Why Culture III Will Once Again Reshape the Culture

Started by Antman, May 26, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 26, 2020
    Why Culture III Will Once Again Reshape the Culture

In 2017, Donald Glover shouted out a thank you to Migos for making, “Bad and Boujee.” Shortly after, their major label debut “Culture” did 144,000 first week and to date, they’ve sold over 2 million records worldwide. At that point, Migos was literally everywhere.

Offset, Quavo, and Takeoff quickly became a household name as rap’s fastest rising trio arguably in history. From features with frequent collaborators Young Thug and Travis Scott to pop missteps with Katy Perry, Migos capitalized on flooding the airwaves with their signature triple-time flow that brought the culture to its knees. The impressionable influence Migos has cemented can be seen in literally every major and upcoming rapper’s release. With their flow becoming a staple in hip-hop, their sound became a pillar for the next few generations of rappers which leads into the trio’s 2017 sequel, Culture II.

Capitilizing on the streaming era, in 2018 Migos manage to drop a 24 track album that runs across a rough hour and 45 minutes. Culture II saw strong streaming numbers and sales, making the sequel a commercial success. Critically however, critics stated the album was too bloated with a run time that could’ve probably been cut down.

After the successful Culture II; Offset, Takeoff and Quavo managed to execute the most riskiest move yet - the release of the Migos solo albums. Being the first to step up to the plate in late 2018, Quavo debuted his solo effort, “Quavo Huncho” to mostly negative reception. Shortly after we received the highly impressive, “The Last Rocket” from Takeoff, and the awfully average “Father of 4” album from Offset. Creatively, the trio seemed to be on different pages, as well as a creative burn out.

Since then, we’ve seen a plethora of emerging rap acts from Charlotte’s charismatic Dababy, to Chicago’s Polo G. A lot has changed in the last two years.; Travis Scott’s” Astroworld” took over the world by the storm, Drake nearly dodged a k--- shot from Pusha T, and Kanye West fully turned to God with the help of his choir. The whole landscape of rap has changed drastically since Culture I and Culture II.

With rap albums probably at its lowest point in terms of commercial success, it’s popularity has never waned. Very few albums in the last couple of years have managed to capture the cultural landscape and reshape it how Culture I did in 2017. With rap heavyweights (Kendrick Lamar, Jay Z, Nas, etc.) out of the limelight, rap has needed a savior - in this case saviors.

Outside of Lil Uzi dominating billboard charts with his long awaited “Eternal Atake”, it’s been apparent we needed the return of Atlanta’s superhero trio.

Busting back into the scene earlier this year., We’ve seen Migos bust out 2 official singles. Both singles not only shows that the three rappers needed this brief and short break - they’re invigorated, hungry, excited, and ready for more. “Racks 2 Skinny” and “Need It” featuring Florida’s Youngboy Never Broke Again. On each track, the cousins each get their time to shine with punishing bars that dominate every second with sharp precision. With the announcement of “Culture III” last year, fans began to speculate when would be their time to strike. If the two tracks are indication for what’s to come - we can safely assume that Migos are back, coming back for their crowns, and are back to reshape the culture in their image once again.

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 26, 2020

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Reed Richards

May 26, 2020
    I believe you

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 26, 2020
    Thanks

Reed Richards and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Reed Richards and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 26, 2020

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 26, 2020
    Need it is a nice single, if they go from there it could be nice. But I felt the same about stir fry.

Its been known I'm not a migos fan at all but they do have some dope stuff I really like when they step out of their (boring) comfort zone sound wise

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 26, 2020
    Thank you for taking the time to give this a read and commenting. I greatly appreciate the support, Mr. Myers

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

May 26, 2020
    I'm all for Team Migos, actually have high expectations for this album. the first Culture will stand as one of the most important albums of the 2010s and even though Culture II was way too long there was enough good s--- on there to actually make a good album imo.

thegoodguy, Ordinary Joel and Antman like this.
    thegoodguy, Ordinary Joel and Antman like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

May 26, 2020
    Gret read but Id never say Culture 2 reshaped anything. It was still great tho

Ordinary Joel and Antman like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

May 26, 2020
    Great read, already a sharp incline in penmanship from your last review. It is crazy that we haven't had that titanic rap album just yet in the past couple of years outside of the aforementioned Eternal Atake. Hope Migos can go 3 for 3 (I'll fight anyone that discards Culture II), the singles show plenty of promise!

Mar 28, 2024
  11. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 26, 2020
    thanks so much for the love, guys. I’m working hard on this and also glad I’m contributing something to the forum. I’m a professional leach here so I’m glad I can provide some discussion.

i truly think culture III is gonna be a game changer

Fire Squad and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Fire Squad and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024