectually superior? I have a lot of emotional depth. I don't know what an excessive amount of syllables or words on the obscurer side has to do with emotions.

Why would I emotionally connect to the word impervious any more than I would to the word immune? Impervious is the slightly more obscure word... I don't understand how that relates to emotions.

Word play is obviously a broad concept though and it's not just about syllables or being wordy. Punchlines don't do much for me either.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. JIGGA MANE

Jun 7, 2018
    “I’m drinking lean
    It help me sleep”
    If that s--- don’t give u goosebumps then idk

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Sahara

Jun 7, 2018
    And I just explained to you why it isn't to me lol.

Not sure how that relates to this thread lol? But I love combat sports. MMA/Boxing is a physical manifestation of what we all do throughout life. I don't only enjoy fighting at a surface level and the technical side... it also communicates to me emotionally in that way. I don't understand how being more technical with words relates to emotions. But maybe you're not saying that and I'm getting wrapped up in what Jay said.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Jun 7, 2018
    Authenticity and emotion are cool but nothing beats a good MF DOOM line

Ordinary Joel, CJ Poe and Jay Zeus like this.
    Ordinary Joel, CJ Poe and Jay Zeus like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Jay Zeus

Jay Zeus I am the god-favored weed strain

Jun 7, 2018
    Never said you were stupid. Calm down. Personal preference. I do believe Tupac is a better all-around artist than Biggie. Just think Biggie's a more technically-focused lyricist. Pac could get down in that department when he wanted to though.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Jun 7, 2018
    Sounds like you’re looking for a Dr. Seuss audiobook

Ordinary Joel and Caine like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Caine like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Jun 7, 2018
    Listen to 6 foot 7 foot if u still dont like punchlines try dying that might be more up ur alley

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. Sahara

Jun 8, 2018
    I'm calm. The implication was kinda there tho bro lol.... "My emotional spectrum is far too broad to resort to listening to DMX's and Tupac's"

I think it's more about not having much of an appreciation for the technical side of rap. I've always found puns dull outside of rap too though. I just rarely find them that impressive. Gotta just be a preference thing, yeah. A line like "I'm not a businessman... I'm a business, man" is obviously very clever though. It's just not going to compel me to keep playing the song. It doesn't give it replay value like something that connects to my emotions will.

Fair enough bro. Any chance you can post some songs with some of your favourite word play? I'd appreciate it mate.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. mastersplinterfather

Jun 8, 2018
    truth of the matter is, not every technical mc is a good artist overall, just as not every mumble trapper can be future or migos. at the end of the day it's about being a good artist and making good music because I see a lot of videos on the internet with mc's spitting super tehnical verses over the humble beat. yeah it's cool but nobody is gonna play that more than once cause the artistry isn't there.
    Now the magic I see in the Respiration song is how mos kind of puts a perstective of him staying above the city at night (sort of like batman), sees everything, and describes it so vividly. sure it's technical but it's something you can feel too. just think of outkast, which is goat music status but they are also so tehnical.

god I said tehnical so many times

Sahara likes this.
    Sahara likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. mastersplinterfather

Jun 8, 2018
    I dare you say you don't find yourself at least attracted to bun b's verse here:

Sahara likes this.
    Sahara likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. J Roc

J Roc Straight up

Jun 8, 2018
    If you like authenticity you shoud check out drake

mastersplinterfather likes this.
    mastersplinterfather likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Sahara

Jun 8, 2018
    I like Respiration a lot overall. I just chose to highlight that part because I was listening to it at the time. It only really works as an example outside of the context of the song tho.

Definitely am. Thanks for the recommendation. As an overall song though... I doubt it's something I'd listen to much.

Even this song is a bit too wordy and technical at times. It's impressive but sometimes simplicity is the best communication. That said... It has interesting storytelling and it grips you. I do think when rappers get overly spiritual/miracle/swimming pool it actually detracts from the emotional side of the song sometimes. It makes it feel too contrived. However, it's definitely an art form in it's own right and I can appreciate that.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024