A trip through Costa Rica

Started by Michael Myers, Dec 23, 2019, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 23, 2019
    So today I got back from my 16 day trip through Costa Rica. What a beautiful and diverse country!
    The one thing that was kinda annoying was the hygene.. as a western civilisation guy it was kinda s-----y no not being able to drink water from the tap, and gross to having to put toilet paper in a trash can lol.

So we (me w some friends) started at San José, for just one night. The 2nd day we went rafting on the pacuara river:

[​IMG]
    (I'm not gonna post my own pics since they're way many mb's to attach.. unfortunately). But the rafting was f---ing great!

After that we went to a little carribian town called Cahuita: a small, yet fun little town/village near the beach. We went to a national park where we saw monkeys, racoons, iguana's, and other animals. It was also nice walking past the beaches there. At night we had, again vintage diner w chicken, rice and beans.

After that we had a unique experience: lirio lodge. It was a small, sorta island in the middle of the jungle. No wifi, no phone signal, nothing for 2 days. We slept at a lodge in the middle of the jungle w no windows (just mosquito nets around the cabins);

[​IMG]
    At 4 am we were woken up by howler monkeys, birds and other animals. It was such a nice experience. During the day we went w a boat and by foot to spot even more animals; snakes, howler monkeys, sloths, beautiful birds, crocodiles, we seen it all. At night, since there was no internet, we played games and drank some booze.

After the wildlife we went to a sarapiqui, where we visited a chocolate plantation, pretty interesting tbh! From there we moved on to another unique experience; homestay. We went to a village where they did everything themselves (food wise) trying to rely on shops as less as possible. Very nice, welcome people that tried their best to make us feel very welcome. We again did a tour through the jungle and went swimming at a lake (small waterfall).

After the more jungle experiences, we went to La Fortuna / Arenal; seeing like, the first other tourists on the trip lol. La Fortuna was a nice town w some good places to eat. I can say that, in general, I was pleased w the food there; lots of chicken and rice but at restaurants I mostly went w fish; mahi mahi, salmon, and mixed seefood dishes. At la fortuna we went to arenal national park; w the hanging bridges. Very beautiful to see! At night we went to the hot springs. Also amazing, but not as amazing as the La Fortuna waterfall;

[​IMG]

We went swimming here for hours, absolutely amazing. To watch it, and to swim there.

After that we went to another tourist place; Monteverde. We did the zipline tour there; very nice! At night we also did a night walk where we saw tarantula's, sloths, snakes, tucans etc. Nice experience, again. The 2nd night we went to a bar / club there and got pretty wasted; it was worth it though!

The last 3 days we went full tourist and went to Tamarindo; its called (by locals) the Miami of Costa Rica. Of course you can't compare them, but its very crowded -in a good way- lots of sightseeing, bars, restaurants, nice beaches. We took surfing lessons and went to a beautiful outdoor club at night (which played hiphop all f---ing night, loved it!) There was also a beautiful sunset at night at the beach, a rec if ur ever there w a date. Time flies, so yesterday it was time to go...

In a day I went from 30 degrees °C, sunny weather and swim clothes... to 5 degrees, rain and christmas music :emoji_slight_frown: it was nice though!

Like @Big Cuntry said, its pretty expensive , but not that expensive that I had to not do/buy certain things. Loved how we did the trip, from jungle - carribean relaxing slowly moving to the crowded, pacific side of the country. Overall, definitely worth to visit!

@LifeSXN

Bojack, Slyk, Sign Language and 8 others like this.
    Bojack, Slyk, Sign Language and 8 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. CavalierTD

CavalierTD The Pride of Pittsburgh

Dec 23, 2019
    Super dope fam! Also Welcome back! I’ve had some friends visit Costa Rica and they all enjoyed it so I’m glad you did as well lol.

Apr 24, 2024
  3. FlameEffex

Dec 23, 2019
    I was lucky enough to go to Costa Rica for a business trip for a week. Very little business mostly sight seeing and drinking. Was dope as f---, and I didn't get to do half the s--- you did. The women there are hella sexy too... And spent way too much money at Tango India lol.

Michael Myers and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. reservoirGod

reservoirGod reckless adventurer.

Dec 23, 2019
    Be sure to do ayahuasca.

Michael Myers likes this.
    Michael Myers likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Dec 24, 2019
    Sounds absolutely amazing man! The one thing I regret from my life is travelling more and seeing the world. I'm making up for it in adult life but nothing will take the regret away when I could've gone backpacking.

My number 1 goal.in life is to save enough money to retire early and travel as much as possible, including a round the world cruise.

Apr 24, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 26, 2019
    Yeah I feel you. A few years back when me and my gf broke up I started to travel. I was like now is the time, when u get kids etc its kinda impossible for a long time. Ur time will come bro! Lots of people travel around the world after retirement.

icecube likes this.
    icecube likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024