Eminem Street Prophet's Totally Way Too Thought Out Review of Eminem's 9th Studio Album Revival

Started by Street Prophet, Dec 14, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Street Prophet

Street Prophet my takes are 100% facts at all times

Dec 14, 2017
    I edited this to just be my review, the OP i made was way too long. What follows is my subjective opinion about Eminem's Revival. If you like it I am happy you do, if you hate it, I understand that as well. This review comes after approximately 7-8 full start-to-finish playthroughs of the album.

REVIEW

1. Walk on Water (featuring Beyoncé)
    • Produced by Rick Rubin & Skylar Grey
    • The debut single for the album came just when fans started to lose hope in any music coming soon. After multiple posts about oddly timed merch for “Stan” and the 8 Mile 15th anniversary collaboration with Carhartt, many lost hope music was coming soon.
    • The song itself was written by Skylar Grey, which really surprised me as its hook is a beautiful exposition of both humbleness and weakness. I personally haven’t listened to much of Grey’s discography, but this is definitely the best thing she’s written for Eminem.
    • In contrast to what some think, I think the lack of drums on this song is a good thing. The beautiful piano beat gives it a melancholy feel that really drives home the fragility displayed in the song. It also helps to elevates Beyoncé’s vocals above the track. The decision to stay with just the piano and strings is what differentiates this track from songs like Guts Over Fear. It’s a new sound for Eminem and one I had hoped he would do more of throughout the album.
    • Focusing on Eminem’s parts of the song, a big criticism of this song is his stop and start flow being incredibly prevalent. However, as I think Mr. Porter confirmed in an interview, this is definitely intentional. Everything from the corny line in the first verse about “the pressure increases like khakis” is very intentional. The song follows a progression where the first verse seems to be one of these verses that Eminem isn’t happy with at all. During the first chorus, you hear him call it “s---” and crumple paper up.
    • He sounds very out of breath various parts of the song, which again adds to the weakness on display in the song, driving home the point that he’s “human just like you”.
    • He sounds defeated, he sounds like he realizes he’s close to losing his fans if he doesn’t do something about it.
    • Overall I think this is one of his best songs in years, and a definite highlight on the album. I had this opinion when the single dropped and I remain certain in saying this is an 8/10.
    2. Believe
    • Produced by Alex da Kid
    • This is an interesting track. Picking up directly where Walk on Water ends, Believe continues the theme of garnering his fan’s acceptance, but in a much more aggressive way. Although the flow on this song seems to start really slow and really bad, around halfway through the first verse it picks up into a pretty decent flow.
    • The hook enters with a vicious question asking the world if we still believe in the underdog from 8 Mile. I really think this is one of his better hooks of recent, the vocals are layered and they get right to the point about how if his fans leave him now he’ll come back twice as hard to prove them wrong.
    • The production on this track really surprises me. Alex da Kid who gets a very bad reputation from his work with Eminem (On tracks such as a------, Desperation, and others). The beat is a relatively modern sound that really accents Em’s flow which really gets going in the third verse.
    • This definitely is one of the best songs on this album, he flows really well, and maintains a great level of technicality while touching on just the right amount of content.
    • Overall I would give this track a 7.5/10 and say it’s a great sound for modern Eminem.
    3. Chloraseptic (featuring Phresher)
    • Produced by Mr. Porter
    • The song that was allegedly supposed to have 2 Chainz on the hook until he didn’t understand that the album was supposed to be relatively secret.
    • Em’s flow on this is relatively good, it’s over a really modern beat and really works well, its jarring but quite amazing to see him adapt to modern flow conventions and utilize ad-libs with relative effectiveness.
    • My main gripe with the track is the chorus. Sung by Brooklyn’s PHRESHER, is a relatively decent hook in itself. But I can’t help but think that 2 Chainz or even someone like Travis Scott or A$AP Rocky could’ve provided a much more pleasant delivery. Not that PHRESHER’s delivery is terrible, his voice is just grating and rather rough which contrasts heavily with the relatively smooth and simple instrumental.
    • Overall this is a more or less what I was hoping for when 2 Chainz told the world that “Marshall Likes Trap Music”. I think if Em did an album with a good mix of this sound, Believe, and Walk on Water, the modern audience would be much more accepting of it in the current scape of hip-hop.
    • This song while being less of an Eminem track is equally as entertaining as Believe while being an appealing track that I could really see myself replaying often. 7.5/10
    4. Untouchable
    • Produced by Mr. Porter, Emile Haynie, Mark Batson, Eminem
    • This song really set the bar low for the album and is more or less the beginning of the decline in the album.
    • The message, while definitely an important topic in today’s society, I think wasn’t said in the most effective way. While I do enjoy the duality of having both perspectives voiced in the song, it just seems like a bad way of executing a terrific concept. For example, Joyner Lucas released the song I’m Not Racist weeks before this which tackled very similar topics while voicing both perspectives in the situation. The difference is, he does it in a very tasteful way that sounds very good. I understand the idea of using a rock beat to represent the type of cop that Em is rapping about, but it’s just poor execution. It’s a great message, but it’s a terrible song, it simply does not sound good.
    • The 2nd half is decent, the beat isn’t anything special but it’s not bad by any means. The real tragedy of this track is that Em flows really well over the trashy in-your-face rock beat and then does a really stop-start flow over the second beat. 3/10.
    5. River (featuring Ed Sheeran)
    • Produced by Emile Haynie
    • I’m going into this by saying I was really looking forward to this collaboration. UNTIL I WATCHED THAT INTERVIEW ED DID ABOUT IT. Paul called this dude up and just told him to send in something??? Why did Em and Ed not work in the same studio at the same time. I feel like that’s a big problem with a lot of Em’s collaborations.
    • Ed’s singing on this is terrific as it usually is on his other material. But the hook just falls flat for what a collaboration between these two should be.
    • The beat and overall subject matter just gives me flashbacks to Love The Way You Lie. Not that it’s a bad thing, if anything I really prefer this song to LTWYL, its much less poppy and radio-y. But I just feel like I’ve heard this content before Em.
    • Em’s verses are alright, the flow is nothing special. The main problem is its Em rapping about what sounds like a hypothetical relationship. The passion of other relationship tracks he’s made just isn’t here. 6.5/10
    6. Remind Me (Intro)
    • Not much I can say about this track. Its short, pointless, and doesn’t really introduce you to Remind Me at all. The intro sounds way better and way more interesting than what you get 26 seconds later.
    • I mean I feel like rating this track just is pointless cause it’s barely a track. It sounds pleasant but is misleading. 4/10. Too short.
    7. Remind Me
    • Produced by Rick Rubin
    • Before I even saw the production credits I could’ve told you this was produced by Rick “Turn It Up To 11” Rubin. Everything about this song is cringe.
    • The hook is bad, the sample is awful, and the mixing is tragic.
    • Em’s flow is alright. Not many good things to say about this song at all. Its easily the worst on the album. The sample is just so terrible and it sounds like your listening to I Love Rock & Roll through Rick Rubin’s a---.
    • 1/10.
    8. Revival (Interlude)
    • Produced by Frequency & Aalias
    • One of the best sounding things on this album. Only it doesn’t belong on this album at all. It has no Eminem on it, it barely fits the albums theme (if you could even say thing album has a theme).
    • The production on here is really good, and it sounds great. It’s like Em knew that we needed something to cleanse our palette after Remind Me so he put something nice on here.
    • 5/10. Would be higher if it was relevant on the EMINEM album that it is on.
    9. Like Home (featuring Alicia Keys)
    • Really generic uplifting beat and hook that really makes me wonder why Em chose this of all tracks to call out Trump.
    • This is easily the most obvious generic hook on this whole album. Alicia Keys, is a beautiful vocalist, but it really just doesn’t belong with the verses Em spits.
    • Em’s flow is pretty good here. His lyrics really make me question if he has anything good to say about Trump. He calls the man Adolf Hitler, like that’s probably the more 4th grade insult he could’ve written.
    • 2/10.
    10. Bad Husband (featuring X Ambassadors)
    • I actually dig this track a little. The hook could’ve been way better but the X Ambassadors weren’t horrible. I really think this is one of his better “confessional” tracks. It gives me Headlights vibes where he makes peace with Kim. In fact, I think this song made me realize just how much he really loves Kim.
    • The production is bad. I just don’t think the rock/country-esque sound that X Ambassadors seem to do fits with this love song for Kim.
    • His flows pretty good on this one.
    • 6.5/10
    11. Tragic Endings (featuring Skylar Grey)
    • This song really feels like a Recovery leftover. Everything from his delivery to the content just screams that uplifting “inspirational” theme he had for all of 2010.
    • If this was on Recovery I would probably appreciate it a lot more. It’s just jarring for him to regress to that sound now.
    • His flows really good here, as it was on Recovery, it’s just he’s shouting like he was on Recovery.
    • The Skylar Grey hook is really boring but doesn’t make me hate this track. It feels like a pretty good track that could grow on me.
    • The beat is pretty simple too, but it’s pretty decent for being Alex da Kid.
    • 4.5/10
    12. Framed
    • Produced by ???
    • Ok now were talking. Definitely a high point in the barren wastelands that are tracks 6 – 16 on here.
    • His flow is great, his voice is the really expressive and he really hits that Relapse flow just like it’s 2009 again.
    • To be 100% honest if he put this on Relapse in place of Insane, that album would’ve been close to a classic.
    • The production is really good. I think the eerie synth really just hits perfectly.
    • Bonus point for the Toronto Blue Jays shoutout.
    • Hook is a little cheesy but I mean it fits the song pretty well.
    • 7/10
    13. Nowhere Fast (featuring Kehlani)
    • Produced by ???
    • Really surprised with this one. I didn’t think it would be so great.
    • Obviously Kehlani’s voice is great on here.
    • The flow really reminds me of a 2010/2011 era Eminem. Kind of like Take From Me in my opinion.
    • The content is alright, theres some cheesy lines but I also have been enjoying this one more than most of it.
    • The 2nd verse is insane. Like really great.
    • I think the track suffers from a relatively forgettable hook.
    • 6/10
    14. Heat
    • Produced by Rick Rubin
    • Someone needs to tell Rick he’s old enough and made enough money to retire.
    • Seriously this^
    • I think it’s got some good bars. But again, that rock beat just makes it so hard to listen to without getting a headache.
    • Bonus point for this line: “Lady, you remind me of my raps on that Relapse s---, ‘Cause you got an a--- thick as them accents.”
    • Remember when Em used to say “Yo Dre, man” on the track instead of shouting out Rick Rubin.
    • 3/10
    15. Offended
    • Produced by illa Da Producer
    • This is some track is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a long time. It’s like Shady XV meets Right For Me meets the bad tracks from Encore.
    • His flow starts off bad, gets interesting, but then he just stops using that flow and moves onto some other weird flow.
    • The production on this is really odd and I want to know if Illa Da Producer sent this to Em or if Em asked for something like this.
    • The production during the verses is really good and I wish he had a better flow for it. The real issues come around when he says “This blonde f---”.
    • Also, this carnival-esque hook just doesn’t work at all. It takes me out of the song right away. The 2nd verse is really bad, he starts to sound like a robot.
    • The real highlight on here is during the third verse when he goes off with the flow.
    • 2/10.
    16. Need Me (featuring Pink)
    • The only good part of this is Em’s verse. Too bad he only has one verse on the thing. It’s like he made two songs for Pink’s album and she was like “Hey I’m only going to use one of these Marshall so you should take this one and put it on your album!”.
    • Em’s verse is pretty good, I mean again its generic relationship content but his flow is pretty good and he sounds good on it.
    • The beat sounds really good, I just wish there was more Eminem content on this Eminem song.
    • The hook isn’t bad at all, it’s probably the best Pink has sounded on one of these Pink & Eminem collaborations, but it’s a d--- Pink song on an Eminem album.
    • One thing I can say with certainty is that moms are going to love this song. I know my mom will!
    • 4/10, not enough Eminem to justify it being on this album.
    17. In Your Head
    • Produced by Scram Jones
    • This is where the album goes upward again. The Cranberries sample on here is really great.
    • The production is really excellent, Scram did a terrific job.
    • Em’s flow is kind of choppy on this but the content is really interesting on this one.
    • He casually mentions how this could’ve been his victory lap but was on the verge of relapse. Possibly just a throwaway line to set the theme for the closing tracks.
    • The song is definitely going to be forgotten due to the 2 tracks that come after.
    • The confessions Em makes on this track about seeing himself as greedy and bitter are rather new cause until now he’s always said he does it for his love of hip-hop.
    • 7/10
    18. Castle
    • Produced by
    • I can’t sum up how I feel about this track enough. Everything about this song is leagues above the rest of the album.
    • The storytelling alone is at a level of quality that we haven’t seen in Em in a while.
    • I really like how it moves from the pre-fame Em to 2007 Em. Cause those were the only times he had time for Hailie and his kids. He didn’t have time to think about her in while he was blowing up with SSLP, in Amsterdam working on MMLP, or filming 8 Mile and handling beef around TES.
    • The content is the most personal Em has been in a long time. Like since Going Through Changes or Beautiful.
    • My one complaint is that this and Arose should have really be grouped together into one long track.
    • Easily a 9/10 track, this is one of Em’s best songs in a very long time.
    19. Arose
    • Produced by
    • This song is a heart-wrenching exposition of the thoughts and worries that were going through Em’s head in 2007 when he was 2 hours from dying.
    • The song starts with him voicing his regrets about drug abuse from the get-go. Em’s delivery is in an almost restrained and struggling shout. As if he’s conscious in the hospital but can’t speak or move.
    • The singing in the background is a beautiful touch to this track. It really accents the feelings of the song as a whole.
    • There are so many highlights on this song. This is the most real emotional we’ve seen from Eminem in a long time.
    • His voice sounds perfect for the song. You can really hear the pain in the idea of missing Hailie Jade’s birthday or missing Christmas with his girls. Or the pain when he realizes he may not get the chance to walk Hailie down the aisle or see her graduate.
    • To me this is as if Difficult and Going Through Changes were combined. As much about this song is about Em’s relationship with his daughter, it’s equally about his struggles with drugs.
      • When he recounts having to live in a house with pictures of Proof and not being able to function after his death is really well done.
      • He loved Proof more than anyone and this song is just as much about him dying as it was about Em almost dying.
    • The reversal back into the Castle verse was shocking. It was a great moment that to me is on par with the beat switch in Bad Guy.
    • Em’s flow was perfect, it was just out of breath sounding to really portray the feeling of him dying. And then he comes back in triumphantly for the last verse on the Castle beat.
    • Overall if Stan isn’t the song isn’t the song that people use as a gauge for Em’s storytelling, it should almost certainly be Castle/Arose that is used.
    • The production is beautiful and not overly complicated.
    • 9.5/10.
    Overall, I give the album a 6.5/10 as a whole package. There was certainly a classic somewhere in here but it got lost in a flurry of trying to appeal to everyone and featuring friends (Pink, Skylar). Eminem’s Revival is by no means his 4:44 but I would say that’s an unfair comparison. Jay and Em have lived very different lives and have never really rapper similarly. Em only really kept a style for SSLP and MMLP. TES was a new sound, Encore was similar but not as good. Relapse was a new sound. Recovery was a new sound. MMLP2 was a new sound for a lot of songs. It makes sense that Revival is new sound for Em. Which is why the songs like Tragic Endings and Framed hurt this tracklisting so much, because he’s rehashing things we’ve heard in an attempt to have something for all his fans. I think this album may receive some hate initially but I also think people will come to like it more as time goes on and people look back at it. If he limited it to 10 tracks it probably could’ve been his best album since TES, but theres just so much filler.

In terms of if it’s his worst album, I won’t say it is, because all his albums have merit to them. I’d say this is a step above MMLP2 in terms of replayability. And the highs for me are higher than Encore highs but at the same time the lows are definitely some of the lowest of his career.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Ezio926

Ezio926 EMINEM SUCKS

Dec 14, 2017
    Did you just steal my op?

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Holy Water

Dec 14, 2017
    What the f---:srsguy:

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Street Prophet

Dec 14, 2017
    Gave a little more context then u were giving

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Street Prophet

Dec 14, 2017
    I agree now it was too similar to OP so i cut it to just the review

Mar 28, 2024
  6. reesey

reesey What You Looking At This For?

Dec 14, 2017
    FOD d--- n----- YOU NEVER SAID IT WAS THIS LONG JESUS CHRIST FFS

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Street Prophet

Dec 14, 2017
    I shortened it too lmao :stan:

Mar 28, 2024
  8. SpursandGermany100

SpursandGermany100 DMX is a G.O.A.T

Dec 14, 2017
    I disagree with some of the extreme high ratings with my 1 listen
    but ill take another listen when it comes out on tidal in a few hours then itll be easier to review

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy I roll up like the bottom of a toothpaste tube.

Dec 14, 2017
    So many words.....

[​IMG]

Mar 28, 2024
  10. fezzer

Dec 14, 2017
    The castles part of Arose sounded like a f--- you im doing it how I want. And then proceeds to rap in his recent ways, which is s---. Castles part 1 and Arose are f---ing goat, and castles part 2 is wank.

And the rest of the album is s---- half decent. In your head was good rest was crap.

Mar 28, 2024
  11. Street Prophet

Dec 14, 2017
    had a lot to say

Mar 28, 2024
  12. Street Prophet

Dec 14, 2017
    I agree that Castles pt 2 is worse than pt 1 for sure but i ain't too mad, its a good ending

Mar 28, 2024
  13. ohhbhav

Dec 14, 2017
    I agree with most of this review.

HIGHLY disagree with replacing Insane from Relapse... Insane was amazing to me lol.

Mar 28, 2024
  14. Street Prophet

Dec 14, 2017
    Be sure to update! I'm interested!

Mar 28, 2024
  15. SpursandGermany100

Dec 14, 2017
    @Street Prophet remind me

Mar 28, 2024
  16. Street Prophet

Dec 18, 2017
    reminder

SpursandGermany100 likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. stzenit94

Dec 18, 2017
    Good review, largely similar to mine including average rating

Mar 28, 2024
  18. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 18, 2017
    this broke my monitor

I read some of this earlier on my phone, good review. Well done.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. SpursandGermany100

Dec 18, 2017
    Really sorry bro but thanks for reminding me
    Yeah I took a 2nd listen and the experience was worse like really worse.
    Only 3 songs were fully playable this time(Interlude , Castle and Arose)

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024