E-Block [Classic Week 1/10]

Started by Enez, Jan 1, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Jan 1, 2020
    [​IMG]

RUNDOWN GAME TIGHT

- Classic Week on Fridays :khaled2:

e-block is gonna be my sorta blog from here on out. gonna post some reviews, write-ups and other s--- i might think about later. first off might be an album review for the latest tape Teejayx6 has blessed us today: 2020. either that or i’m gonna bless the streets about what i’ve been hearing this time. next will be a write-up on the grime scene and it’s essentials. gonna be hot.

this only keeps me more active lol. i’m doing s--- that opens my mind, so no more stupid s--- overwhelms me. see you.

questions and comments below, as always.

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Enez

Jan 1, 2020
    THE TEEJAYX6 2020 REVIEW

[​IMG]

pretty sure many know about teejay’s antics throught the site. your scammers favorite rapper. teejay blesses the streets with his methods that’ll help you climb the ranks of the scammer tower.

this new years eve, teejay dropped a new mixtape named, 2020 of course. it has 5 songs, much smaller than what teejay has been giving us. but hey, short and sweet makes it all better, right? nothing too overblown.

Track 1: 2020

if you’ve spoke to me before about teejay, you know about how long i’ve been waiting on the full version of this track. when the snippet of this dropped, i was hopping out my seat, how the f--- does a n----- make fma sound fire? n-----, don’t ask questions.

i think teejay is already starting this tape off with a b---. his flow is just straight flames here.

IM A SCAMMER AND A HERO

Track 2: Animosity

teejay mostly gets more grimier here, how many body’s he catching? all of them. he’s mostly talk that murder and gun talk, this isn’t about the scams for now, he wants to let you know he’s a real n-----.

Track 3: Off White

did you miss scamming teejay? he’s back on that bs on this track. the expensive talk got a n----- needing hearing aids. mfr really getting geeked off the bars, both bars, you know what i’m talking about.

vvs’ sittin on my chest got me SHIVERING

Track 4: Bodybag

no more slow s--- here. teejay’s in his bag when it comes to upbeat scammer and murder anthems. quoteables for DAYS and i mean DAYS. i’ll consider this d--- near the best track on the tape, next to the title one.

(that was him singing, feel me?)

that remind me of my ar when that b---- singing

you the middle man, can i see the owner please?

this ar is a ONE HITTER QUITTER

Track 5: Back In Action

such an anticlimactic title for a final track. this has some pretty funny quotables as well, for example

I JUST SHOT A FATASS n----- AND TOLD HIM GET HEALTHY

i wasn’t feeling this one as much as the other tracks tbh, didn’t think he did bad, just didn’t deliver to the fullest.

Teejay delivered imo, beside from back in action. would i say it’s on the level of black air force 1 activity? not really but it’s pretty close. its the perfect blend of street scammer music though, i’ll give it that. i’d say 8/10 for sure.

BEST SONG(s): 2020 & Body Bag

WORST SONG: Back in Action

Mar 29, 2024
  3. Enez

Jan 3, 2020
    [​IMG]

It’s classic week this friday. The classic here is My Bloody Valentines 2nd LP, Loveless.

The shoegaze scene may edge off many due to it’s massively distorted sound, but honestly it’s a major grower if one were to take the right perimeters to it.

Loveless is potentially the greatest shoegaze album ever made, not many sounded like it before, and still they don’t. Loveless is truly it’s own breed. Before being an eventual grower, a few more full listens for me, as well as occasionally downing a tab, I've then finally gotten to the realization of Loveless. Yeah, I'm going with the route, that you have to be high out of your life to appreciate Loveless to the fullest, that's what I did anyway. Only Shadow is such an intense track, h--- I wasn't even ready the first time, and I'm still not regardless. Loomer starts off the erophic tone and does it extremely well, I do feel like it's a bit short though. Now Touched is truly trip nation, just coming in at roughly a minute. I barely knew this track existed, merely being a pigment of To Here Knows When. Now that s--- is as dreamy as Dream Pop could get. Words couldn't even explain how tripped out of my mind I was when this came up. I'm still slightly irred at the choppiness here, but that's only sometimes. I already mentioned how amazing When You Sleep is, it sounds great, feels great (does that make sense?), and overall just sweeps everything else here under the bus, this is the best track here. Most of the same s--- can apply to the latter tracks, except maybe Soon, that just send another message down to me, something about it just sends me down to europhea paradise each and every time.

So yeah, Loveless did it's justice, just feel the vibe of the album, maybe you'd appreciate it more. It deserves to be claimed as one of the best OAT, because it just simply is. You can't go anymore wrong with that.

[​IMG]

Our 2nd classic, also a sophomore LP, ATCQ’s Low End Theory

Tribe’s first work with People’s Instinctive Travels and The Paths of Rhythm had moderate success, albeit being a noteworthy success with the critics and crowd alike, but it felt like it was missing something. The jazz rap magic was sort of unfinished in comparison of LET, that same magic oozing out to influence nearly the entire rap game, as well as the music industry as a whole. Q-Tip, Phife Dawg and Shaheed’s fine work also unfortunately marked a time where this exact genre started to slip apart from the public eye, due to the now rising G-Funk, which took influence from Tribe as a whole.

The Tribe stays intact for this record, except for Jarobi, who would later bounce after the debut to focus on his culinary work. It seemed that the Tribe were at a slight disadvantage at this point, however something must have snapped in the Tribe circle, because lyrically and productively they reached an all time high that wasn’t seen before at the time. Q and Shaheed are mostly the same on this project, but Phife seemed to steal the entire spotlight from the others, Phife was just nasty in his performances.

Excursions starts out with an obvious lampshade, a tribal beat you might say. Only Q-Tip spits here, and doesn’t bat an eye at all during his performance. Mostly reminiscing over the old times with his father and music, Q doesn’t let off and just goes at what’s on his mind Bars for days.

In comes Phife Dawg in the track after. What an introduction. Q may have an impressive feat during the former track, but Phife washes all of Q’s cred away. Don’t hurt em Phife.

In Butter, Phife talks about not really being a ladies man in high school, having a hard time having the perfect woman in the world, using butter as a metaphor of his moves with all the women he get with. I feel like this is one of the best beats on here, it’s simplistic, but oh so smooth, like butter, right?

Now the last track i’ll talk about is Scenario. I’m sure most people know what Scenario is, one of the Tribe’s most famous songs in their entire careers. Being the final track of the project, emancipating itself as a poss cut, the entire Tribe is here, bringing in Charlie Brown, Dinco-D and a hungry Busta Rhymes. It’s a match made in heaven.

I don’t know what else I should say about Low End Theory, but if you haven’t listened to this yet, what are you doing with your time?

[​IMG]

The final classic, is Beck’s Odelay.

Now, Beck is potentially my favorite artist of all time. His mass versatility is to die for. I won’t talk about the tracks here, because I’m pretty sure I still won’t make as much sense as before. Odelay takes all of the magic from Mellow Gold, Beck’s previous effort, and somehow brings it up tenfold, maybe even higher. Beck crafted a much more focused album than its predecessor, and isn’t as much of a nonce (can’t believe i’m saying that word, lol). I did recognize a few tunes here and there from Beck’s impressive sample game, such as The New Pollution coming from a specific bootleg mixtape, that unfortunately I can’t remember at the time. The style of sampling is truly a shining star, masking the obscure perfectly, perhaps Madlib like? Maybe a stretch.

Much like many others say, during this period, white artists were in a quite darker place, due to Cobain’s untimely demise. An alternative to Cobain, was Beck? Couldn’t have been me at the time, Beck was more of a semi-carbon copy of Cobain, albeit more dead inside than Cobain ever would.

A very enjoyable release from Beck, sure, but it holds it's charm, like I said before. Beck seems to be more at heart with himself, not pissed. The true stamp of classic-ness unfolds, and I’m not even a quarter of a way through this entire man’s discography. Such a feat I’ve yet to bypass.

Mar 29, 2024
  4. Sea Mauville

Jan 3, 2020
    insightful reviews :emoji_100:
    i like what you said about beck's stuff the most

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Enez

Jan 3, 2020
    beck really one of the best out here. crazy material
    :whew:

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Sea Mauville

Jan 3, 2020
    would you say thats his best

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Enez

Jan 3, 2020
    yeah, definitely

Ordinary Joel, Ricky and Sea Mauville like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Ricky and Sea Mauville like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

Jan 3, 2020
    subscribed.

That Teejay review spot on, can't wait til he actually drops his next full project.

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Jan 4, 2020
    This is the content I love to see on this site, couldn't have described Loveless any better.

Consider me part of the Enez Navy, Friday can't come soon enough :feedme:

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jan 4, 2020
    Been meaning to get into MBV. I'm still yet to dive head first into shoegaze but everynow and then I do find myself enchanted by the stuff I hear. :wow2:

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Enez

Jan 10, 2020
    Another week, so in comes more classic retrospects. Only 2 for this week. Surprisingly couldn’t come up with some other this this week, besides Classic Week ofc. Anyway, to the albums.

Our first classic this week, is the self proclaimed greatest album for any music fan, Neutral Milk Hotel’s, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

[​IMG]

History is fascinating. Holocaust history might be a completely different story to the average person. Not for Jeff Mangum though. It’s a clear indication what this is about. For seemingly their final record, Mangum, alongside the rest of his NMH crew crafted an album about the completely abstract mind of Mangum. Confessions of his love for Anne Frank, sexual relations, and pure nostalgia are beyond topic.

Mangum’s songwriting in general can get suprising dark here, and not many to notice due to the seemingly cheerful melody several of the songs maintain, especially in Holland, 1945. Production wise, of course the appeal was gonna go through the roof, with it’s lo-fi tone for the most part, mostly boosting the nostalgia that many lo-fi records can do, but something about Aeroplane gives it more magic.

Aeroplane is an album full of heartbreak, confusion and awkwardness. It’s a heartwarming adventure to the very end. The journey is over, like Mangum does in the end of Two Headed Boy Pt. 2, dropping his guitar and simply leaving. Not only the end of the record, but the end of NMH has came. So long, King.

Our last classic for the week is Spaceghostpurrp’s Memphis-fused record, Mysterious Phonk: The Chronicles of Spaceghostpurrp.
    [​IMG]
    Some might not think of it as a classic, but it’s my show. Truly a sinister remark of it's time, Purrp's magnum opus serves as a time where the hellish scape of Memphis rap fully devoured the minds of what came through it. If you start off your album with the literal pits of h---, you should've known what s--- you're about to get through while listening to this album. The Three 6, as well as many other horrorcore-like rappers hailing from Memphis, might even throw Esham for name's sake, just ooze out like wild.

How Purrp presented himself through the album is what truly makes Mysterious Phonk shine. All handled by Purrp, his beats reflected the darkest and dreariest moments that anyone can imagine. Mortal Kombat, clearly an influence here, to which Purrp uses as a tool, to convey the h--- in his production. Most Memphis rap uses quite faster flows for a much intuitive experience. Purrp however, uses a more slower approach to his vocals, making it seem more sinister and intriguing, like how Giggs conveyed the same approach to the grime scene.

h--- might as well be a literal album. Mysterious Phonk is close to scraping how h--- sounds like in rap form.

It was a pretty disappointing week honestly, but i’ll pick s--- up one day. probably meaning never. till next time.

Mar 29, 2024
  12. Sav Stanfield

Jan 10, 2020
    Maaaan I'm so glad you mentioned this. One of the most terrifying listening experiences I've ever had, I'd put it right up there with Mystic Stylez. Truly does sound like you're descending in the infernos of h---. Underrated gem, doesnt get nearly the recognition it deserves. s---, Purpp doesnt get the recognition he deserves for everything he did with Raider Klan.

Mar 29, 2024
  13. Sea Mauville

Jan 10, 2020
    he has a cult following

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024