Rank the Wu-Tang Members (Results!)

Started by Enez, Mar 24, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Mar 24, 2019
    Time to rank the members of arguably the GOAT rap group, the Wu Tang Clan.

If for some reason you dont know the members names they are

Ghostface Killah
    Raekwon
    Method Man
    Ol Dirty b------
    RZA
    GZA
    Inspectah Deck
    U-God
    Masta Killa
    Cappadonna

In my order, the list goes

#1 GK (Ghost is the definitive Wu member. Hasen't really dropped a bad project tbh, besides Bulletproof Wallets, which was pretty mediocre, at least the retail version)
    #2 Raekwon (nothing really needs to be said)
    #3 RZA (GOAT producer, but very polarizing rapper. First two albums were great to me. Has a very offbeat flow and sounds Asian to some people apparently. Being one, i can see that. Please for the love of god, skip Digi Snacks, that s--- is so horrible.)
    #4 Method Man (One of the more slept on of the Wu Tang, can make a at project, just the ones in the 2000s were pretty weak imo.)
    #5 GZA (The Genius, if it wasnt for Pro Tools, you would've been higher up the list. Not saying it's terrible, just GZA sounds dead at times on it.)
    #6 ODB (I couldn't really get into Dirty, his voice is kinda irritating. Then again, he can spit when the time comes. RIP)
    #7- Masta Killa (Idk why the h--- it took MK a decade to get his debut out but it was worth it at the end. Thats really all I can say about MK.)
    #8 Inspectah Deck (I only like his first album, nothing else really stands out to me. I didnt really think it was classic worthy. And that he dropped some bad albums after that. And then someone thought it was a good idea to take one of his worst albums and slap dubstep beats on it. I'm Dead f---ing Serious.)
    #9 U-God (Cant say much about U God, only thing i can say is that he dropped some pretty bad albums)
    #10 Cappadonna (Capp used to be so good. His first album is really the only one worthy of the Wu name. Everything else he dropped was f---ing horrible. But I did hear some good things about one of his recent albums.)

How'd you rank the Wu members?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    lil uzi vert stan, gdot, n9ne and 7 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Mar 24, 2019
    Great thread @WheresTheMeat ! this is the kind of s--- I love.

1. GFK
    Top 5 emcee of all time and I don't think he actually gets the recognition he deserves for the amount of influence he's had. Supreme Clientele is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Fishscale, Ironman and Pretty Toney Album come in close after that. Work in the 2010s has a little hit or miss for me but generally still solid.

2. RZA
    Most important/influential producer of all time? I think so. You can still hear it everywhere today - from Earl Sweatshirt to Travis Scott. Never got into any of his solo work but that production run 93-97 is completely unrivalled.

3. Raekwon
    Always had a soft spot for the chef and I've enjoyed almost all of his solo work. 2 all time classics and might just have the best Wu feature list. one of the best feature rappers of all time, now that I think about it. Also, Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang is an underrated GEM.

4. GZA
    Consistently brilliant throughout the early-mid 90's and dropped a bonafide classic (and one of my personal favourite albums of all time) in Liquid Swords. Career pretty much ended before the 90's were up and so doesn't stack up to RZA, Rae and Ghost.

5. Ol' Dirty
    Return to the 36 Chambers was the first solo Wu album I had and holy s---, what a journey. Who else takes 5 minutes to wail about gonorrhea on the intro track? His second album is another underrated classic. Way ahead of his time and gone too soon.

6. Method Man
    Both Tical and Blackout! with Redman are pretty good (never check out the second one). Almost everything else he's dropped has been mid. Despite that he's still managed to remain an important figure in hip hop, just off his voice and presense and charisma alone.

7. Inspectah Deck
    Murdered his features on the early Wu albums but his solo career never took off. That flood in RZAs basement will always be one of the greatest tragedies in hip hop. Czarface has been alright I guess. Could never get into them but I need to give them another chance, especially their first S/T album, which was actually great if I remember right.

8. Masta Killa
    I feel bad putting MK so far down the list but the competitions steep. His verse on Da Mystery of Chessboxin will always be one of the best on 36 Chambers. No Said Date is a great album, its a pity it took him so long to release it. Havent heard any of his stuff since tbh.

9. U God & Capadonna
    ngl, never listened to a U God or Capadonna album. Dont think I'm missing out on much, although I think I do need to listen to The Pillage (Milk This Cow was great).

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Sav Stanfield

Mar 24, 2019
    where the other Wu fans? @Big Dangerous are you still alive? get in here

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Sav Stanfield

Mar 24, 2019
    also, while we're at it, my top 5 Wu albums:

1. Enter the Wu-Tang
    2. Supreme Clientele
    3. Liquid Swords
    4. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
    5. Return to the 36 Chambers

CJ Poe, Chrollo, Enez and 2 others like this.
    CJ Poe, Chrollo, Enez and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Mar 24, 2019
    Amazing thread, put smile on my face when I saw this s--- bannered

1. Method Man, because he's my favorite, I listened his discography back to back many times, simple as that

2. RZA, c'mon man, his unique voice and production is groundbreaking

3. Chef Reakwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is one of top10 hip-hop albums, he still can deliver dope project.

4. Ghostface Killa and GZA (lyrics bro)

5. ODB cause I love crazy rappers

6. Cappadonna / Masta Killa / U-God / Inspectah

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Enez

Mar 24, 2019
    Kinda close to my top 5

1. 36 Chambers
    2. Liquid Swords
    3. Supreme Clientele
    4. Cuban Linx
    5. Ironman

(Also thanks for the banner, Sav!)

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 24, 2019
    I already knew that capadonna was going to be the last one on everyone's list

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

Mar 24, 2019
    Should be U God tbh

Ordinary Joel, Enez, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enez, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 24, 2019
    #1 Ghostface Killah: The only bad thing i can say about him is his voice, idk why but on a few songs it kills the vibe. But yeah, his monumental and amazing catalogue makes every other argument against him invalid, GK one of the best to do it. Also way more diversity on his projects than on Raekwons.

#2 RZA: For me he was always the face of Wu Tang. Amazing producer, dope voice, yada yada... nothing really to add. Bobby digital was interesting but not amazing but some people told me otherwise.

#3 GZA : Two words: Liquid Swords (and btw everyone should listen to Dj Muggs vs GZA: Grandmasters!!!)

#4 Method Man: I rank him 4th because i basically grew up with movies like How High and his albums. Method Man is one of the more mainstream wu tang members if you can say so. Tical is f---ing amazing, why are debut albums always the best?

#5 Raekwon: Classic debut (!!!) and d--- this man can spit. But some of his projects sound bland idk why, there is not much going on

#6 ODB: Return to 36 chambers was fun to listen to, but it was just to all over the place for me. His verses on clan projects were always da bomb tho

#7 Masta Killa/ Inspectah Deck: I really can't say much about them

#8 U God, Cappadonna: for obvious reasons

great thread btw

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Mar 24, 2019
    Reserved but RZA the GOAT

Mar 28, 2024
  11. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 24, 2019
    Yeah at least cappadonna has a cool name

Mar 28, 2024
  12. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 24, 2019
    Oh s--- i forgot the most important wu tang member: Martin Shkreli

Mar 28, 2024
  13. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Mar 24, 2019
    Lmao

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Mar 24, 2019
    1: Ghostface
    Ghost fell way off but he was one of the three or four best rappers alive for like 20 years straight. Supreme Clientelle is a top 5 album oat

2: Raekwon
    Has kind of a rocky discography but is absolutely unstoppable when he hits. OB4CL is arguably the best rap album ever made and he even managed to drop a worthy follow-up 15 years removed from it

3: Method Man
    Tical is probably the most underrated Wu debut. He never quite managed to equal it, but he also never fell off and has been the standout of the last few Wu projects

4: Inspectah Deck
    Mostly for his verses on the group albums. Triumph is one of the most celebrated verses of all time for good reason and he still murders features to this day. His verse on Life Changes is probably the most underrated in the Wu catalogue. His solo work is nothing to write home about but his debut and the first Czarface album are both definitely worth a look

5: GZA
    There’s nothing I could say about Liquid Swords that hasn’t already been said a thousand times, it’s a masterpiece. His verses on the first couple Wu projects are standouts, too. The reason he’s ranked so low is because of how complacent and frankly lazy he’s been since the late 90’s

6: ODB
    Consistently funny and entertaining, was the breakout star in the early days of the group for good reason. His debut is a classic, although I’ve heard GZA wrote most of it. His erratic behaviour and drug issues started to bleed into his music around the end of his life and a lot of his later work sounds like a mess. Was a creative force when he was coherent though

7: U-God
    The most underappreciated member of the group, mostly because he’s not really on 36 Chambers and his solo work tends to fly under the radar, but the man is a way better rapper than he gets credit for. His verses on Chessboxin’ is legendary and he out raps his more famous groupmates on tracks like Iron God Chamber and The Ghetto. His solo work has only got better with time, ignore the first two albums, The Keynote Speaker and Venom are two of the best latter day Wu solos

8: RZA
    This will probably be the most controversial placement on the list, and I’m not going to take anything away from him as a producer, he was one of the greatest ever and his work on the first wave of Wu projects is unparalleled, but he hasn’t been producing like that for a long time and frankly I just never rated him that highly as a rapper. Obviously he’s capable of some great performances, but I find he often gets too wrapped up in the Bobby Digital gimmick and his own pretentiousness to really live up to his potential. My eyes glaze over whenever he starts rapping about science or religion

9: Masta Killa
    I enjoy his appearances and he’s never been outright bad, there’s just nothing particularly memorable about his music. I like his weird semi-spoken word delivery though

10: Cappadonna
    Was great once upon a time, but no one remembers when that was. Winter Wars is great

Ordinary Joel, Enez, Chrollo and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enez, Chrollo and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Mar 24, 2019
    1. Method Man

2-10. Everybody else

n9ne, Ordinary Joel, Ricky and 3 others like this.
    n9ne, Ordinary Joel, Ricky and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 24, 2019
    1. GFK
    2. Raekwon
    3. Method Man
    4. GZA
    5. Everyone else

RZA is a great producer but garbage rapper.

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Mar 24, 2019
    1. Ghostface - This was an easy one, nevermind his near flawless discography, he's just one of the flat-out most creative rappers ever! Dude can tell a story like no other, crystal clear and full of those tiny details that makes each verse so cinematic. Ghost practically kept the Wu flag flying high after they all took a downturn after Wu-Tang Forever, I'll never not get bored of Supreme Clientele.

2. Raekwon - The Chef deserves this spot for cooking up his 2 undeniable classics; Only Built For Cuban Linx I & II. He's got this razor sharp flow & a presence that gives off this Godfather feeling of luxury & exoticism. His chemistry with Ghost is one of the premier duos in rap history, nevermind how Rae was a major proponent in the whole NY Mafia rap scene.

3. Method Man - He's pretty much the perfect rapper you look at his repertoire. On 36 Chambers he looked like a d--- superstar in the midst of all that murky energy and competitiveness, while he might not have made that seminal classic like the Wu members did, he was a highlight in each of those albums while still delivering solid projects in the early part of his career (and Blackout with Redman).

4. RZA - If this was down to importance, he'd be far and away #1, there is no Wu-Tang without RZA. His music has endured cause who the f--- would ever think of combining old Kung-fu flicks with soul samples and dusty breakbeats? He pioneered an entire sound that remains unique and his off-kilter raps are so wildly entertaining.

5. GZA - This dude dropped a nuclear bomb with Liquid Swords and then never could gather that same energy again. Still this MFer had this sage-like presence when he raps and the way he crafts his verses are so laser-focused and dense with clever turn of phrases, Genius earned that name for a reason, just wish he could have dropped another classic with all that talent.

6. ODB - With the boom of all these rappers with raspy voices and rapid flows, you gotta look at ODB as that predecessor that offered a glimpse of all the unhinged energy. It needs to be said, this dude was crazy as h--- and we seriously need a biopic of ODB badly. In the midst of his career he dropped some great solos and was the outspoken vibrant part of Wu-Tangs run in the 90s, "Wu-Tang is for the Children"

7. Inspecktah Deck - Idk how this fool could walk into the Wu albums and obliterate all his features but couldn't do the same for his solos. It's unfulfilled potential but hey it's worth relistening to his opening verse on Triumph over and over again.

8. Masta Killa / U-God / Cappadonna - gonna group them together since they just never did it for me as far as solo albums go. Still they always had some moments to shine on certain features on the respective Wu albums, Cappa had some potential early on.

Buddha, n9ne, Ordinary Joel and 6 others like this.
    Buddha, n9ne, Ordinary Joel and 6 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Step Daddy

Mar 24, 2019
    RZA
    Rae
    Ghost
    m---
    GZA
    ODB

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Enez

Mar 24, 2019
    Lol

Free Shkreli

Mar 28, 2024
  20. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Mar 24, 2019
    @WheresTheMeat digi snacks is indeed not very good but this song is f---ing great

Love it

Mar 28, 2024