Eminem MMLP2 vs Revival: Big Dangerous, Michael Myers & Freestyle Review

Started by Michael Myers, Dec 17, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 17, 2017
    So, as we discussed; Big Dangerous, Freestyle and me listened to both albums and gave our thoughts. We decided to to a track by track review so every individual tracks gets a fair chance, with in the end a few words about the album as a whole and how we feel about eachothers ratings/opinion.

Big Dangerous
    Michael Myers
    Freestyle

Bad Guy

First part of this song is overrated. Really ominous beat and hook. The hook is soooooo underappreciated lol. Yeah Em is very awkward flow wise. Hard to get over the dumb flow and punchlines when it's supposed to be a serious song. The third verse and subsequent outro are easily enough to make up for any flaws, though.
    "Irony's spectacular, huh? Now who's a fa---- you punk? And here's your Bronco hat, you can have that this back 'cause they s---!" and everything following is one of the greatest musical moments of Eminem's career. 9.5/10

No accent. No screaming. Normal voice. Wow. But yeah another serial killer song, why? 'Its just me you and the music now slim' HOLY s---. I always thought that a sequel to Stan would be a bad idea but d---, he pulled it off. First 2 verses kinda whatever but the 3rd is great. And to top it off he gives us one of his best verses ever over a godly instrumental. What a great start. 9/10

Overall fire song with concept, lyrics are on point, flow on point, last verse is f---ing heat, really can’t praise it enough tbh, overall sick intro to an album. 9.5/10

Rhyme Or Reason

That beat drop in following Em getting shot, and the little police radio detailing the suicide was in the parking lot of K-Mart. The details lol...so much ambition with the start of this album. Flow and voice is just bonkers on this song, nearly flawless. Perfect beat, adlibs and callbacks to old Eminem material. Wow. And the hook is phenomenal rework of an old song and completely sung my Eminem. One of the most underrated songs of his career...top 30 for me. 9.5/10

This use of a sample is so much better than In Your Head or Remind Me lol. He even does an alternate version of the hook, now this is creative instead of lazy. Love how he is first Marshall and the 3rd version shady is behind the mic. Also that 3rd verse has some amazing lyrics and cool stuff (Criminal part for example) and overal a really well written verse, love it. Too bad it also has the Scooby Doo part (which later I learned was from Star Wars) and 'Puke Skywalker'. Stop and go flow is present on some parts but this song is too good to let it bother me. 8/10

I don’t like the hook nor are the verses something that get stuck in my head, song seems average to me neither is it bad (except the hook) nor good. 4/10

So Much Better

Eh, definition of a filler song. Some funny lines here and there like the lesbian one. Beat is good. Not horrible. Lot of very misogynist lyrics I have to say, it feels like genuine Marshall in that regard lol. 5/10

OINK OINK OINK all they good for is DOINK DOINK DOINK!
    I kinda liked this song on first listen back then but it´s pretty bad. Love the bridge, also don´t mind the chorus but this song is so loud and the lyrics don´t do much for me. 5/10

Another one of those “the rap game is cheating on me” track. Never liked them, probably never will like them lol, even tho I like old tracks Em is singing on this one seems odd, 3rd verses he brings it back, very solid verse, but that doesn’t save the whole track. 4/10

Survival

Awful out of place CoD tie in track. Hate the basis of the song and the hook, but the verses are good. Yuck
    6/10

Ugh. Recovery leftover filled with cringe lines and absolutely no good things to say about this. EAT SLEEP PISS AND s---. I GO ACHOO AND ACHIEVE!!!! f--- off. 3/10

Generic radio single, trying to create hype, shouting all over the track, lyrics at times are really not good, then again I like the energy he has, it’s not as bad as everybody makes it to be but it’s not too good either. 5.5/10

Legacy

Look, I'm not gonna let the sausage flying saucer line completely ruin an otherwise good song. 7.5/10

People labeled this as a poppy song but I disagree. It's not as poppy as River or The Monster at least. I think the first 2 verse are really cool, though a bit whiny at times. I like parts of it lot though. The third verse is such a trainwreck from start to finish though and the screaming is also back. This song had so much potential but its absolutely f----- up by that last verse. FLYING SAUCER FULL OF ITALIAN SAUSAGE. SACKS OF DOGSHIT. I like the beat and the concept of using a non-changed voice in the 3rd verse but he ruined that part. Overal not a song I wanna listen to again mostly because of that. 6.5/10

Here and there, you hear lyrics that could have been left out, but as he’s saying, it’s his legacy, really like the content, song sounds good, hook isn’t my case but whatever. 7/10

a------ (ft. Skylar Grey)

Monumentally bad hook and beat, verses are nothing special. 3/10

Actually lyrically this song is not bad at all. The 2nd part of the 3rd verse is great actually. "Only women I love are my daughters, and sometimes I rhyme and it sounds like I forget I'm a father, and I push it further, so father forgive me if I forget to draw the line". Love that part. Also some cringe s--- like the ICP stuff and the lame Asher Roth diss, as well as filler lines and parts bring this down. But the beat, chorus and title make it really not fun to listen to. 5/10

Starts with great energy, shi--ing on the haters/critics is always nice, but on that 2nd verse that high pitched voice part really wasn’t necessary, sounds kinda off. All in all kinda average song. Hook doesn’t really help neither 4/10

Berzerk

Liked this when it first came out. Basically a Beastie Boys tribute song. Hook is still good but the verses don't hold up.
    6/10

This was such a breath of fresh air when this dropped. It has energy, chorus is really great, and I was kinda excited about his Rubin connection. Boy do I regret that now. Anyway the actual verses are pretty bad (especially the 2nd,) but it does have some witty moments that I enjoyed "Woke up in that Monte Carlo, with the ugly Kardashian" and a few others, but then he mentions toe jam right after. Gross. Overal a fun song. 7/10

Was a solid single when it came out, still a solid song, never liked the bridge/pre hook or whatever that is. 7/10

Rap God

Had I known what this song would turn Eminem into, I would've liked it to have never been created. But for this single point in time, it was great and blew everyone away. "6 minutes slim shady, you're on" 8.5/10

Pretty Impressive at first, but it aged terribly. Only parts I really like is when the beat switches up 'Alcohall of fame on the wall of shame' and that part where he does the Columbine lines again. Rest is boring and the fast rapping is nice to impress people but does anyone actually enjoy listening to that? Song is also way too long (Hello Untouchable) so it drags during the end. 6/10

Fast part was the s--- when I heard this the first time but all in all song is just above average imo, too much rappity rap. 6/10

Brainless

Love the production. The progression of the verses and theme to the song is a really good take on his come-up and rise to the number 1 rapper in the world. That last verse is a huge throwback to classic Eminem talking about "provoking queers, evoke tears" and his career being "smoke and mirrors, a stroke of sheer genius". Tons of really good flows and lyrics here.
    8.5/10

d---. After all those years this song is still dope as f---. I love everything about this. He produced this great beat himself if I remember correctly. Verses are raw and he raps very good on this. Flow is nice, voice sounds good. Chorus is really nice except why does he say pain in the anus. If I have to nitpick its that I don't get why he starts to scream at the beginning of the 3rd verse but I like this song so much I can easily get passed that. 9.5/10

Energy on point, solid hook, verses are good as well, straight in your face rap, second verse is lit, s--- is hot 8/10

Stronger Than I Was

Oh well he tried right? 3/10

'Hey this song is kinda similar to Halie's song!' Don't remember who said that but I am 100% sure someone on SL did. Yeah, it has 2 singing verses and a rap verse. Except.. Hailies Song is good and this is garbage. I think the verse is kinda okay-ish, but I don't wanna get through I GET BACK UP AND UUUUGH to hear it. Even if it was great, still not worth it btw. Only day this song is good is on november 31st... *stop the beat* GET IT? 3/10

Too much singing imo, verses aren’t really outstanding either, overall not the best of his works. 4/10

The Monster (ft.Rihanna)

I'll forever clown this song because the beat and hook are literal Disney channel feel good movie soundtrack stuff. On a sequel album to MMLP...not irionically....LOL. The verses are okay. 6.5/10

People complained about this song a lot but it's pretty decent imo. Very average obviously but at least its personal and not about fictional relationships (LTWYL/River). He raps normally on here too. YODELAHIEHOO is really really cringy not gonna lie, and its not a song I would want to listen to on purpose, but then again it has Rihanna. And that can't be bad. Even if it has nothing to do with this, the video for this is really dope and it deserved a much better song. 6/10

Generic radio song imo, besides that, I think it’s solid, slightly better than Survival but nothing too great. 6/10

So Far...

I actually like the intro, a rework of a classic song. The beat is absolutely disgust though...and like thirty seconds in Em is talking about being in a bathroom stall and dropping a football like John Madden. Alright welp 3/10

"Maybe that's why, I can't leave DETROIT. It's the motivation that keeps me GOING. This is the inspiration I need, I can never turn my back on a city that made me". This part alone is more memorable than the other country/rock songs Rubin and Eminem did (Heat/Remind Me). Also love the high pitched intro, which he does again later on, and the beat switches to TRSS and I'm Back are cool af. The downside of course is almost a full verse of taking a s--- and half a verse of picking his nose which is SUCH a shame. This song is filled with witty and interesting parts which alone makes it a lot more intresting than the songs I just mentioned. Not gonna lie, I prefer the sound of 'Heat', but that's it. People hate on this song for good reason, aside from those 2 things it has more cringe worthy stuff, but because of that ignore the fact that there are so many good things about this song, even if they are just little things. 6/10

Lyrics really are cringe in the beginning at times 1st verse isn’t too good imo, 2nd he brings it back imo but again not a too special song imo. 5/10

Love Game (ft. Kendrick Lamar)

I remember, even still being caught in my Stan high following the intro to this album, being really really disappointed that the collab w/ Kendrick is this random trashy love song. Didn't age well at all. I really don't why this song exists-- they could've done literally anything and it would've been hot, but they choose this random filler track. Eminem's last verse has a few cool moments but eh. 5/10

Rappity rap. Let me say at first: another great sample, and used in a great way. Rubin did that so much better on MMLP2 than on Revival. Kendrick and Eminem singing the chorus together is really good to hear too. But yeah the verse, meh. I hate Kendricks phone call part that voice is annoying. Eminems 2nd verse is kinda 'impressive' I guess but yeah listenable is another question. Like some parts of it for example 'more horser than Tori Spellings face' but Kendrick and Eminem could have made a better song than this. I know, this was a fun song. Fine. 5.5/10

Nooooow, I expected those 2 to make a more serious song but they came p with this playful thing, 1st verse is nothing too special, Kendrick got the hook on point, 2nd verse aka Kendrick’s renegade as a lot of Kendrick fans call it, it’s a f---ing fire verse, Kendrick goes innnnn, 3rd verse, Eminem brings it back on 3rd verse, probably recorded it after Kendrick? Whatever, that beat got torn apart, both went f---ing in imo. 8/10 (I accept it if y’all are saying I’m stanning on both of them for this song, not gonna deny it)

Headlights

Very important song in Eminem's career obviously. Was another shock on this record hearing it the first time. I'm sorry, I still can't get over the singer of FUN being on a record named after MMLP, LOL. It's a decent track, a little generic to listen to outside of the subject matter. 7/10

You pulled up in our drive one night as we were leaving to get some hamburgers
    Me, her and Nate, we introduced you, hugged you
    And as you left I had this overwhelming sadness come over me
    As we pulled off to go our separate paths,
    And I saw your headlights as I looked back
    And I'm mad I didn't get the chance to thank you for being my Mom and my Dad

:mjcry:

This song is a beautiful mess (he's a flawed artist I guess). The screaming, the forced lines 'MA I FORGIVE YOU SO DOES NATHAN YO'. Atomic bombs and chemical warfare to describe there relationship is really not needed. But it has a lot of touching moments such as the one I posted above that are truly heartbreaking. Even though its kind of a chore to listen to and the song seems much better on paper, I can get over that this time enough to not let it bring down the rating that much. Also because the 3rd verse by Nate Russ (or is it an outro?) is one of the best things on the whole album. That part is really great. 8/10

Emotional Em, with great raps, a message he wants to get across, hook is really well done as well, content on point, great song, I don’t care what others say lol. 8.5/10

Evil Twin

I'll just put it like this...there are some really dope memorable lines on this song and the beat is good too. The reverse lyrics line (r--- your mother, k--- your parents), and the top 5 line among others. Another good hook performed by Eminem himself. "Evil twin, please come in--" However I do think he could've done the concept more justice tbh. And no one ever mentions it, but that last verse really really trails off and goes nowhere. 8/10

One of the best written songs on here, yet I don't have much desire to go back to this much.
    It has great parts 'what was your name again? HI, fa----' and the more personal stuff 'whats left lady gaga, mess with the bieber?' as well as the things he mentions from the past (mention of NWA etc.) Eminem and Shady going back and forth is an interesting concept and he executed it well here. 7.5/10

Fire verses, fire beat, lyrics on point, best song on the album with Bad Guy, Groundhog Day, Baby and Headlights, s--- really is fire. 9/10

Baby

"What goes through an addicts brain, besides static pain and Big Daddy Kane?" There are some truly excellent flows and lines in this song. Honestly I like the hook, too, and the beat isn't bad either. 8/10

I don't have much to say about this actually. Dope hiphop beat, nice flow, okay lyrics. But that chorus is terrible. NOBODY puts baby in the corner, really? Again kinda impressive but its not a song I go back listening to without a reason. 6.5/10

d---, that opening, flow on point, energy on point, coming up with straight up raps, don’t really like that fast part/double time or whatever but I can ignore that, I dig the hook, 2nd verse he doesn’t lose his energy, great song. 8.5/10

Desperation

Hate the stupid acoustic guitar instrumental and theme of this song. Definitely in the "I will never choose to listen to this" territory. Very awkward song. 4.5/10

UGH. I hate this song. Another I fight with my imaginary girlfriend out of Desperation. It is a little better than some of the others since the storytelling is pretty nice but I don't like this song at all. Also not a fan of the chorus. 5/10

I really dig that hook I don’t even know why but it’s catchy and hot lol but doesn’t really like 2nd verse too much stop and go for my liking, solid song overall. 7/10

Groundhog Day

Believe overrated the s--- out of this when the album came out. It took me awhile to actually get into it compared to everyone else. Looking back on it, it's just alright. The beat gets repetitive fast, but the good parts of his lyrics and lyrics outweigh the mediocre parts of the song. I really like how passionate he gets at points. It's good. 7.5/10

Now this song I love. Eminem flows so smoothly over this great beat. Nice storytelling song about how he started rapping, Proof, Ronnie etc. But it wouldn't be Eminem if he didn't do something to bring it down a little: the last part of the song his smooth voice and flow is gone unfortunately. But then the chorus/outro is pretty nice again. This is definitely one of my favorite songs on this. 8/10

F I R E, always was one of my favorite songs on the album, coming in with the heat, I will never understand why he put Groundhog Day and Baby on the Deluxe and not on the main CD. 9/10

Beautiful Pain (Ft. Sia)

You know, honestly I think it's a really solid hook. Not too overtly poppy but definitely radio friendly and nice to listen to. Eminem's verses are actually really solid too. This song comes off way better than I remember. "That's the only thing keepin you from leapin off the mother freakin....deep end!" is pretty cringey though. Last verse is good. Awesome bridge my Eminem on this one, wow. He did a lot more singing on MMLP2 than people like to give him credit for imo. 7.5/10

Break up song. Some nice poetry, motivational lines, nice chorus. I can't really say bad things about this song but not too many interesting things either. His singing on this is nice btw and Sia dies a good job too. 6.5/10

Good hook, nothing too great, 1st verse seems weak after listening to Groundhog Day but it’s solid, nothing too great but not a bad song neither, maybe too long hook. 6.5/10

Wicked Ways

First things first, I hate the stupid Imagine Dragon sounding hook. I swear half of Eminem's bad tracks would be substantially better if he did his on singing. There's definitely a lot of bad here, but there is a lot of good too. Back when this album came out, this song actually got stuck in my head more than the majority of the album. "In the mean time, it's always mean time" In hindsight it's decent. 7.5/10

Dope beat. Rambling verses but flow is okay, can't even finish this though. 5/10

Hook is bad imo, but verses are good, Eminem hasn’t his best verses neither, some really cringe bars, kinda understandable why it’s on the deluxe, but second verse has some really nice flow passages but then again some parts where he goes back to the stop and go flow, that doesn’t save the track for me lol. 4/10

Don't Front

I may be a little bit biased for this track because I love old Hip Hop and this track definitely has a old feeling. Em's flow is top notch on this one. 8/10

Cool old school beat. Sample/chorus is great too and Eminem uses it well. 'I rather have you whipe my a--- b----'. He also explains a little about the past, how he almost signed somewhere else, I like that. He flows pretty well over this beat, lyrics are okay: some parts are good, some kinda meh. Also he starts rapping fast and messy during the end again. Overal a nice song something different than pop or rock songs. 7/10

Solid song, should have been at least on deluxe but they were too late clearing the sample or whatever, anyways it’s a hot one. 8/10

Big Dangerous: Final thoughts
    Relistening now in comparison to his new music from 2014 onward...this is so much more genuine sounding to me, lyrically. Lot of harsh lyrics that throw back to his early career that go over/under listeners ears. The voice and flow are way more consistent. Remove a few tracks here and there, and it's pretty cohesive too. A general theme of vintage MMLP-era throughout the whole thing too. Took a lot of balls to start out with Stan 2 and name your album after MMLP. It works more often than it doesn't. Honestly the average is lower than I thought it would be, I honestly feel like this is in the 7-7.5 range for me because there is a bulk of the album that I actually enjoy a lot, but a few clunkers bring it down dramatically. Overall 6.6/10

Average 6.33

MMLP2 average score: 6.6

Walk On Water (ft. Beyoncé)

I thought the flow was awkward when it first came out. It's not that bad, just a little disjointed in my opinion. Beyonce's hook is fine, a little bit oversung for my taste but it's not bad. Perfect example of what I don't like about Eminem's modern flow/writing "Will this step/Just be another mis-step/To tarnish whatever love of re-spect/I've garnered...." Hate how he makes normal sentences so weird sounding, and then the lyric at end that just doesn't fit the rhyme scheme. I thought the last verse was pretty good and very emotional. The song is really inciteful. From "there was a time I had the world by the balls eating out my palm" onward is very good. Overall I like this song a lot better now, maybe blame it on the rest of the album? lol 7.5/10

When this single First dropped I didn’t really know what to think. I expected a catchy single that was gonna go all over the radio, but we got this. For people that don’t know Eminem and his story this song is boring as h--- I suppose. But if you do know Eminem and his story, as I do, this is amazing. He mentions his flaws, his insecurities, how hard it is to keep making good music and stay relevant. Great topic and even if I wasn’t sure at first, a song that grew on me a lot and I really like it. I can quote lines from this song but honestly almost every line is quotable. Little do we know he is gonna do all the things he just said his flaws were.. Beyonce hook is amazing, nothing else to say about that. 8/10

When it first came out I didn’t really like it, but it grew on me, sonically it isn’t the best but it creates a kinda unique atmosphere, content is something he needed to get off is chest. 7/10

Believe

Wow. *sweat smiley* this song is sick. The beat, the flawless smooth bouncy flow. That hook is incredible-- 9 times out of 10 when Em does the hook himself its a great song. Eminem killed this s---. KILLED it. Could've been a great intro by itself with a few changes. That last verse is absolutely bonkers. f---.
    Why does he not do that harmonizing thing at the start of verse 3 more? Seriously. Song gets me hyped for the rest of the album. 9.5/10

First of all. Eminem produced this himself. WHY rap over s-----y beats when you can make amazing beats like this yourself (probably with help but still). Eminem over a trap type of beat, last time we got No Favors. This is a million times better, finally. He sounds hungry and confident on his verses, without coming off awkward or talking about raping people. The 3rd verse also proves the man can still rap his a--- off and flow perfectly at the same time. The hook, that’s some prime Eminem level stuff. Also the outro is beautiful. Like MMLP2, the first 2 songs are very promising! 9/10

Em on a trap beat going off, really like the flow in the beginning with ending a bar with high pitched voice, really like the hook, dig the whole song (apart from that snowman line). Overall one of the good rap songs which you can bump. 7.5/10

Chloraseptic (ft. PHRESHER)

Obviously Eminem's ironic take on popular modern rap music. It's effective. Love hearing Eminem do those new-age flows, he did a good job with them. Some ehh lines here and there. He was really onto something leading out of the last verse, I wish that part would've had more room to breathe. 7.5/10

Imo a lesser version of Believe. Still not bad though. Eminem tries different flows on this and while one is better than the other, I kinda like what he does here. Phehser has a good hook. Lyrically not that special, but not bad either. Still mad he cut 2 Chainz of this! 7/10

PHRESHER on the hook really fits, Em sounds fresh as well, kinda still wish there would be a 2Chainz verse but whatever, solid song hook is flames. 7.5/10

Untouchable

Don't like it. The intro sounds really good and he immediately throws it in the trash. Not feeling the beat at all and his vocals are so cringeworthy when he's saying "IT'S BACK INSIDE FOR YEWWWWWWWWWW/YOU BETTER SHOW YOUR HANDDSSSSSSSSSS". I like the beat after the changeup, it's really dope. Decent verse toward the end but probably goes on too long. 6/10

Weird choice for a second single musically. I am not a fan of another Rick Rubin country/rock beat, but luckily Eminem flows very good over this. Also the content is fresh (for him). I do really hate the sample during the chorus. Beat switch is great and that 2nd beat is one of my favorite beats he rapped on last few years. Unfortunately the last 1.5 minute of the song his flow is getting worse and it becomes hard to listen to. If this song was a little shorter I would have given it a higher score. Also, love how he doesn’t really pick a side and acknowledges that there is police brutality, but doesn’t act like a r----- saying ‘all cops are bad’ but admits that the bad cops f--- it up for the good cops. Also he is really good at painting a picture: ‘who seen some video’s of rappers waving guns’. Honestly, musically it’s not as good as it deserves to be, but he actually raps about something and it’s not bad at all either. 6.5/10

First part is way too rocky imo and second verse he drifts into the stop and go flow which doesn’t sound good imo but I appreciate the content and message. 5/10 just because of the content/message

River ft. Ed Sheeran

I'm still not over hearing a track like this on an Eminem album, but you have to accept he's changed. Ed sounds incredible on the chorus tbh. Aaaaaaaaaand it's just a LWTYL template track. The "high suzanne bye suzanne" part is a perfect example of Eminem just being awkward lol. God Ed destroys this hook, sucks that it has to be such a generic song. The end parts of his verse where the beat changes but he keeps going for a few bars before leading into the hook are unacceptable from a music standpoint. 6.5/10

LTWYL meets The Monster. Why? It’s about a relationship that’s not going so well, but it’s really radio friendly. So kind of a combination between to 2. I am kinda sick of these fictional relationship songs though. Luckily Ed Sheeran kills the chorus, and Eminem raps calm over the beat mostly. Altogether this is has potential to be a huge hit. I don’t love it, but it’s a decent pop song that can serve as a successful single. 6/10

I really like this song even tho it is a generic radio single but I like Ed Sheeran and he pulled it off on the hook, really great one but we didn’t expect anything less from him (well at least those who listen to other music outside of rap). Feels like LTWYL pt. 3, content isn’t what I’m looking for when I’m listening to rap tbh but I like the energy and the song in overall. 6.5/10

Remind Me

Well the only positive thing I can say about this song is he rides the f--- out of the beat. Doesn't mean the beat is fun to listen to though. And Eminem's lyrics, yikeesssssssssssssss. What has Rick Rubin done to this man? 4/10

Unlike Rhyme Or Reason or Love Game, this sample is used in such a lazy way and imo serves no real purpose. It’s another So Far type of song except this doesn’t really have interesting things that at least make it interesting. Terrible song, f--- them for messing with this classic. 3/10

wtf? Nah seriously wtf? Waaaay too much rock, waaaay too much pop and waaaaay too few rap, really s--- lyrics at times 2/10

Like Home (ft. Alicia Keys)

Oh god, no. Nooooo....from the start of the song this is such a p---- attempt at an anti-trump anthem. "This type of pickle that we're in is hard to deal!" The hook is actually pretty good now that I've heard it a few times to be honest, I hated it on the first listen. This guy literally spends like 8 bars to set up an "ADOLF/ATE OFFF HITLER" pun. C'mon Marshall lmfao. 5/10

This is what he have all been waiting for! But what exactly is this? It sounds like a motivational song telling us all to STAND UP. The beat, chorus and most of the lyrics make me feel that way. But there are also some Trump disses on here that sound so out of place. I would have preferred a Untouchable type of song with one part being more dark dissing Trump, and a motivational part that is like this song. Honestly though, I like it. Eminem flows great and lyrics are on point. He addresses some important things. Musically it also doesn’t sound bad, obviously Alicia does a great job on here. This kind of song is definitely missing on MMLP 2. 7/10

Again, message and content on point, really like political Eminem, always liked it, Alicia Keys on point on the hook even tho I heard better things of hear, don’t really get the hate in the EmSXN for this one. 7/10

Bad Husband (ft. X Ambassadors)

I just don't understand why, even on a personal track like this where what he's saying obviously is the crutch of the song, he has to flow like this? "UP, backinthenews/LOVE, taps when I dissed you/like it was FUN/actualled usedto/RUN, backtothebooth/JUMP, backinthestu diogiveyoua/TONGUE" It goes on even further but I'll stop there. Can you imagine the impact if he did this hook himself? Just lazy not to in my opinion. The content does make up for it a little bit. 6.5/10

I gave this song like a 5 earlier. Why? Another f---ing fictional relationship song. Until I heard he not only talks about, but even mentions Kim in this song. The lyrics make a lot of sense once you realize its personal and not a random relationship song, and that makes me look at it differently. And, also rate it differently. Not feeling the beat that much and the chorus is on point lyrically but I don’t love it as much as I want to. 7/10

Even tho it’s not my favorite content by Eminem, I think this song is solid, brings a point across, I even like the catchy hook (probably an unpopular opinion around here). Stop and go flow in 1st verse is somewhat off throwing, 2nd verse is really solid even tho he switches to the stop and go flow for a short time, 3rd verse really solid until he switches flow again, good song. solid 6.5/10, touching on a 7 for me

Tragic Endings (ft. Skylar Grey)

I like Skylar's vocals when she says "that I would die for", but other than that they are bad and sound like she has no range at all. The beat change at the end of Skylar's hook was an awful decision to my ears, whoever did that needs to be shot. So another love song...immediately after Bad Husband...really weird sequencing here. This is like Recovery-lite. Nothing to see here at all. 6/10

After a lame intro this beat starts to kick in, d---. I hate Alex da Kid but this beat is nice af. Recovery Eminem is back. Stadium screaming voice, but in this case not in a bad way at all. I like this song. Again a f---ing relationship song though.. what is his obsession with this? It’s a nice song to listen to but unlike some other songs on this album it’s not a song you will appreciate more after more spins, because you don’t hear things you haven’t on earlier listens. Skylar’s hook is really nice on this! 7/10

We already have Bad Husband, there was no reason to have this song in here imo, even tho Em starts his verse with energy and the flow experiments sound good, the track overall sounds off/seems not necessary, hook isn’t really standing out too much or anything, it’s something that is just here. 3/10

FRAAAMED

I'm not a fan of Relapse and horrorcore. This beat is groovy though, really good tbh. I just can't listen to this first verse and Em rapping with this weird cringeworthy flow and enjoy it sorry lol. Em was here to do SANK RAYPAERZ!!! The hook is pretty cool. You know what, it isn't that bad if I really try to appreciate what he's attempting to do. 7/10

Yeah so this is what Eminem would have sounded like on Relapse without the accents. Beat is very Relapse-like, same as the content. This is what a lot of people wanted right? Relapse without the accent? Yes and no. It’s cool to hear, but I don’t want a f---ing serial killer song from a father in his mid 40’s. And even so, he did this much better with Same Song and Dance imo (also a better beat). Speaking of the beat, it’s one of the best on this album but I don’t think I would put it on the top half on Relapse. The hook on this is very very cringy btw. Eminem flows nice on this song for most of it but I don’t know, it really feels out of place on this except if you accept that this is a collection of his different styles I guess. 5/10

As people know, Relapse is a guilty pleasure of mine, and this song kinda brings those vibes back, really liked the song, the playing hook, solid verses, really dig that Ivanka Trump line, the part where the beat is cut is also nice change, all in all good song. 7.5/10

Nowhere Fast (ft. Kehlani)

Yeah, very bad pop radio sounding hook. The beat is actually pretty nice with the orchestra sound. This album has like two cheap pop sounds too many already lol. What is he thinking? These verses may have worked if the track had a different theme and hook but with the way it is, it just comes off as disjointed and awkwardly paired together. 4.5/10

I was very excited when I saw the ‘Good Life’ singer featured on Eminems album. And she delivered. I love her hook. I got this stuck in my head since the album dropped and I haven’t been annoyed by it so far. On the first Eminem verse he literally stops the beat a few times and his flow, but I don’t really mind it on this song. His lyrics are on point for the whole song and the 2nd verse I enjoy a lot. But then suddenly, on a what seems random pop song, he does the bridge himself. Beautiful! Okay the lyrics are kinda lame for that bridge but I like singing Eminem a lot. Definitely one of my favorite songs on this. 8/10

Contrary to the popular opinion around here, I really like the hook, Em verses have some outstanding moments like the Kim Jong Un part but just a few outstanding lyrics are not enough imo, overall seems to be kinda average song. 5/10

Heat

Ah great, another white trash cringey Rick Rubin sounding song. Ah, he's doing a decent job riding the beat again for what it is. He had four years to make an album and a MULTIPLE trashy songs fantasizing about women make the cut. "why you think they call it a snatch?" "f--- it I'm the mail, letter come to me!" "said my d-ck is an apple, she said put it inside her!" I'm sorry I can't take it I just can't 2/10

A slightly better version of Remind Me. Another So Far type of song with a rock/country type of beat. This song is way less cringe worthy than Remind Me and the hook is catchy as f---. It’s another song about a girl, and I was like yeah okay until he talks about computers in vagina’s and calling his d-ck an apple. There aren’t parts on this like picking his nose for half of a verse or taking a s--- but then again there aren’t interesting parts on this as well except for the hook. It sounds nice, I’ll give it that, and Eminem raps nice over this beat like Koolo mentioned. But I can’t listen to this in public with lyrics like that. 5/10

f--- off, there was a time where Em could really emerge rock and rap and put out rap song of the century that way but c’mon what is that, hook is kinda catchy in the beginning but still what the f--- is that? It’s on par with Remind me, not necessary 3/10

Offended

This song is like Right For Me part 2 but has an even more s--- chorus. Hurts my ears to hear this relentless sporadic flow
    "s----s ON BRAH, IV ANKA, STIFF AHM HA, WHILE IM HITTIN ON, MIL LANIAAAAA" Nope nope nope
    fart and sniff it do a dab in his arm and sniff it 2/10

I can’t finish this song sorry. Rappity rap, rambling, s--- production. EVERYBODY EAT MY TURDS. This is worse than Stronger Than I Was and Survival for sure. I feel…. 2/10

Finally another stop and go flow song yaaaaay smh lol, really wants Trump to respond to him, even tho I mentioned I liked the other political songs, this isn’t really political nor is it really a song, I mean it seems kinda dull, doesn’t it? I dig the hook (I know I am strange) still a 3/10

Need Me (ft. Pink)

Wow I actually forgot this song existed. It's literally a Pink song lmao....remember he literally had four years and this makes the cut on the album. Another generic track about a troubled love. Dude had MAJOR writers block over these few years, he and Paul have downplayed it but it's so obvious. "I'm swimmin in that egyptian river cause I'm in denial" you're in denial if you think this album is good 3/10 I guess? Idk

Yeah so people call this a Pink ft. Eminem song, which is spot on. But even if it was on Pinks album, it wouldn’t make it any less terrible. I think Pink is pretty good, but this song is so whiny and not fun to listen to at all. Production sucks and the hook, ughh. Then Eminem verse comes in, yikes. His voice sounds whiny and I am honestly getting tired of relationship problems type of songs. 2/10

Nice P!nk song, oh wait we are rating an Em album, right? Fuckk off with that song, it’s something that might have been on P!nks album and I wouldn’t mind at all, verse isn’t even thaaaat bad neither but still, we don’t need those kind of songs on the album 3/10

In Your Head

This sample is brilliant. Wish he would've did more with the chorus and this could've been something truly special imo. Nothing you can really complain about here, really solid all around. 8/10

I will get a lot of s--- for this, but I don’t like the song that is sampled. I got over it since I really like Eminems first verse on this and the beat. He raps calm, lyrics are good, nice. Many people praise the 2nd verse on this I’ve seen. I guess it’s kinda impressive what he does, and I have no complaints about the lyrics but… HAILIE, BABY, SHADY, seper-ATING, LADIES, MAIN reason. His screaming works on several songs, but on a calm beat like this I can’t stand it. Definitely not a bad song at all though. 6/10

I don’t really mind the hook, it’s not even that bad, 1st verse is on point, good all in all, but 2nd verse he goes to his stop and go flow, other than that stop and go flow, song would have been really good, content is good too, second verse makes this song average to me 5/10

Castle

The crown jewel of this record. Beat is eerie and the melody on the hook is infectious. And of course the content is there too, very good concept. Definitely prime Eminem material here. Really personal and well done record. 9.5/10

Relapse had Déjà vu. Recovery had Going Through Changes. MMLP2 had Bad Guy. Revival has Castle. From the moment the intro/chorus started I had a good feeling about this song. It’s by far my favorite beat on this album, thank you Khalil. ‘Welcome to mum and dad’s crazy world’. Both the girl and Eminems part of the chorus are amazing. Concept of this song is so good, and the execution is perfect for once as well. I love Brainless, and I love Bad Guy, but at this moment I’ll talke this song over both. Maybe time will change it, but this song is amazing. Also great how he ends this song taking pills but set things right in the next song. 10/10

Content, content, content, he really brought it back, I don’t care whether this is an old song or not, this s--- is hot. This really goes in, emotion, flow, lyrics, content, skill everything, chill hook, we need more songs like this, best song with Arose on this album imo 10/10

Arose

Awesome sequel to Castle. I like the concept and you can tell he spent a lot of time on this one. So much emotion...wish I could've heard this on the rest of the album, on those love songs. It would've made them come off way less generic tbh. This is a good song. The rewinding to Castle at the last part was good, I like how he ended the album. 8.5

So we just learned Eminem took some pills and he’s in the hospital now. We get an emotional Eminem telling how he feels being there. Both his thoughts and the things he sees/experiences. His voice reminds me of When I’m Gone. This song is beautiful. He tells everyone he loves goodbye and he’s ready to leave this world. But then suddenly he decides: no. I don’t want to die, I want to fight. He rewinds back to ‘Castle’ right up until the point where he took the pills and he flushes them through the toilet. He tells us once again he’s back and done with his self pity. And that is when Revival ends and he is… Revived. 9/10

I really can just copy and pasta what I said on Castle but this one is even more emotional, f---ing great song, he really blessed us with those 2 songs, even got the chills listening to those 2 songs, really emotional 10/10

Final thoughts

I will say the average came out a lot higher than I thought it would lol. This is not indicative of how much I gained from the album...there are less tracks I'll ever come back to or choose to listen to again compared to MMLP2. I think this album is just consistently mediocre all around. The album takes an absolute nosedive after Chloraseptic for me and is just awful until it gets saved by it's final act (In My Head, Castle, Arose). I think people are overrating the parts of the album they enjoy because they're so good in comparison to how bad the bad parts of the album are. Average 5.6

So this album really is all over the place. The songs I rated 6 or 7 are growers so they might get higher. But I can also get tired of them, no idea. Average 6.32

Going with the ratings of each song, this album might seem to get a high-ish overall score, but the album as a whole kinda seems not fitting all in all, it seems too experimental (I know that was the point but still). Album is all over the place. Average score 5.8

There seems to be one thing we all agree on. MMLP2 > Revival. Difference is that Big Dangerous and Freestyle got a pretty huge difference and for me its only 0.01. Freestyle's opinion on ROR is very different from me and BD, and my opinion on Nowhere Fast is different than theirs. BD likes Rap God more than we do.

Other than that we kind of have the same songs as lows, as well as high points (with some exceptions obviously). Both albums are painfully average in full, also brought down by some terrible songs. Both however have some gems as well.

Up to you guys, thoughts? @EminemSXN

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Dec 17, 2017
    d--- Mike missed the chance to be red white and blue like Em's cover

afghaniStan, Buddha, Ricky and 6 others like this.
    afghaniStan, Buddha, Ricky and 6 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. SubwaySam

Dec 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

Lil Squeed, NotPaulR, Elkei and 5 others like this.
    Lil Squeed, NotPaulR, Elkei and 5 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Dec 17, 2017
    it's ok tho :banderas:

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 17, 2017
    White kinda s-----y w people having day theme

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 17, 2017
    I meant we 3

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Zebedee

Zebedee Banned

Dec 17, 2017
    not worth the tag at all. Ban these MFers

Lil Squeed, NotPaulR, Ids5621 and 7 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy I roll up like the bottom of a toothpaste tube.

Dec 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

NotPaulR likes this.
    NotPaulR likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. reesey

reesey What You Looking At This For?

Dec 17, 2017
    I could give an opinion if I could f---ing read it

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Hard Klyntar

Dec 17, 2017
    you tagged the whole section just to diss Revival...prepare for your demise
    @Koolo
    you know what to do

jmillithauglybasedgod likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. sxneighty123

Dec 17, 2017
    rainbow text gave me cancer

Mar 28, 2024
  12. CSA

CSA Architect

Dec 17, 2017
    Ratings are a bit low in overall. Legacy is very underrated by all of u and some of the songs were underrated too. Brainless and Legacy at least 9/10.
    On Revival, First 4 songs shouldn't be lower than 7.5 at least. Very underrated. I don't know how Walk on Water is lower than 9/10. Only flaw u can say is that khakis line.
    Also, Arose is 10/10 song easily.

Even some of the songs like Castle u say nothing negative about but u don't give it 10/10. Well, who cares anyway.

All in all, don't agree with some of the ratings here and also think it's too early to compare the 2. MMLP2 is 4 years old and Revival is brand new. But I predict I'll be rating Revival higher in the future. MMLP2 had unlistenable a------ and the beats like Love Game's I hate. Revival's production was alot better to me and it flows beautifully. Even the weakest songs like Remind Me was very fun to listen to thanks to the beat.

Michael Myers and Freestyle like this.
    Michael Myers and Freestyle like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Freestyle

Dec 17, 2017
    I'd agree up to the point Untouchable comes on, that is not a 7.5 for me, atm at least

But I think a comparison isn't that bad at all because a lot of people said Revival was straight up s--- and his worst album and what not, it's nice to see what you think of a 4 years old album compared to the one that just came out and everybody is shi--ing on
    I thought or hoped this thread would spark some conversation but it literally seems like this SXN emptied out since the album dropped, I thought everybody would be at least talking about the album but guess not

Buddha, Michael Myers and CSA like this.
    Buddha, Michael Myers and CSA like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Groovy Tony

Groovy Tony Grandma's baby Eddie Kane

Dec 17, 2017
    Can't wait to read all of this when i get home nice collaborative idea and effort

Mar 28, 2024
  15. Sav Stanfield

Dec 17, 2017
    nice write up. agree with most, would just give much lower ratings all round for both projects. But yeah MMLP2> Revival and its not even close.

Mar 28, 2024
  16. Holy Water

Dec 17, 2017
    Not tag worthy and that green text is hard as s--- to read.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. Big Dangerous

Dec 17, 2017
    Bunch of day theme f--s itt

Buddha, Michael Myers and Freestyle like this.
    Buddha, Michael Myers and Freestyle like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Macca

Macca @

Dec 17, 2017
    @Big Dangerous I apologize for thinking bad things about you. dope review.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. pluto✰

pluto✰ where the opioids?

Dec 17, 2017
    some of them revival scores way too high (i.e. the alicia keys joint..)

agree with most of the mmlp points/ratings though. don’t front and brainless both easy 10’s for me

monster always been a strong no for me & i guess so much better is my guilty pleasure? lol

Enigma, Michael Myers and Freestyle like this.
    Enigma, Michael Myers and Freestyle like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. Do D

Do D ex-noga

Dec 17, 2017
    revival grew on me a little but the MMLP2 hate is getting boring, clearly the better album here

@Big Dangerous @Michael Myers @Freestyle good read lads, def could relate to many point each of you made

Mar 28, 2024