TV Mr. Robot to End With Season 4

Started by Sav Stanfield, Aug 29, 2018, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Aug 29, 2018
    Source

The series will conclude in 2019 with what sources say is an expanded 12-episode order.

The end of the road for USA Network's critical hit Mr. Robot is in sight: the previously announced fourth season of the Sam Esmail-created drama starring Rami Malek will be its last. The network-defining series will begin production in the winter in New York for a premiere in 2019, meaning the drama will have been off the air for more than a year when the final season debuts.

Season four, announced in December 2017, was originally set to feature another cycle of eight episodes (its lowest order to date) but sources say that order has now been expanded to 12 (which mirrors its sophomore run). Sources say producers including Esmail toyed with the idea of plotting out a fifth season.

The fourth season writing schedule was split in two in order to accommodate Esmail's work on Amazon's Julia Roberts drama Homecoming, which like Mr. Robot is produced by Universal Cable Productions. The Mr. Robot writers' room was moved to New York where they were poised to finish season four and break all of a potential fifth season. Ultimately, those close to the show decided to increase the order for what is now the fourth and final season of the hacker drama.

"When I first created the world of Mr. Robot, I thought it would be a niche television series with a small, cult following. Over the past three years, it has become so much more, and I am continually humbled by the show’s recognition and by the amazing cast and crew that work tirelessly to help bring my vision to life," Esmail said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "Since day one, I’ve been building toward one conclusion — and in breaking the next season of Mr. Robot, I have decided that conclusion is finally here. Everyone on the creative team, including the amazing people at USA and UCP, didn't want to say goodbye, but we ultimately have too much respect for Elliot's journey to extend past its inevitable ending. Therefore, season four will serve as the final chapter of the Mr. Robot story. To fans of the show: thank you for the past three years, and I can't wait to share this exciting final season with you."

The decision to wrap Mr. Robot with season four should come as little surprise given Esmail has never had a long-term vision for the series. "I've always said it's four or five seasons, and I've said that because I think it's somewhere in between," Esmail told THR after the season three finale in December. "Whether that means the next two seasons are two short seasons, or it could technically still be two full 10-episode seasons, we're still kind of figuring that out. It's something the writers' room and I take very seriously. We never want to feel like we're treading water. Hopefully it fits into two more seasons, but we're trying to figure out that number."

Never a ratings breakout — the season three finale wrapped with a series-low 450,000 same-day viewers — Mr. Robot helped USA Network rebrand from its former "Blue Skies" brand of uplifting procedurals to a darker and edgier fare (along the lines of current hits The Sinner, Queen of the South and its upcoming Bourne spinoff Treadstone) in a bid to court millennials. The series took off as a critical sensation in season one, scoring an early second-season renewal on the day of its premiere and a lucrative overall deal for Esmail with UCP. Esmail opted to direct every episode of season two as critics suggested his tight grasp on the series was partially to blame for the show's sophomore slump. Still, the series earned a Peabody Award and netted star Malek an Emmy win for lead actor in a drama as the series also scored a nomination for best drama.

"From the beginning, Mr. Robot proved to be a show unlike any other on television, capturing the zeitgeist of our modern times with a unique point of view and definitive vision,” USA Network president Chris McCumber said. "Working with Sam and the entire cast and crew has been nothing short of incredible — and we can’t wait to reveal the complete Mr. Robot story."

Esmail, meanwhile, next has Amazon's Julia Roberts drama Homecoming and USA Network drama pilot Briarpatch, starring Rosario Dawson, in the works. Esmail — with his wife, actress Emmy Rossum — is also set to adapt The Hollywood Reporter's Angelyne feature story and is readying a miniseries based on Fritz Lang's sci-fi classic Metropolis, all via his Universal Cable Productions deal.

"The story of Mr. Robot is completely original and exhilarating — striking a cultural chord at just the right time. As we begin production on the final chapter of this iconic series, we want to thank Sam for his unparalleled vision, the masterful crew and the passionate cast who breathe life into these rich characters. We’d also like to thank our partners at USA Network for embracing this revolutionary series," UCP co-presidents Dawn Olmstead and George Cheeks said in a joint statement.
    For his part, Malek has parlayed his Mr. Robot role to big-screen gigs, including his leading role as Freddie Mercury in the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. Malek will return for the final season, which picks up where the season three finale left off and will explore the pros and cons of Elliot sending an email that could reverse 5/9. Christian Slater, Portia Doubleday, Carly Chaikin, Martin Walstrom, Grace Gummer, Michael Cristofer and BD Wong co-star in the drama, which hails from Anonymous Content. The latter's Steve Golin and Chad Hamilton exec produce alongside Esmail.

The decision to wrap up Mr. Robot arrives as USA Network recently canceled dramas Colony and Shooter — both after three-season runs — and picked up Treadstone to series. USA's slate currently includes the lone "Blue Skies" holdover, Suits, and its upcoming spinoff, Queen of the South, The Sinner, The Purge and anthology Unsolved, the latter of which is awaiting word on season two. On the pilot side, USA has Erase, Dare Me and Esmail's Briarpatch.

For management and production company Anonymous Content — which reps Esmail — the company also exec produces Homecoming and next has Netflix's Maniac, Hulu's Catch-22, Patty Jenkins' TNT drama I Am the Night and more.

Apr 20, 2024
  2. Johnny Guitar

Aug 29, 2018
    Absolutely love this show, d--- shame it's ending so soon. But maybe that's a good thing, no point in dragging the story out.

Ordinary Joel, Trackz and Lil Squeed like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Trackz and Lil Squeed like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Aug 29, 2018
    :O

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Lil Squeed

Aug 29, 2018
    Yea I'd hate to see this show turn into the walking dead

Ordinary Joel and Johnny Guitar like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Johnny Guitar like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  5. Lil Squeed

Aug 29, 2018
    still need to watch season 3 but 1 and 2 were amazing

Ordinary Joel and Cyreides like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Cyreides like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  6. Lil Wayne

Lil Wayne Tha Carter V

Aug 29, 2018
    Looking forward to Rami playing Freddy Mercury

Ordinary Joel and Lil Squeed like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

Aug 29, 2018
    Honestly i think the show lost it somewhere between s2 and 3. Feels like it got ahead of itself. Will still check this out though

Apr 20, 2024
  8. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Aug 29, 2018

Apr 20, 2024
  9. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Aug 29, 2018
    sucks to hear about this, but i understand. dope TV series.

Apr 20, 2024
  10. Johnny Guitar

Aug 29, 2018
    Season 1 was amazing
    Season 2 was a mess but I guess it had to be done in order for season 3 to make sense.
    Season 3 was flawless though.

I think Season 4 might be the best one yet because the show definitely found its footing last year and was solid af.

Apr 20, 2024
  11. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Sep 12, 2018
    4 seasons isn't bad for a show like this on USA with relatively weak ratings. I'm not mad at it, they have a chance to end it right and not overdo it like TWD.

Apr 20, 2024
  12. GawDEDEDE

Sep 12, 2018
    No f---

Apr 20, 2024
  13. GOLOVKING

Sep 13, 2018
    Season 1 was ok, a few directing and writing issues.
    Season 2, masterpiece
    Season 3, masterpiece

A great show. My friends write code and they all say how accurate the show is. Esmail is a genius.

Apr 20, 2024