Sav Stanfield's SONGS OF THE DECADE (Entry 1: YNW Melly - Murder on My Mind / Mind on My Murder)

Started by Sav Stanfield, Nov 17, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Nov 17, 2019
    Trying to make a comprehensive, one-take list of the best songs of the decade is pretty much impossible. The sheer volume of music alone means I've hardly listened to enough to make any kind of definitive list. So this is by no means a list of the objectively best songs of the decade. Its a bunch of songs from the last 10 years that I've enjoyed the most, that have stuck with me and that I'll likely still be revisiting in years to come. No order, no rules, no specific criteria, just whatever comes to mind. For however long it takes.

Entry 1: YNW Melly - Murder on My Mind / Mind on My Murder

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Nov 17, 2019
    Entry 1: YNW Melly - Murder on My Mind / Mind on My Murder (from I AM YOU, released 2018)

I've had these 2 songs on repeat, back-to-back for about the past week or so. I have no idea why. Its becoming increasingly rare for me to return to older music these days but despite torrents of new releases I've somehow find myself stubbornly hitting play on these; the backdrop to one of the most tragic, twisted tales in hip hop history. I saw someone on Twitter once describe 'every Melly song as an emotional rollercoaster' (or something like that), and there is no description more apt. Melly's clearly a student of Young Thug and Lil Uzi before him, but neither of those artists have ever made something quite like this. Stylistically, both songs are firmly 2010's. But the content of these songs could easily have been written by a 90's Nas or Prodigy.

If you're unfamiliar, Murder on My Mind tells the dark tale of Melly shooting a close friend and holding him in his arms as he slowly loses consciousness and dies. Mind on My Murder, which follows its predecessor in the album's track-listing, repeats the story, but this time from the victim’s perspective.

In February 2019, 19-year old Melly was arrested and charged with the double homicide of his two friends: 19-year old YNW Juvy and 21-year old YNW Sakchaser, who were both gunned down in an apparent drive-by shooting. Melly's been in jail since. He faces life. And maybe even the death penalty.

While the timing of the song's releases and the murders don't coincide (i.e. these arent a confession), its still a stark and grim reminder of the reality in which Melly and his music exist. The story is old news now and despite his brief breakout into the spotlight, Melly - a once in a generation voice - has already largely been forgotten.

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Nov 17, 2019
    "Murder On My Mind" is the most beautiful murder confession

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Nov 17, 2019
    free melvin

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 18, 2019
    Lol

Gr8 songs btw sav!

I do wonder how u do it; not going back to older music.

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 21, 2019
    Such a shame. He could've been a generational talent.

:emoji_slight_frown:

Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Sea Mauville

Nov 21, 2019
    sav writeups :rejoice:

Mar 28, 2024