Eminem Anyone else think Relapse will remain Eminem's peak? + RANKING his discography as a LONG time fan!

Started by odd, Nov 14, 2022, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. odd

odd

Nov 14, 2022
    yo so im high on NyQuil and bored f--- it lets do a full ranking and also i think relapse may be his creative peak, mmlp2 came close but not close enough imo, last 2 have bangers but miss the mark herese a detailed anaylsis if youre bored (im sick btw not a junkie lmao also sorry for bad formatting, high and very tired and also sick)

anyway heres my rankings after getting older (im 26 now) and going back and listening to it all again a lot. (except revival)
    Infinite - Fun, Marshall at his most OG sounding. I mean yeah he stole his flow off AZ and Nas and some lyrical miracle vibes get old but the title track is pretty wicked and I love that one song Tonite I think it's called. Some chill beats and good vibes. Wholesome Marshall here, lol. Before he got edgy. 5/10. Solid, some filler a little forgettable aside from a few tracks IMO
    SSLP - One I never listened to in full until probably like 2014 or something. I know, I know. I just always heard the singles and kind of disregarded it until I became a massive stan around that time. But holy s---. Flows, beats, hunger. It's all there. And it's got some of his funniest songs like As The World Turns, Brain Damage (Dark humor), My Name Is and My Fault. Some dark humor but it's fun man. Only downside is some of the beats have aged a bit and some references (same with some of his later work but whatever) and his nasally voice was at its peak here (not a fan of that haha) And Role Model and Guilty Conscience, come the f--- ON. That track is hilarious it's like so good and I always imagined it happening in my head like a movie. if i had is an emotional poem which always felt like a real a--- song for us poor f---s who do drugs and have depression ,rock bottom basically if i had but even better, though the fact that he hade it when he lost his job and was suicidal is very sad, but its a beautiful bittersweet real f---ing song. 10/10 then 97 bonnie is dark and a bit creepy with the baby talk but the storytelling is impeccable, the prequel to kim is well done here if a bit dark for me at times, still dont give a f--- is one of the best here too 8.7/10 (classic but flawed imo)
    MMLP - f---ing incredible, legendary. Except the one skit... you know hich one. Hahaha but holy s--- the anger. The hunger. k--- You is a f---ing masterpiece. That is true peak Em aside from Relapse, I'm speaking more in recent years. But yeah. The lyrical genius. The storytelling. The shock of what you're listening to when you hear Kim but you can't stop listening. I first heard Kim as a kid bro... it was scary as s---. Felt like a found footage horror flick. Amazing though... dark but well written horror love story soap opera type s---. Sorry for bad formatting btw im high and about to sleep and got bronchitis :/ anyway yeah GOAT album. Stan, obvious classic. Who Knew, underrated, GOAT flows here. The way I am, classic angry Marshall at his realest and best. Holy f--- that song makes you feel invincible. The way he told the public to f--- off and leave him alone. And he even threw in a subtle f--- you to Howard Stern for saying his music sounded too "wigger" in 1999 (yes thats a real thing) Marshall Mathers incredible ICP diss was always pretty funny considering he threw a one line diss to their big diss track though ngl slim anus was funny, Drug Ballad is SO f---ing undderated. Didn't get it tl a few years ago at a party while drunk as s---. Such a fun party song and ironically its about how drugs will ruin him... haha if he only knew he right he was, REAL SLIM SHADY, GOAT song. GOAT beat. My Name Is the sequel but better tbh. 10/10 (classic)
    TES - Amazing, a little rock anthemy at times but still f---ing fantastic flows and some bangers. 9/10 Drips is actually not as bad as some say but it's a bit weird and takes me out of the flow a bit. My Dad's gone crazy is lyrically f---ing insane. f----- up but funny, wholesome too in a way. I like that he matured a little here and tried to prove he was above just doing "horrorcore" but it does lose some of that hunger he had on MMLP 9/10
    Encore
    This is where everyone pretty much agrees the major falloff of Eminem began. He still flowed like a mof- and the beats were decent but he started getting more gangsterish here at parts, the songs where he slurs his words sounding like he just got off a xanax binge and yelling like peewee herman talking about buttholes and some weird s---??? idk the middle of the album is f---ing weird. I bet you a billion dollars fack was made for Encore but his label said no so he put it on an a greatest hits album instead lmao. anyway, even though it has some goofy ahh made at 5 am on valium type songs i get it, his album got leaked so he threw some weird s--- in there as kind of a troll. sadly it just made the album worse. but I do defend Rainman (Flow is S tier) and a--- Like That is catchy. MockingBird is an obvious classic and is peak Marshall at his realest. Only thing I dislike is the chorus its a liiitle corny but I get it its cute and s---. But great storytelling. Overplayed to s--- but good. Like Toy Soldiers, GOAT song, I just always found the chorus annoying for some reason. One Shot Two Shot is cool. Uh, Evil Deeds, Never Enough Just Lose It are all pretty great. Yeah Just Lose It. I know its corny but I like it. Its catchy and fun and he even mocks himself with the whole 8 mile parody. f--- it. Danny Brown is right this album isn't that bad. It's not amazing or great. But its not the worst. 6/10 (Good cover too, if you took the middle out and replaced it with the deluxe tracks then it might go up to an 8)
    Relapse Okay so this was my original point of the thread, I was gonna just talk about relapse but im high and bored so i'd figure it'd write out an analysis as a long time fan (11 years or so, im 25, started really digging into his discog at 14 before that i was more casual. ANYWAY sorry, so yeah. This album was weird as f--- when I first heard this s--- it was in this fat dudes garage while he had a fog machine going and he was dancing around lip syncing to 3 am... LMAO I'm sorry and then the accents hahaha. i was like wtf is this man. how did i get here. is this a prank? is eminem pranking us? is this jackass? anyway, whatever then i kept listening while i got high and then iwas like wait a f---ing SECOND motherFUCKSHITTITS. These beats are dope. Dre hitting that s---. d---. Okay 3 am... hmm. At first I was a bit annoyed then I became more enamored with the storyline and the McDonalds line and started visualizing it and I loved the music video of him looking anorexic and high in the forest. Pretty cool, a bit odd. The Skits like Dr West paint a very cool picture. This album somehow was creepier and weirder than MMLP but it also took itself less seriously I think. A lot of his lines sound so effortless and sarcastic and dripping in drug fueled levels of semi-lucidity yet also kind of surreal and absurd. (I believe he was partically clean during the making of it, "Encore I was on drugs, Relapse I was flushing em out" "Plegic - boogieing down to Frank Sinatra, 'Lindsay-to-the-Lohan' naked while you let me WATCH - YA" Ya know? The lyrics are insane. (No pun intended) But f---ing funny and they really do paint a vivid picture in your mind of a crazed serial killer or weirdo Patrick Bateman type of MFer imagining this s--- in his mind while drawing or some crazed horror movie psycho doing all kinda f----- up s--- in his underwear. Haha. Anyway. Flows are amazing. Stay Wide Awake, by far as we all know, the best flows the last verse is f---ing amazing. Gave me Silence of the Lambs vibes. Refill is dope too. Buffalo Bill Music Box. OLD TIMES SAKE = The true club b-----r or song that would play at the gym back in 09 lmao. It was the only semi-normal song it sounded like I guess. Aside from Beautiful. Which is amazing. Love the chorus sample. Love how raw it is, love that he wrote it partially while in rehab. Amazing s---. Whenever I feel depressed (which is recently) or down in the past this song always made me feel something I could relate to. Like if f---ing Eminem can't be happy, how can anyone? You know. The tears of a clown line... I could go on but this is already too long so Im gonna try to speed this up and im getting tired haha. HELLO = My favorite beat and so fun, ssuch a f---ing b-----r. I love playin this with my buddies while we get drunk. Fun and that flow is perfect. INSANE. f----- but funny. SAME SONG AND DANCE, b-----r but i dont play it as often as the others, but thats just me. cool but mayube the beat idk. DEJA VU, what else can be said except holy s---. even more real than beautiful but done in a tongue in cheek yet self aware way. incredible s---. maybe top 10 eminem song for sure. wow. CRACK A BOTTLE, fun but this and WE MADE YOU are my least favorite cause they just ehh fun but i prefer the other darker fun vibes but they are fun in a different way i guess. I hate crack a bottles chorus mostly. WMY is good but a bit annoying going for that Without Me energy but more annoying. Underground is cool lyrically, but kinda corny imo overall though if i added a few deluxe tracks, took out a few fillers its a 10/10. By far for flows, storytelling, creative concepts and beats. Best album since MMLP IMO 9/10 without refill tracks
    Recovery - f--- i realized how many albums this mof- has and im tired lmao, okay so anyway im gonna try to speedrun this now. Recovery was amazing to me when I was like 13. Its alright. Motivating and s---. Talking 2 Myself is my personal favorite. I love how admitted when he depressed, drug addicted and overweight he hated himself was insecure and almost dissed the goats lil wayne and kanye, he even admitted he nearly went too far (ems a goat too but ya know, it woulda been outta pocket to randomly diss them in their prime basically), Cold Wind Blows, amazing intro, so fun and funny and f---ing catchy. love the beat. wish more of the album had that not give a f--- attitude. great s---. Not Afraid got memed to death and his yelling on this and some others can get annoying but i still have a soft spot for it, its motivating and admittedly catchy and wholesome, dislike some puns here though (a bad habit that unfortunately started probably cause puns were hot like waynes at the time) , No Love, loved this in highschool, still a GOAT track, both killer performances. Good beat and sample. Only part I dont like is the "ITS A LITTLE TOO LATE TO SAY YOUYRE SORRY NOW" kinda cheesy but ems verse is so f---ing hungry BROTHER! So Bad is fun, similar to the intro here he's being badass effortlessly and flowing like a mof-, love it, fun but not amazing, Going Through Changes GOATED track, again very real and honest like Talkin 2 Myself pt 2 maybe even better, Space Bound, guilty pleasure but a bit corny, Youre Never Over sweet song, i actually find it kind of motivating and wholesome, obviously difficult was realer and more raw as a proof tribute but still i like it. overhated imo 6.3/10
    MMLP2
    - His best after Relapse in his later work. A big step up lyrically from Recovery. Only bad part is we got more s-----y puns and he started doing an annoying stop-start flow that ruined some songs. But The ending of Bad Guy alone is a masterpiece. His own conscience destroys him and he basically admits all the critics are right he's VERY almost too self aware of his flaws and hypocrisies. The beat in the 2nd half is anthemic and gives me chills unironically. I wish he still made songs like that. The skits are fun and a nice throwback, again he needs to do that more to still have fun be creative. Funny how Tyler loved this one when it came out then later said it was whack he went back to do the old him. I mean I get his point (Em always tries to outdo his old self or compare himself to previous stuff) but I think this album is decent man. Rhyme Or Reason is funny as f--- and relatable as someone with daddy issues. Uh, f---in, Legacy is a b-----r. Great motivational/depressing school anthem. Brainless had a relapse vibe which I of course f----- with since I think Em secretly knows he has a cult of Relapse fans (since he keeps putting in relapse style tracks like Framed and Discombobulated songs n his last 2 albums) Evil Twin is 10/10 for flows and humor Groundhog Day too, and Berzerk is fun but a bit goofy/annoying at times tbh. Overall though a step up and mostly less poppy than Recovery and less corny. Feels more like Shady. Soooo 7.5/10
    Revival ugh... we all know how most feel about this one. easily the most disappointed over an album ever probably. all over the place. lyrically lazy or trying to hard or weird puns. annoying WAY poppy, even worse than Recovery by a large margin. Framed is cool and Castle/Arose are great though. The rest is pretty forgettable or radio ed sheeran status. Not a fan. 3/10 easily his worst don't see why he or anyone defends it. I mean I guess it's his most "woke??" album but Idgaf it kinda sucks to me but whatever man he tried its cool it was a weird time with the trump freestyle lmao
    Kamikaze - Holy s--- sorry im tired bro i regret this i am going to bed soon sorry this is too long im not even bother formatting s--- anymore lmao. anyway, this one is cool, obviously a HUGE step up from Revival so people went ape s--- about how good it is... BUT it's not THAT good. I mean it's pretty good. The first half is solid. Falls off towards the end with tracks like Venom and Good Guy or whatever. But he was pretty hungry in the beginning so points for that. - points for being mostly about how everyone hated his last album (a trope hes done before) but still, some bangers. gotta give it to him. one of the more tolerable recent releases. 5/10 would be higher if he kept the consistency up the whole album and maybe changed topics more. but some good flows here and hunger.
    and finally (not doing pt 2, kinda consider it meh aside from discombobulate, a nice relapse type song)
    MTBMB - Better than Kamikaze overall, but a few tracks are forgettable and the intro song is not something I enjoy much, or some of the cheesy horrorcore vibes he tried to capture from relapse again. but saying that, Unocommodating has nice flow and good beat, You Gon Learn catchy and fun, Stepdad hilarious and overhated cause of the chorus idgaf its one of his best ina while along with, Little Engine again a great song, Marsh would be too but the chorus is a---, Darkness is the most creative song here. Dark (obv) but good.

Okay im done. Yep. That was something. Feel free to respond about how much relapse rocks/sucks in your opinion or any repsonses to this or whatever or not its cool im tired peace. fuc kit

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Dorian

Dorian A Gangsta

Nov 14, 2022
    It never was. lol

Evad, rapmusik and M Solo like this.
    Evad, rapmusik and M Solo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse John 3:16

Nov 14, 2022
    i think the best sounding beats soniclly were on relapse and mtbmb side b

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. dna hits

Nov 14, 2022
    At least he could still rap on beat with relapse. The beats were solid. Then Stan’s cried about the accent so he sold out with recovery having Rihanna save his a---. The real Relapse 2 would have been solid.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Nov 14, 2022

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Ids5621

Ids5621 R.I.P D12

Nov 14, 2022
    Relapse wasnt his peak, but it will remain as his last great album, and the last album that has the classic structure and elements of the OG eminem albums. Last time we really had that classic Eminem feeling

D12Shady, Evad and Marshall III like this.
    D12Shady, Evad and Marshall III like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Marshall III

Nov 14, 2022

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Modli2

Nov 14, 2022
    I guess, It will remain his post-hiatus peak but I like the other albums too, with Recovery being the weakest but listenable.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Nov 14, 2022
    Jesus

Minato, Ricky, jankland and 4 others like this.
    Minato, Ricky, jankland and 4 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Nov 14, 2022
    Eminem's approach is not conducive to a flawless project. Even his best albums are not perfect. If your persona is being weird, you're going to veer off into questionable territory in places. Revival was dogshit but his other recent albums have been fine. Fans are too hard on him, and take him waaaaay too seriously.

Modli2, Ripper Roo and Dorian like this.
    Modli2, Ripper Roo and Dorian like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Nov 14, 2022
    Aren't you doing that by saying even his best album is flawed? While true enough, in terms of quality the only real veer into "questionable territory" on MMLP is UTI, but only because of D12. And while TES may have its vices, the kind of fatal flaw you're talking about is only found in later styles. There are no Insanes or Big Weenies on the Big Three.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. henzINNIT

Nov 14, 2022
    How is that taking him too seriously? I could do without MMLP's extended blow job skit for instance. I'm not going to write an essay about it though.

Modli2 likes this.
    Modli2 likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Nov 14, 2022
    A skit? So the first example that comes to mind isn't even an actual song? Great argument!

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. henzINNIT

Nov 14, 2022
    ... Your logic I presume is that skits are worthless and not worth considering? So when evaluating the listening experience of an album that decided to include said pointless skits, it's unfair to include them in your judgement? Bad song, bad skit; it's time wasted either way. An unenjoyable skit is arguably more of an issue as it's not even music on an album of music.

Modli2 likes this.
    Modli2 likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Wreckless

Nov 14, 2022
    [​IMG]

Mar 28, 2024
  16. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Nov 14, 2022
    My logic is you're quibbling over a skit from an otherwise virtually flawless album after just saying fans are too hard on Eminem.

D12Shady likes this.
    D12Shady likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. GCasper

Nov 15, 2022
    MTBMB - Better than Kamikaze overall, but a few tracks are forgettable and the intro song is not something I enjoy much, or some of the cheesy horrorcore vibes he tried to capture from relapse again. but saying that, Unocommodating has nice flow and good beat, You Gon Learn catchy and fun, Stepdad hilarious and overhated cause of the chorus idgaf its one of his best ina while along with, Little Engine again a great song, Marsh would be too but the chorus is a---, Darkness is the most creative song here. Dark (obv) but good.

Em gave us 30 tracks of pure fire. I never thought we would get this from him again. I think it's one of his top 3 albums.

Most artists are only giving us 30 minutes of music. Em gave us 2 hours' worth of new music that was NOT garbage.

If you were not happy with Kamikaze or MTBMB. You might as well move on because you're not getting any better than these.

TheRealEbonIvore and Z Gangsta like this.
    TheRealEbonIvore and Z Gangsta like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Nov 15, 2022
    Relapse is great, but not his peak.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. henzINNIT

Nov 15, 2022
    Nah man. You're saying I'm being too hard on Eminem for saying his best albums aren't perfect. Then you go on to say they're virtually flawless. Is that not the same d--- thing? The skit was the first example that came to mind as a flaw on a great project, but I'm not shi--ing on the albums everyone loves. Being too precious about Em's peak is normally the root of people complaining about later stuff.

Modli2 likes this.
    Modli2 likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. The Lyricvore

The Lyricvore shangri la frontier

Nov 15, 2022
    His peak as a rapper was 8mile \ devils night . During this time he had rap perfected . And honestly might be the only artist to do so . His flow , the way he pronounced words , his rhymes . He had every element . and being the relapse fan I am I feel like relapse 2 could have been peak material. Like how the mmlp was a more perfected and polished version of the Sslp. I think relapse 2 could not of been the same type of upgrade

Modli2 and D12Shady like this.
    Modli2 and D12Shady like this.
    Mar 28, 2024